* flyspell in messages
@ 2015-02-18 14:26 Haines Brown
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Haines Brown @ 2015-02-18 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I'm using gnus to read newsgroups, and I would like to have flyspell run
automatically whenever I write a message in reply to a posting. At
present, the mode bar says: (Message MML Abbrev Fill Narrow). Does this
mean I'm in the Message group?

I try this in the init file for gnus:

  (dolist (hook '(Message-mode-hook))
      (add-hook hook (lambda () (flyspell-mode 1))))

Not only does this not open flyspell automatically, but when I try to
open flyspell manually (M-x flyspell-mode) I get an error that
/usr/lib/aspell/american-huge cannot be opened". Although I have
iamerican-huge and wamerican-huge installed, there is no such
american-huge file.

I would like to be in flyspell minor mode whenever I reply to a
newsgroup without having to remember to start it manually.

* Re: flyspell in messages
@ 2015-02-18 15:21 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.327.1424272929.31049.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-02-18 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Haines Brown <haines@engels.histomat.net> writes:

Hi Haines,

> I'm using gnus to read newsgroups, and I would like to have flyspell
> run automatically whenever I write a message in reply to a posting. At
> present, the mode bar says: (Message MML Abbrev Fill Narrow). Does
> this mean I'm in the Message group?

This means `message-mode' is the active `major-mode' and MML, Abbrev,
Fill and Narrow are enabled minor modes.  (The so-called lighters in the
mode-line don't need to correspond exactly to the mode name.)

> I try this in the init file for gnus:
>
>   (dolist (hook '(Message-mode-hook))
>       (add-hook hook (lambda () (flyspell-mode 1))))

The problem is that the hook is actually named `message-mode-hook' so

  (dolist (hook '(message-mode-hook ...))
    (add-hook hook #'flyspell-mode))

will do the trick.

> Not only does this not open flyspell automatically, but when I try to
> open flyspell manually (M-x flyspell-mode) I get an error that
> /usr/lib/aspell/american-huge cannot be opened". Although I have
> iamerican-huge and wamerican-huge installed, there is no such
> american-huge file.

Hm, that seems to be an aspell configuration problem.  Or do you have
any configurations to flyspell-* or ispell-* variables in Emacs?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: flyspell in messages
       [not found] ` <mailman.327.1424272929.31049.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2015-02-18 16:32   ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2015-02-18 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Haines Brown <haines@engels.histomat.net> writes:

>> I'm using gnus to read newsgroups, and I would like to have flyspell
>> run automatically whenever I write a message in reply to a posting. At
>> present, the mode bar says: (Message MML Abbrev Fill Narrow). Does
>> this mean I'm in the Message group?
>
> This means `message-mode' is the active `major-mode' and MML, Abbrev,
> Fill and Narrow are enabled minor modes.  (The so-called lighters in the
> mode-line don't need to correspond exactly to the mode name.)

> The problem is that the hook is actually named `message-mode-hook' so
>
>   (dolist (hook '(message-mode-hook ...))
>     (add-hook hook #'flyspell-mode))
>
> will do the trick.

Yes, it did, and I thank you. Not am I now in flymode without having
started it manually, but the problem of not finding american-huge file
also disappeared.

* Re: flyspell in messages
       [not found] ` <mailman.327.1424272929.31049.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2015-02-19  0:18 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-02-19  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Haines Brown <haines@engels.histomat.net> writes:

> I try this in the init file for gnus:
>
>   (dolist (hook '(Message-mode-hook)) (add-hook hook
> (lambda () (flyspell-mode 1))))

For anyone who doesn't want to use `flyspell-mode' but
still would like to spell messages, this can be done
with `ispell-message'.

Abort spelling with C-g - it'll echo something strange
(I reported that bug), but all it does is stop the
spelling, which is what you want.

The documentation is also obsolete with mention of
GNUS 5 and GNUS 4.

Other than that, it works well.

--
underground experts united

* Re: flyspell in messages
@ 2015-02-19  7:05     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-02-19  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Haines Brown <haines@engels.histomat.net> writes:

>> The problem is that the hook is actually named `message-mode-hook' so
>>
>>   (dolist (hook '(message-mode-hook ...))
>>     (add-hook hook #'flyspell-mode))
>>
>> will do the trick.
>
> Yes, it did, and I thank you.

You're welcome.

> Not am I now in flymode without having started it manually, but the
> problem of not finding american-huge file also disappeared.

Oh, good.  But that must have been a side-effect of something else,
e.g., some aspell package has been upgraded, or maybe you're restarted
the system...

Bye,
Tassilo