* Ignore reply-to
@ 2010-05-05  8:15 Cecil Westerhof
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-05-05  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

In some e-mail clients it is possible to send a reply to the address in
the From field, even when the Reply-to field is filled. Is this also
possible in Gnus? Sometimes you want to reply to the original sender and
not to the mailing list.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: Ignore reply-to
@ 2010-05-05 11:14 ` Gijs Hillenius
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2010-05-05 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On  5 May 2010, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> In some e-mail clients it is possible to send a reply to the address in
> the From field, even when the Reply-to field is filled. Is this also
> possible in Gnus? Sometimes you want to reply to the original sender and
> not to the mailing list.

Yeah, of course this is possible. You enter that To-address, replacing
the one that was taken from the reply-to, that you don't want to use.

or

M-<, M-f, M-f, M-b, C-k, and you're good to go :-)

I have a hunch you want to automate this, but, can Gnus read your mind?
I'd like that ...

* Re: Ignore reply-to
@ 2010-05-05 12:05   ` Cecil Westerhof
       [not found]   ` <mailman.13.1273155208.25276.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-05-05 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs-nospm-@hillenius.net> writes:

>> In some e-mail clients it is possible to send a reply to the address in
>> the From field, even when the Reply-to field is filled. Is this also
>> possible in Gnus? Sometimes you want to reply to the original sender and
>> not to the mailing list.
>
> Yeah, of course this is possible. You enter that To-address, replacing
> the one that was taken from the reply-to, that you don't want to use.
>
> or
>
> M-<, M-f, M-f, M-b, C-k, and you're good to go :-)
>
> I have a hunch you want to automate this, but, can Gnus read your mind?
> I'd like that ...

No, but just like in for example Mutt it could reserve a key combination
for it. It looks like there is nothing for it, so maybe I should write
something.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: Ignore reply-to
@ 2010-05-06  7:41   ` Bastien
       [not found]   ` <mailman.13.1273155208.25276.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Bastien @ 2010-05-06  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gijs Hillenius; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs-nospm-@hillenius.net> writes:

> M-<, M-f, M-f, M-b, C-k, and you're good to go :-)

C-c C-f C-t C-a C-k

Not shorter, but cleaner ;)

--
Bastien

* Re: Ignore reply-to
       [not found]   ` <mailman.13.1273155208.25276.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2010-05-06 14:54     ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2010-05-06 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On  6 May 2010, Bastien wrote:

> Gijs Hillenius <gijs-nospm-@hillenius.net> writes:
>
>> M-<, M-f, M-f, M-b, C-k, and you're good to go :-)
>
> C-c C-f C-t C-a C-k
>
> Not shorter, but cleaner ;)

Very nice! These moves are Gnus-specific, yes?

* Re: Ignore reply-to
@ 2010-05-06 16:24 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2010-05-06 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

> In some e-mail clients it is possible to send a reply to the address
> in the From field, even when the Reply-to field is filled. Is this
> also possible in Gnus? Sometimes you want to reply to the original
> sender and not to the mailing list.

S B r (without quoting of original) S B R (with quoting).

which are the keybindings for

gnus-summary-reply-broken-reply-to and
gnus-summary-reply-broken-reply-to-with-original

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Ignore reply-to
@ 2010-05-06 18:03   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-05-06 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

>> In some e-mail clients it is possible to send a reply to the address
>> in the From field, even when the Reply-to field is filled. Is this
>> also possible in Gnus? Sometimes you want to reply to the original
>> sender and not to the mailing list.
>
> S B r (without quoting of original) S B R (with quoting).
>
> which are the keybindings for
>
> gnus-summary-reply-broken-reply-to and
> gnus-summary-reply-broken-reply-to-with-original

Thanks very much. I thought it should be possible.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: Ignore reply-to
@ 2010-05-06 23:04       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-05-06 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gijs Hillenius; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs-nspm-@hillenius.net> writes:

>> Not shorter, but cleaner ;)
>
> Very nice! These moves are Gnus-specific, yes?

Yes.  Type C-c C-f C-h to get a full list of useful keybindings:

,----
| C-c C-f C-a	message-generate-unsubscribed-mail-followup-to
| C-c C-f C-b	message-goto-bcc
| C-c C-f C-c	message-goto-cc
| C-c C-f C-d	message-goto-distribution
| C-c C-f C-e	message-insert-expires
| C-c C-f C-f	message-goto-followup-to
| C-c C-f TAB	message-insert-or-toggle-importance
| C-c C-f C-k	message-goto-keywords
| C-c C-f RET	message-goto-mail-followup-to
| C-c C-f C-n	message-goto-newsgroups
| C-c C-f C-o	message-goto-from
| C-c C-f C-r	message-goto-reply-to
| C-c C-f C-s	message-goto-subject
| C-c C-f C-t	message-goto-to
| C-c C-f C-u	message-goto-summary
| C-c C-f C-w	message-goto-fcc
| C-c C-f a	message-add-archive-header
| C-c C-f s	message-change-subject
| C-c C-f t	message-reduce-to-to-cc
| C-c C-f w	message-insert-wide-reply
| C-c C-f x	message-cross-post-followup-to
`----

I use C-c C-f C-s and C-c C-f C-c quite often.

--
Bastien

* Re: Ignore reply-to
@ 2010-05-07  6:40 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2010-05-07  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, May 05 2010, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> In some e-mail clients it is possible to send a reply to the address in
> the From field, even when the Reply-to field is filled. Is this also
> possible in Gnus? Sometimes you want to reply to the original sender and
> not to the mailing list.

See broken-reply-to in the manual:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Group Parameters") ]
| `broken-reply-to'
|      Elements like `(broken-reply-to . t)' signals that `Reply-To'
|      headers in this group are to be ignored, and for the header to be
|      hidden if `reply-to' is part of `gnus-boring-article-headers'.
|      This can be useful if you're reading a mailing list group where
|      the listserv has inserted `Reply-To' headers that point back to
|      the listserv itself.  That is broken behavior.  So there!
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,