* [question] how show messages with bold or colored or different font sizes
@ 2021-09-19 15:48 physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2021-09-19 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

hello,
i wonder how i could see received messages with bold, italic or
underlined text. Or text with colored words or text with different font
sizes.

my wife sends messages with thunderbird, but inside gnus these things are
gone.
Is it possible with gnus to show the messages with these attributes?

regards
Poul

* Re: [question] how show messages with bold or colored or different font sizes
@ 2021-09-19 18:11 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2021-09-19 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

physiculus writes:

> my wife sends messages with thunderbird, but inside gnus these things are
> gone.
> Is it possible with gnus to show the messages with these attributes?

Are you talking about emails in HTML format, and/or in both text and
HTML?

The default is to render them with shr, which does a pretty good job of
showing such formatting.

Do you have an example you can share?

Do you have any configuration set up to prefer text/ignore HTML?

E.g. I have:

  ;; Don't display html inline
  (setq
   mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched")
   mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display))

which is the opposite of what you want. At work I have configured Gnus
the other way around, i.e. to display text/html.

What is the value of mm-text-html-renderer in your setup?

,----[ C-h v mm-text-html-renderer RET ]
| mm-text-html-renderer is a variable defined in ‘mm-decode.el’.
|
| Its value is ‘shr’
|
|   You can customize this variable.
|   This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
|   version 27.1 of Emacs.
|   Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 27.1.
|
| Render of HTML contents.
| It is one of defined renderer types, or a rendering function.
| The defined renderer types are:
| ‘shr’: use the built-in Gnus HTML renderer;
| ‘gnus-w3m’: use Gnus renderer based on w3m;
| ‘w3m’: use emacs-w3m;
| ‘w3m-standalone’: use plain w3m;
| ‘links’: use links;
| ‘lynx’: use lynx;
| ‘html2text’: use html2text.
`----

In my experience the default, shr, is preferable for HTML email.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Unfortunately, much of the Web is like an anthill         Adam Sjøgren
  built by ants on LSD"                                asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: [question] how show messages with bold or colored or different font sizes
@ 2021-09-19 19:26   ` physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2021-09-19 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Hello,
thanks for the quick answer.
hope my edit helps
Regards
Poul

Am So, 2021-09-19, 20:11 +0200, Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> schrieb:

> physiculus writes:
>
>> my wife sends messages with thunderbird, but inside gnus these things are
>> gone.
>> Is it possible with gnus to show the messages with these attributes?
>
> Are you talking about emails in HTML format, and/or in both text and
> HTML?
>
> The default is to render them with shr, which does a pretty good job of
> showing such formatting.
>
> Do you have an example you can share?
here is a message:

  pts rule name              description
 -0.7 RCVD_IN_DNSWL_LOW      RBL: Sender listed at https://www.dnswl.org/,
                             low trust
                             [80.237.132.77 listed in list.dnswl.org]
  0.0 HTML_FONT_SIZE_LARGE   BODY: HTML font size is large
  0.0 RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H3      RBL: Good reputation (+3)
                             [80.237.132.77 listed in wl.mailspike.net]
  0.0 RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_WL      Mailspike good senders

--------------4E1A7030A865AFAD184E7054

Ich schreibe hier ein Text f¼r dich zum testen:

Ein, zwei W¶rter farbig farbig
Ein, zwei W¶rter *fett fett*
Ein, zwei W¶rter /kursiv kursiv/
Ein, zwei W¶rter in unterschiedlichen Gr¶Ÿen Gr¶Ÿen Gr¶Ÿen

--------------4E1A7030A865AFAD184E7054

  <head>

  </head>
      Ein, zwei W¶rter <font color="#ff0000">farbig <font
      Ein, zwei W¶rter in unterschiedlichen <font size="-2">Gr¶Ÿen</font>

--------------4E1A7030A865AFAD184E7054--

> Do you have any configuration set up to prefer text/ignore HTML?
>
> E.g. I have:
>
>   ;; Don't display html inline
>   (setq
>    mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched")
>    mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display))
Here is my setting:
Its value is ("text/html" "text/richtext" "image/.*")

and
Its value is
("text/plain" "text/enriched" "text/richtext" "text/html" "text/x-verbatim" "text/calendar" "text/x-vcard" "image/.*" "message/delivery-status" "multipart/.*" "message/rfc822" "text/x-patch" "text/dns" "application/pgp-signature" "application/emacs-lisp" "application/x-emacs-lisp" "application/x-pkcs7-signature" "application/pkcs7-signature" "application/x-pkcs7-mime" "application/pkcs7-mime" "application/pgp\\'" "text/x-org")

> which is the opposite of what you want. At work I have configured Gnus
> the other way around, i.e. to display text/html.
>
> What is the value of mm-text-html-renderer in your setup?
my setting:
Its value is \x18shr\x19

--
Jens Reimer

* Re: [question] how show messages with bold or colored or different font sizes
@ 2021-09-19 20:03     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2021-09-19 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

physiculus writes:

> here is a message:

This is what that email looks like in my Gnus:

 · https://koldfront.dk/misc/gnus/email-screenshot.png

(when I remove "text/html" from mm-discouraged-alternatives, and leave
"text/html" in mm-automatic-display).

