* gnus-kill-newsgroup error
@ 2020-04-05  8:25 Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2020-04-05  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Due to my computer dying I lost some changes. One of which was to stop
subscribing to new groups. But even though I reapplied this change, I
was unable to launch gnus because of this error. I cannot find any
reference in the lisp to this function gnus-kill-newsgroup but something
is calling it and then failing. I got gnus working in the end by
removing the mozilla server from .gnus.

There was a reference in to this function in .gnu-emacs but I renamed
this file to dotgnu-emacs but still the error occured. Can functions get
copied around?

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function gnus-kill-newsgroup)
  (gnus-kill-newsgroup newsgroup)
  (lambda (newsgroup) (gnus-subscribe-newsgroup newsgroup) (gnus-kill-newsgroup newsgroup))("nntp+news.mozilla.org:mozilla.dev.l10n.ta")
  gnus-call-subscribe-functions((lambda (newsgroup) (gnus-subscribe-newsgroup newsgroup) (gnus-kill-newsgroup newsgroup)) "nntp+news.mozilla.org:\
mozilla.dev.l10n.ta")

[*******deleted stuff here which contained a long list of groups and control characters]

  gnus-1(nil nil nil)
  gnus(nil)
  funcall-interactively(gnus nil)
  call-interactively(gnus record nil)
  command-execute(gnus record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "gnus" "gnus")
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "gnus" "gnus")
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

* Re: gnus-kill-newsgroup error
@ 2020-04-05 15:25 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-04-05 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richmond; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:

> Due to my computer dying I lost some changes. One of which was to stop
> subscribing to new groups. But even though I reapplied this change, I
> was unable to launch gnus because of this error. I cannot find any
> reference in the lisp to this function gnus-kill-newsgroup but something
> is calling it and then failing. I got gnus working in the end by
> removing the mozilla server from .gnus.
>
> There was a reference in to this function in .gnu-emacs but I renamed
> this file to dotgnu-emacs but still the error occured. Can functions get
> copied around?

`gnus-kill-newsgroup' was removed from Gnus (or at least this Gnus
change was merged into Emacs master) in 2012, so it's been a while.

What version of Emacs are you using? You're not still loading an
external Gnus installation, are you?

You talk about changes, and "reapplying changes", what does that mean?

What seems most likely is that you've got some custom functions in
your.gnus.el or elsewhere that are still calling `gnus-kill-newsgroup'.

Eric

* Re: gnus-kill-newsgroup error
@ 2020-04-05 17:53   ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2020-04-05 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:
>
>> Due to my computer dying I lost some changes. One of which was to stop
>> subscribing to new groups. But even though I reapplied this change, I
>> was unable to launch gnus because of this error. I cannot find any
>> reference in the lisp to this function gnus-kill-newsgroup but something
>> is calling it and then failing. I got gnus working in the end by
>> removing the mozilla server from .gnus.
>>
>> There was a reference in to this function in .gnu-emacs but I renamed
>> this file to dotgnu-emacs but still the error occured. Can functions get
>> copied around?
>
> `gnus-kill-newsgroup' was removed from Gnus (or at least this Gnus
> change was merged into Emacs master) in 2012, so it's been a while.

Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/25.3 (gnu/linux)

> What version of Emacs are you using? You're not still loading an
> external Gnus installation, are you?

No. I had to re-install linux etc. So starting from scratch.

> You talk about changes, and "reapplying changes", what does that mean?

Some time ago, maybe a couple of months, I asked in this group why gnus
was subscribing to groups and as a result of that I made changes to
.gnus and got rid of .gnu-emacs-custom

> What seems most likely is that you've got some custom functions in
> your.gnus.el or elsewhere that are still calling `gnus-kill-newsgroup'.

The problem is I cannot find any reference to it.

I do this:

find . -type f -print|xargs grep -i gnus-kill-newsgroup

All it finds is this:

./dotgnu-emacs:	   (gnus-kill-newsgroup newsgroup)))

find /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ -type f -print|xargs grep -i gnus-kill-newsgroup
find /usr/share/emacs/25.3 -type f -print|xargs grep -i gnus-kill-newsgroup

These find nothing.

If I look for gnus-kill it finds matches in the elc, so this
demonstrates that the command works, i.e. although it will not find
anything in the gzipped source, it will find in the elc.

* Re: gnus-kill-newsgroup error
@ 2020-04-06 15:53     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-04-06 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richmond; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:

>> Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:
>>
>>> Due to my computer dying I lost some changes. One of which was to stop
>>> subscribing to new groups. But even though I reapplied this change, I
>>> was unable to launch gnus because of this error. I cannot find any
>>> reference in the lisp to this function gnus-kill-newsgroup but something
>>> is calling it and then failing. I got gnus working in the end by
>>> removing the mozilla server from .gnus.
>>>
>>> There was a reference in to this function in .gnu-emacs but I renamed
>>> this file to dotgnu-emacs but still the error occured. Can functions get
>>> copied around?
>>
>> `gnus-kill-newsgroup' was removed from Gnus (or at least this Gnus
>> change was merged into Emacs master) in 2012, so it's been a while.
>
> Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/25.3 (gnu/linux)

That's a pretty old Emacs -- is there a chance you could upgrade to 26?
27 is almost out.

