* 441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)
@ 2008-04-27 18:21 Brian Adkins
From: Brian Adkins @ 2008-04-27 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I am able to post new messages (such as this one) to newsgroups from
Gnus, but when I attempt to post a followup message, I get the following
error (from *Messages*):

--- snip ---
Sending...
Sending news via newsgroups.bellsouth.net using nntp...
441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)
Couldn't send message via news: 441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST
filter)
--- snip ---

I'm using the Bellsouth newsgroup server. I noticed a message from
someone with an identical problem on gnu.emacs.gnus in August, 2006, but
there was no resolution provided.

Is anyone else using Gnus with the Bellsouth newsgroup server? Or has
anyone received the following error when posting followup messages?

Brian Adkins

* Re: 441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)
@ 2008-04-27 20:50 ` Thomas Skogestad
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas Skogestad @ 2008-04-27 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

* Brian Adkins

| Is anyone else using Gnus with the Bellsouth newsgroup server? Or has
| anyone received the following error when posting followup messages?

Have you tried

a) adding more text (than quoted text) to your response
b) changing your "quoted text designator" to something other that ">"?

I have:

(setq message-yank-prefix "| ")
(setq message-yank-empty-prefix "|")

--
Thomas Skogestad

* Re: 441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)
@ 2008-04-28  2:39   ` Brian Adkins
From: Brian Adkins @ 2008-04-28  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thomas Skogestad <thomas_skogestad@operamail.com> writes:

| Have you tried

Ok, I've modified the prefix and will add more text than quoted as a
test.

Brian

* Re: 441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)
@ 2008-04-28  3:07   ` Brian Adkins
From: Brian Adkins @ 2008-04-28  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thomas Skogestad <thomas_skogestad@operamail.com> writes:

> * Brian Adkins
>
> Have you tried

Thanks for the tip. It worked with '|' as the quote char and having more
text than quoted. If this works also, then having '>' as the quote char
is fine and the problem would appear that Bellsouth requires more text
than quoted.

* Re: 441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)
@ 2008-04-28  3:10   ` Brian Adkins
From: Brian Adkins @ 2008-04-28  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thomas Skogestad <thomas_skogestad@operamail.com> writes:

> * Brian Adkins
>
> | Is anyone else using Gnus with the Bellsouth newsgroup server? Or has
> | anyone received the following error when posting followup messages?
>
> Have you tried
>
> a) adding more text (than quoted text) to your response
> b) changing your "quoted text designator" to something other that ">"?
>
> I have:
>
> (setq message-yank-prefix "| ")
> (setq message-yank-empty-prefix "|")
>
> --
> Thomas Skogestad

The tips might be a red herring - I just noticed that I don't see any
"references" headers when following up to your post. If this works, then
"having more text than quoted" isn't the problem :(

* Re: 441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)
@ 2008-04-29 18:56 ` Brian Adkins
From: Brian Adkins @ 2008-04-29 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Brian Adkins <lojicdotcom@gmail.com> writes:

> I am able to post new messages (such as this one) to newsgroups from
> Gnus, but when I attempt to post a followup message, I get the following
> error (from *Messages*):
>
> --- snip ---
> Sending...
> Sending news via newsgroups.bellsouth.net using nntp...
> 441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)
> Couldn't send message via news: 441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST
> filter)
> --- snip ---
>
> I'm using the Bellsouth newsgroup server. I noticed a message from
> someone with an identical problem on gnu.emacs.gnus in August, 2006, but
> there was no resolution provided.
>
> Is anyone else using Gnus with the Bellsouth newsgroup server? Or has
> anyone received the following error when posting followup messages?
>
> Brian Adkins

After some more trial and error, I've discovered that whenever a
followup post gets rejected, there are multiple values for the
"references:" header. I deleted all but one of them but the first on a
followup post and that allowed the post to succeed, but the followup got
associated with the wrong message.

I suppose I can just delete all but the last in the future, but this
definitely seems like a kludge. Has anyone else experienced problems
posting messages with multiple "references" values?