* Do not let horizontal split be removed
@ 2010-03-17 23:11 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-03-17 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Because I have quite a wide screen I have split my frame in two windows
with 'C-X 3'. In the left window I have the group buffer and the right
window something else. When I open a folder in the group buffer the
right window disappears and there is only one window left with the
opened folder. Is there a way to circumvent it? So the folder is opened
in the left window and the right window stays and does not change?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: Do not let horizontal split be removed
@ 2010-03-18  1:44 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-03-18  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Because I have quite a wide screen I have split my frame in two windows
> with 'C-X 3'. In the left window I have the group buffer and the right
> window something else. When I open a folder in the group buffer the
> right window disappears and there is only one window left with the
> opened folder. Is there a way to circumvent it? So the folder is opened
> in the left window and the right window stays and does not change?

Try: (setq gnus-use-full-window nil)
See also: (info "(gnus)Window Layout") <- Type `C-x C-e' here.

* Re: Do not let horizontal split be removed
@ 2010-03-18  7:21   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-03-18  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> Because I have quite a wide screen I have split my frame in two windows
>> with 'C-X 3'. In the left window I have the group buffer and the right
>> window something else. When I open a folder in the group buffer the
>> right window disappears and there is only one window left with the
>> opened folder. Is there a way to circumvent it? So the folder is opened
>> in the left window and the right window stays and does not change?
>
> Try: (setq gnus-use-full-window nil)
> See also: (info "(gnus)Window Layout") <- Type `C-x C-e' here.

Works partly. When opening the mail folder the right window stay, but
when given F to follow up on the e-mail, the right window gets eaten
again. %<[

I will look into the info you pointed me to.

Thanks for the reply.

--

@ 2010-03-18  7:24     ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-03-18  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

>>> Because I have quite a wide screen I have split my frame in two windows
>>> with 'C-X 3'. In the left window I have the group buffer and the right
>>> window something else. When I open a folder in the group buffer the
>>> right window disappears and there is only one window left with the
>>> opened folder. Is there a way to circumvent it? So the folder is opened
>>> in the left window and the right window stays and does not change?
>>
>> Try: (setq gnus-use-full-window nil)
>> See also: (info "(gnus)Window Layout") <- Type `C-x C-e' here.
>
> Works partly. When opening the mail folder the right window stay, but
> when given F to follow up on the e-mail, the right window gets eaten
> again. %<[
>
> I will look into the info you pointed me to.

It is less urgent as I thought. After sending the message the windows
are restored. I still would like to retain the right window when writing
the message, but it is not as bad as I thought.

--

@ 2010-03-18  9:35       ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-03-18  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>>> Try: (setq gnus-use-full-window nil)
>>> See also: (info "(gnus)Window Layout") <- Type `C-x C-e' here.
>>
>> Works partly. When opening the mail folder the right window stay, but
>> when given F to follow up on the e-mail, the right window gets eaten
>> again. %<[
>>
>> I will look into the info you pointed me to.
>
> It is less urgent as I thought. After sending the message the windows
> are restored. I still would like to retain the right window when writing
> the message, but it is not as bad as I thought.

It is a bit strange. In mail folders the windows are not touched, but in
newsgroups they are destroyed. It looks like software from Redmond. ;-}

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer