* long lines in followups
@ 2013-03-15  0:56 Tiu
From: Tiu @ 2013-03-15  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello, quoting a post with a long line like this:

"(Ce robot répond à tout message isolé -- pas les réponses -- posté sur fr.test contenant le mot clé 'test' ou 'essai'.)"

it gives me two this, with the second line/part of phrase not quoted:

"> (Ce robot r=C3=A9pond =C3=A0 tout message isol=C3=A9 -- pas les r=C3=A9po=
nses -- post=C3=A9 sur fr.test contenant le mot cl=C3=A9 'test' ou 'essai'.)"

So the problem is I wanna respect a 72 width for lines both posting and
following-up to others. Tried various snippets like

;;; Word wrap articles (W w)
(add-hook 'gnus-select-article-hook
  '(lambda ()
    (gnus-article-fill-cited-article)))

with no success.
Another question, I see ther's control and meta keys but what's the
sequence to "W w" and the likes?

thxy

* Re: long lines in followups
@ 2013-03-15 14:49 ` Corey Wells
From: Corey Wells @ 2013-03-15 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Tiu <putr@his.org> writes:

> So the problem is I wanna respect a 72 width for lines both posting
> and following-up to others. Tried various snippets like
> with no success.

FILL-CITED-ARTICLE will only work when an article is being displayed,
not when being replied to. To word wrap when composing, try the key
combination M-q, which is bound by default to the function
FILL-PARAGRAPH. It works in every mode, not just Gnus. It can fill
regions and also fixes quote marks for you.

You can customize the desired width with the "fill-column" variable.

> Another question, I see ther's control and meta keys but what's the
> sequence to "W w" and the likes?

There are no modifiers for these. You just type the letters when viewing
an article, like in vi. Note the case sensitivity: you'd press Shift+w
w.

* Re: long lines in followups
@ 2013-03-15 16:10   ` Tiu
From: Tiu @ 2013-03-15 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Corey Wells <asdf@fdsa.net> writes:

> Tiu <putr@his.org> writes:
>
>> So the problem is I wanna respect a 72 width for lines both posting
>> and following-up to others. Tried various snippets like
>> with no success.
>
> FILL-CITED-ARTICLE will only work when an article is being displayed,
> not when being replied to. To word wrap when composing, try the key
> combination M-q, which is bound by default to the function
> FILL-PARAGRAPH. It works in every mode, not just Gnus. It can fill
> regions and also fixes quote marks for you.
>
> You can customize the desired width with the "fill-column" variable.

Thank you. Using M-q is working but maybe now I'm making confusion of
few things possibly because of aioe.org, quoted printable and other
factors. Quoting the line from the example above (testing in fr.test
btw) it goes yet to a new line. Is it because of quoted-printable?
Lookin at the message the non ascii accented vowels I'm quoting are
transformed like "=C3=A9". Seems like gnus reformat counting the chars
and not those representations, am I wrong? Shoud I disable
quoted-printable anyway?

>> Another question, I see ther's control and meta keys but what's the
>> sequence to "W w" and the likes?
>
> There are no modifiers for these. You just type the letters when viewing
> an article, like in vi. Note the case sensitivity: you'd press Shift+w
> w.

Oh ok, but I've to enter the sequence when looking at the article body
right? I'll try again then.

* Re: long lines in followups
@ 2013-03-15 16:23     ` Tiu
From: Tiu @ 2013-03-15 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Tiu <putr@his.org> writes:

> Oh ok, but I've to enter the sequence when looking at the article body
> right? I'll try again then.

Ok, was tryin while editing the message that's why was not working.

* Re: long lines in followups
@ 2013-03-15 21:01     ` Corey Wells
From: Corey Wells @ 2013-03-15 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Tiu <putr@his.org> writes:

> Thank you. Using M-q is working but maybe now I'm making confusion of
> few things possibly because of aioe.org, quoted printable and other
> factors. Quoting the line from the example above (testing in fr.test
> btw) it goes yet to a new line. Is it because of quoted-printable?
> Lookin at the message the non ascii accented vowels I'm quoting are
> transformed like "=C3=A9". Seems like gnus reformat counting the chars
> and not those representations, am I wrong? Shoud I disable
> quoted-printable anyway?

(Reposting since it didn't seem to go through earlier)

I quoted a message in a.fr.test and it showed up fine. It filled the
text fine, as well. In addition, I posted a message to a.fr.test with
French text (from Wikipedia) with non-ASCII characters. I was able to
fill the text, post it, and view it without any problems.

Basically, it works for me. I am not using aioe, but rather my ISP's own
server (don't know if my ISP actually runs it, though). On Linux x86_64
with Emacs 24.2.

I'd try removing anything you might have added to try to get
international characters working (like quoted-printable) in order to see
if the defaults will work. Also try quoting different languages and
posts, since it might have been that the post you were trying to quote
was messed up in some way.

I don't know much about character encodings since I only read/post
English, but from what I understand, they can be a real pain in the
ass. You might want to check in with the folks over at #emacs #emacsfr
and #gnus on irc.freenode.net . They can tell you more than I can.