* nnimap problems
@ 2011-01-18 19:06 Jim Burton
From: Jim Burton @ 2011-01-18 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi, I am using gnus Gnus/5.110011 (No Gnus v0.11) with the Arch Linux
package. I'm using this because I read that it has many improvements in
nnimap. My emacs is GNU Emacs 23.2.1.

I have two nnimap groups, and quite often (several times per day)
refreshing all groups hangs on one of those groups, or if I refrsh one
of those groups alone, it also hangs quite a lot. I can cancel, try
again, and I get through. Another issue I have is that sometimes when I
start gnus these groups are checked as normal but apparently have no
messages. I know this is unlikely, so refresh them again, and there are
messages there. When I use wanderlust, both of these mail servers are
pretty responsive.

Is IMAP still best done with a local Dovecot installation or I am I
doing something wrong? It occured to me that connections might be timing
out somewhere and `dead' handles being used?

Many thanks,

Jim
--
J Burton
jim@sdf-eu.org

* Re: nnimap problems
@ 2011-01-18 19:32 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-18 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Jim Burton <jim@sdf-eu.org> writes:

> Hi, I am using gnus Gnus/5.110011 (No Gnus v0.11) with the Arch Linux
> package. I'm using this because I read that it has many improvements in
> nnimap. My emacs is GNU Emacs 23.2.1.
>
> I have two nnimap groups, and quite often (several times per day)
> refreshing all groups hangs on one of those groups, or if I refrsh one
> of those groups alone, it also hangs quite a lot. I can cancel, try
> again, and I get through. Another issue I have is that sometimes when I
> start gnus these groups are checked as normal but apparently have no
> messages. I know this is unlikely, so refresh them again, and there are
> messages there. When I use wanderlust, both of these mail servers are
> pretty responsive.
>
> Is IMAP still best done with a local Dovecot installation or I am I
> doing something wrong? It occured to me that connections might be timing
> out somewhere and `dead' handles being used?

In case it helps you locate the issue, using nognus from git, and local
dovecot I have no such issues. (emacs 23 and 24).

* Re: nnimap problems
@ 2011-01-22 20:01 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-22 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Jim Burton <jim@sdf-eu.org> writes:

> I have two nnimap groups, and quite often (several times per day)
> refreshing all groups hangs on one of those groups, or if I refrsh one
> of those groups alone, it also hangs quite a lot.

`M-g' on a group hangs?  Try to (setq debug-on-quit t) and post the
backtrace you get when it hangs.

* Re: nnimap problems
@ 2011-01-23  1:23   ` Jim Burton
From: Jim Burton @ 2011-01-23  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Jim Burton <jim@sdf-eu.org> writes:
>
>> I have two nnimap groups, and quite often (several times per day)
>> refreshing all groups hangs on one of those groups, or if I refrsh one
>> of those groups alone, it also hangs quite a lot.
>
> `M-g' on a group hangs?  Try to (setq debug-on-quit t) and post the
> backtrace you get when it hangs.

Thanks for the advice, I'll do that.

Jim
--