>> What version of Emacs are you using? You're not still loading an
>> external Gnus installation, are you?
>>

> No. I had to re-install linux etc. So starting from scratch.
>
>> You talk about changes, and "reapplying changes", what does that mean?
>
> Some time ago, maybe a couple of months, I asked in this group why gnus
> was subscribing to groups and as a result of that I made changes to
> .gnus and got rid of .gnu-emacs-custom
>>
>> What seems most likely is that you've got some custom functions in
>> your.gnus.el or elsewhere that are still calling `gnus-kill-newsgroup'.
>>

> The problem is I cannot find any reference to it.
>
> I do this:
>
> find . -type f -print|xargs grep -i gnus-kill-newsgroup
>
> All it finds is this:
>
> ./dotgnu-emacs:	   (gnus-kill-newsgroup newsgroup)))

So presumably this file is getting loaded somehow? I don't see that
that's a standard filename of any sort. If you look at that file, what
is that code a part of?

* Re: gnus-kill-newsgroup error
@ 2020-04-06 16:04       ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2020-04-06 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

>>> `gnus-kill-newsgroup' was removed from Gnus (or at least this Gnus
>>> change was merged into Emacs master) in 2012, so it's been a while.
>> Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/25.3 (gnu/linux)
> That's a pretty old Emacs -- is there a chance you could upgrade to 26?
> 27 is almost out.
Probably but I am not sure I want to just yet. On the last system which
is now dead I did upgrade but it caused various other problems.

>>> What version of Emacs are you using? You're not still loading an
>>> external Gnus installation, are you?
>>>
>> No. I had to re-install linux etc. So starting from scratch.
>>
>>> You talk about changes, and "reapplying changes", what does that mean?
>> Some time ago, maybe a couple of months, I asked in this group why gnus
>> was subscribing to groups and as a result of that I made changes to
>> .gnus and got rid of .gnu-emacs-custom
>>> What seems most likely is that you've got some custom functions in
>>> your.gnus.el or elsewhere that are still calling `gnus-kill-newsgroup'.
>>>
>> The problem is I cannot find any reference to it.
>>
>> I do this:
>>
>> find . -type f -print|xargs grep -i gnus-kill-newsgroup
>>
>> All it finds is this:
>>
>> ./dotgnu-emacs:	   (gnus-kill-newsgroup newsgroup)))
> So presumably this file is getting loaded somehow? I don't see that
> that's a standard filename of any sort. If you look at that file, what
> is that code a part of?
I don't think it is getting loaded, although it might be. But it was the
file which was called .gnu-emacs which I renamed to dotgnu-emacs so that
it wouldn't get used. (dot = . )

* Re: gnus-kill-newsgroup error
@ 2020-04-06 16:19         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-04-06 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richmond; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:

>>> Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/25.3 (gnu/linux)
>> That's a pretty old Emacs -- is there a chance you could upgrade to 26?
>> 27 is almost out.
> Probably but I am not sure I want to just yet. On the last system which
> is now dead I did upgrade but it caused various other problems.

>>> No. I had to re-install linux etc. So starting from scratch.

>>> Some time ago, maybe a couple of months, I asked in this group why gnus
>>> was subscribing to groups and as a result of that I made changes to
>>> .gnus and got rid of .gnu-emacs-custom
>>>>
>>> The problem is I cannot find any reference to it.
>>>
>>> I do this:
>>>
>>> find . -type f -print|xargs grep -i gnus-kill-newsgroup
>>>
>>> All it finds is this:
>>>
>>> ./dotgnu-emacs:	   (gnus-kill-newsgroup newsgroup)))
>> So presumably this file is getting loaded somehow? I don't see that
>> that's a standard filename of any sort. If you look at that file, what
>> is that code a part of?
> I don't think it is getting loaded, although it might be. But it was the
> file which was called .gnu-emacs which I renamed to dotgnu-emacs so that
> it wouldn't get used. (dot = . )

If it's not getting loaded, I can't think of what else could be causing
the problem. Unless you've got some old *elc files lying around from a
the relevant locations, I'd say this file is still your culprit.

* Re: gnus-kill-newsgroup error
@ 2020-04-06 16:55           ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2020-04-06 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

>>> That's a pretty old Emacs -- is there a chance you could upgrade to 26?
>>> 27 is almost out.
>> Probably but I am not sure I want to just yet. On the last system which
>> is now dead I did upgrade but it caused various other problems.

>>> So presumably this file is getting loaded somehow? I don't see that
>>> that's a standard filename of any sort. If you look at that file, what
>>> is that code a part of?
>> I don't think it is getting loaded, although it might be. But it was the
>> file which was called .gnu-emacs which I renamed to dotgnu-emacs so that
>> it wouldn't get used. (dot = . )
> If it's not getting loaded, I can't think of what else could be causing
> the problem. Unless you've got some old *elc files lying around from a
> the relevant locations, I'd say this file is still your culprit.
I have changed the permissions on the file to zero so that it could not
be loaded, but I didn't get any error.

