* Re: [Gnus-FAQ] Draft 2
       [not found]   ` <4r8iurg9.fsf@hschmi22.userfqdn.rz-online.de>
@ 2003-01-09 19:16     ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2003-01-09 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:

> Henrik Enberg <henrik+news@enberg.org> writes:
>
>> Might be a good idea to tell the user to set proper read permissions
>> (chmod 600 ~/.authinfo) for the file if he's on a multi-user machine.
>> The same might go for ~/.gnus if  there's passwords in it.
>
> Can we tell Emacs to set the right permissions while writing the file?
> Something like M-x write-with-permissions RET 600 RET? If there's a
> function which does this, please yell.

Not that I know of.  I think Emacs uses the umask setting on systems
that support it (*nixes).

* Re: [Gnus-FAQ] Draft 2
       [not found] <65szqjz6.fsf@hschmi22.userfqdn.rz-online.de>
       [not found] ` <87fzs3nprw.fsf@enberg.org>
@ 2003-01-09 20:48 ` GHERdO
From: GHERdO @ 2003-01-09 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 2.8.  OK, reading news works now, but I want to be able to read my mail
>        with Gnus, too. How to do it?

Thank you very much for this FAQ!

I  am  an Emacs  newbie  and  I can't  understand:  if I  set

>       (add-to-list 'mail-sources '(directory :path "/path/to/procmail-dir/"
>                                              :suffix ".prcml"))

I get this error:

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable mail-sources)

> From Emacs Info page, I tried with:

(setq mail-sources
           '((file :path "/var/spool/mail/user-name")
             (directory :path "~/Mail/" :suffix ".suffix")
             (pop :server "localhost" :user "XXX" :port "pop3" :password "XXXXX")))

I also set (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))

And it works. Is this ok?

    thanks-a-lot for your work! :)

--
GHERdO, happy GNU/linux user.

	http://www.cyberspace.org/~gherdo/

@ 2003-01-09  2:08 ` Frank Haun
       [not found] ` <87fzs3nprw.fsf@enberg.org>
From: Frank Haun @ 2003-01-09  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Schmitt <faq@my.gnus.org> writes:

> 1.3.  What to do with the tarball now?
[...]
>       www.winace.com]) and use the batch-file make.bat included in the

I think make.bat is for Emacs and make-x.bat is for XEmacs.

> 2.4.  Gnus seems to start up OK, but I can't find out how to subscribe to
>       a group.
>
>       If you know the name of the group say U name.of.group RET in
>       summary buffer (use the tab-completion Luke). Otherwise hit ^ in
>       summary buffer,

Here we are staying in the group buffer.

Frank.