* nnir, nnmairix, and search for local leafnode
@ 2012-12-18 14:47 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2012-12-18 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I'm running a local leafnode server for NNTP, and I'd like to be able to
search the messages with nnir.  I'm not at all sure how to best set this
up, so if anyone has a hint that would be most appreciated.

Also, I wonder why nnmairix doesn't integrate with nnir.  Is it merely a
matter of nobody having implemented the integration, or is there a more
fundamental reason that mairix can't be an nnir backend?

Thanks!

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing                  Software Development        Training

* Re: nnir, nnmairix, and search for local leafnode
@ 2012-12-20 10:36 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2012-12-20 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Dave Abrahams writes:
> Also, I wonder why nnmairix doesn't integrate with nnir.  Is it merely a
> matter of nobody having implemented the integration, or is there a more
> fundamental reason that mairix can't be an nnir backend?

When I wrote nnmairix, nnir was in a pretty bad state. Also, I wanted
nnmairix to do much more than what nnir does. My goal was to be able to
read my mail solely in nnmairix groups, which requires some fiddling
with article numbers so that they stay unique, and propagation of marks
from nnmairix groups to their original location. Unfortunately, the
needed patches for mairix were ignored by its maintainer, so that's
still not working as it should.

-David