It looks like the only thing shr ignores is the font size part.

>> Do you have any configuration set up to prefer text/ignore HTML?
>>
>> E.g. I have:
>>
>>   ;; Don't display html inline
>>   (setq
>>    mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched")
>>    mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display))

> Here is my setting:
> Its value is ("text/html" "text/richtext" "image/.*")

Well, there's your problem. You've told Gnus to prefer not displaying
text/html.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "And when your friends begin to lose their way...          Adam Sjøgren
  Don't look back just helpyourselfish"                asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: [question] how show messages with bold or colored or different font sizes
@ 2021-09-20  6:26       ` physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2021-09-20  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Am So, 2021-09-19, 22:03 +0200, Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> schrieb:
Hello,
i changed my settings and now gnus display bold and italics and bold.
but no color and no font sizes.

do you know why?

regards
poul

--
Jens Reimer

* Re: [question] how show messages with bold or colored or different font sizes
@ 2021-09-20  6:50         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2021-09-20  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

physiculus writes:

> i changed my settings and now gnus display bold and italics and bold.
> but no color and no font sizes.
>
> do you know why?

No. I'm guessing it is something in your configuration. Have you changed
it to display the HTML part or the text part?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "They are very important clients, they can't wait."        Adam Sjøgren
 "They're about to."                                   asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: [question] how show messages with bold or colored or different font sizes
@ 2021-09-20  7:02           ` Physiculus
From: Physiculus @ 2021-09-20  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

I changed it to display html part.
Perhaps an issue in my shr configuration or gnus?
I dont know 🤔

Von: Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk>
An: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Datum: 20.09.2021 08:51:20
Betreff: Re: [question] how show messages with bold or colored or
different font sizes

@ 2021-09-20 17:25           ` physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2021-09-20 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Am Mo, 2021-09-20, 08:50 +0200, Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> schrieb:

I'm on a step forward!
colors are correct.
bold, italics are correct.
font sizes not.

here is the raw html.
Ein, zwei W¶rter in unterschiedlichen <font size="-2">Gr¶Ÿen</font>
      size="+3">Gr¶Ÿen<br>

command C-u C-x = dont show a different face, only variable-pitch Height
1.0
so i guess a render component don't recognize the html font size factor.

Any ideas?

Regards
Poul

--
Jens Reimer

* Re: [question] how show messages with bold or colored or different font sizes
@ 2021-09-20 17:58             ` physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2021-09-20 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: physiculus; +Cc: Adam Sjøgren, info-gnus-english

Am Mo, 2021-09-20, 19:25 +0200, physiculus <physiculus@gmail.com> schrieb:

> Am Mo, 2021-09-20, 08:50 +0200, Adam Sjgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> schrieb:
>
> I'm on a step forward!
> colors are correct.
> bold, italics are correct.
> font sizes not.
>
> here is the raw html.
> Ein, zwei Wrter in unterschiedlichen <font size="-2">GrŸen</font>
>       size="+3">GrŸen<br>
>
> command C-u C-x = dont show a different face, only variable-pitch Height
> 1.0
> so i guess a render component don't recognize the html font size factor.
>
> Any ideas?
I find out that rendering this message with external browser works!
command K H

Is it possible, that this is a bug in shr?

--
Jens Reimer

* Re: [question] how show messages with bold or colored or different font sizes
@ 2021-09-20 19:36             ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2021-09-20 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

physiculus writes:

> I'm on a step forward!

What did you change?

> colors are correct.
> bold, italics are correct.
> font sizes not.

That's also what you saw on my screenshot.

physiculus writes:

> Is it possible, that this is a bug in shr?

Yes, or perhaps a feature.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "En monoton vers behöver en stark refräng"                 Adam Sjøgren
                                                       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: [question] how show messages with bold or colored or different font sizes
@ 2021-09-21  4:55               ` physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2021-09-21  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

hello,

i set shr-use-fonts and shr-use-colors to t.

but now the colors in html mails from other poeple are mostly terrible.
too light or too dark, no real good mix.

