* Re: saving gwene RSS posts
       [not found] <mailman.15223.1392529451.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2014-03-05 13:10 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-03-05 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sivaram Neelakantan; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> What's the best/preferred way to save RSS full text feeds?  I've
> subscribed to a few RSS feeds and I'd like to save some of those
> articles/posts.  I think mailing them to myself is certainly not the
> way.
>
> something like marking them and upon exiting the group, it copies the
> article to a nnml folder, perhaps?

Gnus can copy messages to local storage using a caching mechanism.  See
the manual for details.

* Re: saving gwene RSS posts
@ 2014-03-06 17:04   ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2014-03-06 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Wed, Mar 05 2014,Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> What's the best/preferred way to save RSS full text feeds?  I've
>> subscribed to a few RSS feeds and I'd like to save some of those
>> articles/posts.  I think mailing them to myself is certainly not the
>> way.
>>
>> something like marking them and upon exiting the group, it copies the
>> article to a nnml folder, perhaps?
>
> Gnus can copy messages to local storage using a caching mechanism.  See
> the manual for details.

I've had a look at article caching and I can't figure how that would
apply to my use case.  Some RSS articles I want to save for long term
reference.  Is it enough to simply copy them to some other folder,
preferably in the same format that I see in the gwene ng?

3.16 Saving Articles section gives some options that I find it hard to
choose from.  Any advice?

 sivaram

* Re: saving gwene RSS posts
@ 2014-03-06 17:08     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-03-06 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sivaram Neelakantan; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> I've had a look at article caching and I can't figure how that would
> apply to my use case.  Some RSS articles I want to save for long term
> reference.  Is it enough to simply copy them to some other folder,
> preferably in the same format that I see in the gwene ng?

The `*' command will cache the message locally.

* Re: saving gwene RSS posts
@ 2014-04-15 17:49       ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2014-04-15 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Thu, Mar 06 2014,Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I've had a look at article caching and I can't figure how that would
>> apply to my use case.  Some RSS articles I want to save for long term
>> reference.  Is it enough to simply copy them to some other folder,
>> preferably in the same format that I see in the gwene ng?
>
> The `*' command will cache the message locally.

Looks like I misunderstood what the * option does for caching. I've
been marking some articles with * and I see that it has all expired
now and no longer in the group.

I think my use case goes like this.

How I keep certain articles in the group without it ever expiring
unless I mark it for deletion or delete it.  I've subbed to some RSS
feeds where I'd like to retain specific posts forever within the
group.

How do I do that, please?

 sivaram

* Re: saving gwene RSS posts
@ 2014-04-17 10:56         ` Wolfgang Jenkner
From: Wolfgang Jenkner @ 2014-04-17 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sivaram Neelakantan; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, info-gnus-english

On Tue, Apr 15 2014, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 06 2014,Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>
>> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I've had a look at article caching and I can't figure how that would
>>> apply to my use case.  Some RSS articles I want to save for long term
>>> reference.  Is it enough to simply copy them to some other folder,
>>> preferably in the same format that I see in the gwene ng?
>>
>> The `*' command will cache the message locally.
>
> Looks like I misunderstood what the * option does for caching. I've
> been marking some articles with * and I see that it has all expired
> now and no longer in the group.

They should be still there, try `Y c' in the summary buffer, see

(info "(gnus) Summary Generation Commands")

> How I keep certain articles in the group without it ever expiring
> unless I mark it for deletion or delete it.

Change the value of gnus-use-cache from `passive' to some other non-nil
value.  You can then mark those articles as `ticked' or `dormant' and
that will automatically mark them as persistent as well.

See (info "(gnus) Article Caching") and (info "(gnus) Unread Articles").

Alternatively (well, even at the same time...) you could agentize the
server in question and then you don't need any of the stuff described
above since, by default, the agent doesn't expire ticked articles in its
own cache (which is different from the cache described above).

Wolfgang

* Re: saving gwene RSS posts
@ 2014-04-18 16:55         ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-04-18 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 06 2014,Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>
>> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I've had a look at article caching and I can't figure how that would
>>> apply to my use case.  Some RSS articles I want to save for long term
>>> reference.  Is it enough to simply copy them to some other folder,
>>> preferably in the same format that I see in the gwene ng?
>>
>> The `*' command will cache the message locally.
>
> Looks like I misunderstood what the * option does for caching. I've
> been marking some articles with * and I see that it has all expired
> now and no longer in the group.
>
> I think my use case goes like this.
>
> How I keep certain articles in the group without it ever expiring
> unless I mark it for deletion or delete it.  I've subbed to some RSS
> feeds where I'd like to retain specific posts forever within the
> group.
>
> How do I do that, please?

How about 'ticking' each required email with the "!" ? I've found that this
works for me, so far at least anyway.

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.4.50.6

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: saving gwene RSS posts
@ 2014-04-23  3:30           ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2014-04-23  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Jenkner; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, info-gnus-english

On Thu, Apr 17 2014,Wolfgang Jenkner wrote:

[snipped 17 lines]

> They should be still there, try `Y c' in the summary buffer, see

ahh, yes, that does bring it up. Thanks for the help

> (info "(gnus) Summary Generation Commands")
>
>> How I keep certain articles in the group without it ever expiring
>> unless I mark it for deletion or delete it.
>
> Change the value of gnus-use-cache from `passive' to some other non-nil
> value.  You can then mark those articles as `ticked' or `dormant' and
> that will automatically mark them as persistent as well.
>
> See (info "(gnus) Article Caching") and (info "(gnus) Unread Articles").
>
> Alternatively (well, even at the same time...) you could agentize the
> server in question and then you don't need any of the stuff described
> above since, by default, the agent doesn't expire ticked articles in its
> own cache (which is different from the cache described above).

Agentize is not something I want to try for fear of downloading
massive list of articles. Besides I'm likely to mess things up with
agent.

@ 2014-02-18  0:06 ` N. Jackson
From: N. Jackson @ 2014-02-18  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

At 01:43 -0400 on Sunday 2014-02-16, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:

> What's the best/preferred way to save RSS full text feeds?  I've
> subscribed to a few RSS feeds and I'd like to save some of those
> articles/posts.  I think mailing them to myself is certainly not the
> way.
>
> something like marking them and upon exiting the group, it copies the
> article to a nnml folder, perhaps?

Well there's gnus-summary-copy-article bound to B c. It prompts you
"Copy this article to: " and you can specify the group/folder to which
you want it copied. Perhaps that's what you're looking for.

It gives you tab completion of the group name, but I find it a bit
strange to use. I'm new to tab completion in Emacs, though, so this is
possibly just my ignorance. (For example it's strangely powerful in some
ways -- you can be incredibly terse -- but it's case sensitive which I
find awkward.)

N.

* saving gwene RSS posts
@ 2014-02-16  5:43 Sivaram Neelakantan