* Customizing group buffer - strange "number of total articles"
@ 2013-04-15  7:58 Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-04-15  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi

I changed my group buffer format and added %t whic, according to the
manual is

,----
| `t'
|   Total number of articles.
`----

but it gives me very strange numbers, e.g. in the Inbox of my gmail
account (synced via offlineimap) I get nearly 10 times the number of
actual messages. It is an local imap account. I checked the number of
files in the Inbox folder of gmail, and it is also only about 10% of
number shown for %t.

I also read in the info manual that it is only an estimate and the
liitations for nntp, but my backend is nnimap and I can therefore not
compact.

So my queestion is: is there a way of getting the number of mails from
the nnimap backend in the group buffer?

Thanks,

Rainer

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: Customizing group buffer - strange "number of total articles"
@ 2013-04-21 12:07 ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2013-04-21 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2013-04-15, Rainer M. Krug wrote:

> Hi
>
> I changed my group buffer format and added %t whic, according to the
> manual is
>
> ,----
> | `t'
> |   Total number of articles.
> `----
>
> but it gives me very strange numbers, e.g. in the Inbox of my gmail
> account (synced via offlineimap) I get nearly 10 times the number of
> actual messages. It is an local imap account. I checked the number of
> files in the Inbox folder of gmail, and it is also only about 10% of
> number shown for %t.
>
> I also read in the info manual that it is only an estimate and the
> liitations for nntp, but my backend is nnimap and I can therefore not
> compact.
>
> So my queestion is: is there a way of getting the number of mails from
> the nnimap backend in the group buffer?

(info "(gnus)FAQ 4-12")

Question 4.12

The number of total messages in a group which Gnus displays in group
buffer is by far to high, especially in mail groups. Is this a bug?

Answer

No, that's a matter of design of Gnus, fixing this would mean
reimplementation of major parts of Gnus' back ends. Gnus thinks
"highest-article-number - lowest-article-number =
total-number-of-articles". This works OK for Usenet groups, but if you
delete and move many messages in mail groups, this fails. To cure the
symptom, enter the group via `C-u RET' (this makes Gnus get all
messages), then hit `M P b' to mark all messages and then say `B m
name.of.group' to move all messages to the group they have been in
before, they get new message numbers in this process and the count is
right again (until you delete and move your mail to other groups again).

--
Best regards!

* Re: Customizing group buffer - strange "number of total articles"
@ 2013-04-22  7:55   ` Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-04-22  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksandr Gavenko; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2013-04-15, Rainer M. Krug wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I changed my group buffer format and added %t whic, according to the
>> manual is
>>
>> ,----
>> | `t'
>> |   Total number of articles.
>> `----
>>
>> but it gives me very strange numbers, e.g. in the Inbox of my gmail
>> account (synced via offlineimap) I get nearly 10 times the number of
>> actual messages. It is an local imap account. I checked the number of
>> files in the Inbox folder of gmail, and it is also only about 10% of
>> number shown for %t.
>>
>> I also read in the info manual that it is only an estimate and the
>> liitations for nntp, but my backend is nnimap and I can therefore not
>> compact.
>>
>> So my queestion is: is there a way of getting the number of mails from
>> the nnimap backend in the group buffer?
>>

> (info "(gnus)FAQ 4-12")
>
> Question 4.12
>
> The number of total messages in a group which Gnus displays in group
> buffer is by far to high, especially in mail groups. Is this a bug?
>
> Answer
>
> No, that's a matter of design of Gnus, fixing this would mean
> reimplementation of major parts of Gnus' back ends. Gnus thinks
> "highest-article-number - lowest-article-number =
> total-number-of-articles". This works OK for Usenet groups, but if you
> delete and move many messages in mail groups, this fails. To cure the
> symptom, enter the group via `C-u RET' (this makes Gnus get all
> messages), then hit `M P b' to mark all messages and then say `B m
> name.of.group' to move all messages to the group they have been in
> before, they get new message numbers in this process and the count is
> right again (until you delete and move your mail to other groups again).
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
Thanks for showing me the FAQ - makes sense.

I will think about it and see if I can work around that.\

Cheers,

Rainer

Stellenbosch University
South Africa