@ 2021-09-21 14:25   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2021-09-21 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> Are you talking about emails in HTML format, and/or in both text and
> HTML?
>
> The default is to render them with shr, which does a pretty good job of
> showing such formatting.
>
> Do you have an example you can share?
>
> Do you have any configuration set up to prefer text/ignore HTML?
>
> E.g. I have:
>
>   ;; Don't display html inline
>   (setq
>    mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched")
>    mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display))
>
> which is the opposite of what you want. At work I have configured Gnus
> the other way around, i.e. to display text/html.
>
> What is the value of mm-text-html-renderer in your setup?
>
> ,----[ C-h v mm-text-html-renderer RET ]
> | mm-text-html-renderer is a variable defined in ‘mm-decode.el’.
> |
> | Its value is ‘shr’
> |
> |   You can customize this variable.
> |   This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
> |   version 27.1 of Emacs.
> |   Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 27.1.
> |
> | Render of HTML contents.
> | It is one of defined renderer types, or a rendering function.
> | The defined renderer types are:
> | ‘shr’: use the built-in Gnus HTML renderer;
> | ‘gnus-w3m’: use Gnus renderer based on w3m;
> | ‘w3m’: use emacs-w3m;
> | ‘w3m-standalone’: use plain w3m;
> | ‘links’: use links;
> | ‘lynx’: use lynx;
> | ‘html2text’: use html2text.
> `----
>
> In my experience the default, shr, is preferable for HTML email.

Hi Adam.

Your comment above scratched an itch I've had for several years now, at
last I can see html-like emails using 'shr'. Before I used 'w3m', and I
could right-click a link and then copy the url to the clipboard for
pasting into a browser. Unfortunately I've now lost that ability through
using 'shr'.

Do you know how I can regain the right-click of the mouse ability please?

Thanks
  Sharon.
- --
Debian 11, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 28.0.50, org 9.4.6

* Re: [question] how show messages with bold or colored or different font sizes
@ 2021-09-21 18:48                 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2021-09-21 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

physiculus writes:

> i set shr-use-fonts and shr-use-colors to t.

Ok, those are the defaults, so you had configured them previously, I
guess?

> but now the colors in html mails from other poeple are mostly terrible.
> too light or too dark, no real good mix.

Another good reason to discourage the use of HTML in email :-)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of            Adam Sjøgren
  confusion of ideas that could provoke such a         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: [question] how show messages with bold or colored or different font sizes
@ 2021-09-21 18:55     ` Adam Sjøgren
  2021-09-21 22:07       ` Gnus signature bug [screenshot] (was: Re: [question] how show messages with bold or colored or different font sizes) Emanuel Berg via Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader (in English)
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2021-09-21 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sharon writes:

> at last I can see html-like emails using 'shr'. Before I used 'w3m',
> and I could right-click a link and then copy the url to the clipboard
> for pasting into a browser. Unfortunately I've now lost that ability
> through using 'shr'.

> Do you know how I can regain the right-click of the mouse ability
> please?

No.

However, if I left-click on a link in an article, it opens in my default
browser.

If I press u with point on the link in the article, the URL is copied to
the clipboard.

If I press w in the *Summary* buffer, Gnus will open the link in the
article in my default browser - prompting if there is more than one
link.

Are any of those options useful for you?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Who's got time for this nonsense! I'm a busy guy!         Adam Sjøgren
  I've got things to do! The *last* thing *I* need is  asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: [question] how show messages with bold or colored or different font sizes
@ 2021-09-21 21:57                   ` Emanuel Berg via Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader (in English)
From: Emanuel Berg via Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader (in English) @ 2021-09-21 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> Another good reason to discourage the use of HTML in email :-)

You mean like this?

(setq mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext"))

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Gnus signature bug [screenshot] (was: Re: [question] how show messages with bold or colored or different font sizes)
@ 2021-09-21 22:07       ` Emanuel Berg via Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader (in English)
From: Emanuel Berg via Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader (in English) @ 2021-09-21 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Oh!

After all these years, this bug again!

I reported it ~10 years ago but no one was able to reproduce
it, but now I have Lessie on camera! (Maybe Gnus is more
like Yeti...)

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/figures/emacs/gnus/gnus-sig.png

Note that I saw two posts from you (Mr. Adam Sjøgren) and the
first post was cool, this only appeared in your

post!

Cool BTW:

  Denmark

:)

--

@ 2021-09-23  8:00       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2021-09-23  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Morning Adam.

> Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> Sharon writes:
>
>> at last I can see html-like emails using 'shr'. Before I used 'w3m',
>> and I could right-click a link and then copy the url to the clipboard
>> for pasting into a browser. Unfortunately I've now lost that ability
>> through using 'shr'.
>
>> Do you know how I can regain the right-click of the mouse ability
>> please?
>
> No.
>
> However, if I left-click on a link in an article, it opens in my default
> browser.

I haven't tried this one yet.

> If I press u with point on the link in the article, the URL is copied to
> the clipboard.

But this works a treat!

> If I press w in the *Summary* buffer, Gnus will open the link in the
> article in my default browser - prompting if there is more than one
> link.

And this works too, so thank you very much. :)

> Are any of those options useful for you?

Thanks again
   Sharon.
- --
Debian 11, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 28.0.50, org 9.4.6