* Using GNUS and EMACS23
@ 2010-04-13  1:55 Andreas Marschke
From: Andreas Marschke @ 2010-04-13  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi!

I'm relatively new in using emacs as a USENET-newsreader. I had been
using it now for a while in Emacs23 just reading emails but trying to
send all my messages from my drafts doesnt quite work for some reason.

Other than that in popular distros like Debian GNUs depends on emacs22
but emacs23.1 already exists can you guys tell me if there are efforts
to port it to 23.1 or is this already done and the only problem is that
our twatty packagers where too lazy to pick it up yet?

Other than that cool product nice software. I love emacs and I love
gnus.

Keep it up!

* Re: Using GNUS and EMACS23
@ 2010-04-13  2:57 ` John Hasler
From: John Hasler @ 2010-04-13  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Andreas Marschke writes:
> Other than that in popular distros like Debian GNUs depends on emacs22
> but emacs23.1 already exists can you guys tell me if there are efforts
> to port it to 23.1 or is this already done and the only problem is
> that our twatty packagers where too lazy to pick it up yet?

thumper/~ apt-cache show gnus
Package: gnus
 Note: This package contains beta version from No Gnus series. Users
 of GNU Emacs 23 are better served by Gnus 5.13 included in GNU Emacs
 23 packages.

thumper/~ apt-cache show emacs23
package: emacs23
Provides: editor, emacs23-gtk, emacsen, info-browser, mail-reader, news-reader

I think you owe  Tommi Vainikainen and Rob Browning an apology.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com

* Re: Using GNUS and EMACS23
@ 2010-04-13  7:06   ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2010-04-13  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> writes:

> Andreas Marschke writes:
>> Other than that in popular distros like Debian GNUs depends on emacs22
>> but emacs23.1 already exists can you guys tell me if there are efforts
>> to port it to 23.1 or is this already done and the only problem is
>> that our twatty packagers where too lazy to pick it up yet?
>
> thumper/~ apt-cache show gnus
> Package: gnus
>  Note: This package contains beta version from No Gnus series. Users
>  of GNU Emacs 23 are better served by Gnus 5.13 included in GNU Emacs
>  23 packages.
>

> thumper/~ apt-cache show emacs23
> package: emacs23
> Provides: editor, emacs23-gtk, emacsen, info-browser, mail-reader, news-reader
>
> I think you owe  Tommi Vainikainen and Rob Browning an apology.

Yes indeed.

Andreas the good news is that Gnus *usually* comes bundled with Emacs, no
need to install separately.

If you must use the beta No Gnus series for some reason, you can download
the source and run it from  your /home/elisp directory, but if you are
just beginning with Gnus it might be better to stick with the version you
received with Emacs itself.

atb

Glyn