* Fetching Specific Groups
@ 2007-10-08 21:37 Volkan YAZICI
From: Volkan YAZICI @ 2007-10-08 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

Is it possible to make gnus only fetch mails from groups under some
specific topic(s) at startup? When I first open gnus, I don't want it
to keep me waiting while fetching news from RSS groups (and from some
other groups with relatively low priority). Just want to see local
mailboxes at startup.

Regads.

* Re: Fetching Specific Groups
@ 2007-10-09  4:19 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-10-09  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Is it possible to make gnus only fetch mails from groups under some
> specific topic(s) at startup? When I first open gnus, I don't want it
> to keep me waiting while fetching news from RSS groups (and from some
> other groups with relatively low priority). Just want to see local
> mailboxes at startup.

Try setting the group levels:
(info "(gnus)Group Levels") <- type `C-x C-e' here.

I set the levels of the mail groups to 1 and of the nntp groups
to 2, and usually I start Gnus with `C-u 1 M-x gnus' in order to
fetch only new mails.  After starting up Gnus, `1 g' fetches only
new mails and `2 g' fetches new news and mails.  The default group
level is 3.  `M-x gnus-no-server' is similar to `C-u 2 M-x gnus'.

* Re: Fetching Specific Groups
@ 2007-10-09  4:51 ` Carl Johnson
From: Carl Johnson @ 2007-10-09  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Volkan YAZICI <volkan.yazici@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to make gnus only fetch mails from groups under some
> specific topic(s) at startup? When I first open gnus, I don't want it
> to keep me waiting while fetching news from RSS groups (and from some
> other groups with relatively low priority). Just want to see local
> mailboxes at startup.

There are a couple things you can do.  If you just want local mail,
then the gnus-no-server should get that.  You can also set groups to
selected priority levels and use the priority level as an argument
when you call it.  For example 'C-u 3 gnus' will only show level 3
and lower (higher priority) groups.
--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org