I am not able to prove much now, one way or another, because I removed
and re-added the mozilla newsgroup.

I have an idea which is pure speculation that gnus had somehow recorded
its intention to kill some newsgroups because that's what I had been
doing - killing new groups which I had been subscribed to, using ctrl-k,
and so gnus was trying to finish this task on startup. But I can't see
how this would have been recorded anywhere without recording the name
"gnus-kill-newsgroup", unless it was encoded.

* Re: gnus-kill-newsgroup error
@ 2020-04-06 17:08             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-04-06 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richmond; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:

>>> Probably but I am not sure I want to just yet. On the last system which
>>> is now dead I did upgrade but it caused various other problems.

>>> I don't think it is getting loaded, although it might be. But it was the
>>> file which was called .gnu-emacs which I renamed to dotgnu-emacs so that
>>> it wouldn't get used. (dot = . )
>> If it's not getting loaded, I can't think of what else could be causing
>> the problem. Unless you've got some old *elc files lying around from a
>> the relevant locations, I'd say this file is still your culprit.
> I have changed the permissions on the file to zero so that it could not
> be loaded, but I didn't get any error.
>
> I am not able to prove much now, one way or another, because I removed
> and re-added the mozilla newsgroup.
>
> I have an idea which is pure speculation that gnus had somehow recorded
> its intention to kill some newsgroups because that's what I had been
> doing - killing new groups which I had been subscribed to, using ctrl-k,
> and so gnus was trying to finish this task on startup. But I can't see
> how this would have been recorded anywhere without recording the name
> "gnus-kill-newsgroup", unless it was encoded.

A completely nuts possibility is that you had a .gnus-dribble file from
an older Emacs, which had recorded a lambda containing a call to
`gnus-kill-newsgroup' as part of Gnus's undo mechanism as you were
killing. I'm just totally making things up at this point. But it sounds
like the problem is gone?

* Re: gnus-kill-newsgroup error
@ 2020-04-06 17:16               ` Richmond
From: Richmond @ 2020-04-06 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

>>> If it's not getting loaded, I can't think of what else could be causing
>>> the problem. Unless you've got some old *elc files lying around from a
>>> the relevant locations, I'd say this file is still your culprit.
>> I have changed the permissions on the file to zero so that it could not
>> be loaded, but I didn't get any error.
>>
>> I am not able to prove much now, one way or another, because I removed
>> and re-added the mozilla newsgroup.
>>
>> I have an idea which is pure speculation that gnus had somehow recorded
>> its intention to kill some newsgroups because that's what I had been
>> doing - killing new groups which I had been subscribed to, using ctrl-k,
>> and so gnus was trying to finish this task on startup. But I can't see
>> how this would have been recorded anywhere without recording the name
>> "gnus-kill-newsgroup", unless it was encoded.
> A completely nuts possibility is that you had a .gnus-dribble file from
> an older Emacs, which had recorded a lambda containing a call to
> `gnus-kill-newsgroup' as part of Gnus's undo mechanism as you were
> killing. I'm just totally making things up at this point. But it sounds
> like the problem is gone?
It has gone for the time being, hopefully it will not return as I have
removed the instruction to subscribe automatically to new groups.

You theory is not nuts, but wouldn't I have found the lambda with my
find command? or maybe it would be a pointer only to something which
does not now exist?

* Re: gnus-kill-newsgroup error
@ 2020-04-06 17:33                 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-04-06 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richmond; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:

>>> I have changed the permissions on the file to zero so that it could not
>>> be loaded, but I didn't get any error.
>>>
>>> I am not able to prove much now, one way or another, because I removed
>>> and re-added the mozilla newsgroup.
>>>
>>> I have an idea which is pure speculation that gnus had somehow recorded
>>> its intention to kill some newsgroups because that's what I had been
>>> doing - killing new groups which I had been subscribed to, using ctrl-k,
>>> and so gnus was trying to finish this task on startup. But I can't see
>>> how this would have been recorded anywhere without recording the name
>>> "gnus-kill-newsgroup", unless it was encoded.
>> A completely nuts possibility is that you had a .gnus-dribble file from
>> an older Emacs, which had recorded a lambda containing a call to
>> `gnus-kill-newsgroup' as part of Gnus's undo mechanism as you were
>> killing. I'm just totally making things up at this point. But it sounds
>> like the problem is gone?
> It has gone for the time being, hopefully it will not return as I have
> removed the instruction to subscribe automatically to new groups.
>
> You theory is not nuts, but wouldn't I have found the lambda with my
> find command? or maybe it would be a pointer only to something which
> does not now exist?

Yeah, I guess the find command would have found it -- the only way this
error could have arisen is if an older Emacs wrote the dribble file, and
a newer Emacs read it, meaning the file would have had to have been
saved to disk. Unless you were running the find command in different
directory tree...