* Re: OT: Sorting by references using Sieve
       [not found] <mailman.3551.1237449144.31690.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-20 19:10 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-03-20 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 08:52:01 +0100 Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:

TH> What I want is this: If I get a reply by John Doe, it should be filed
TH> into the folder that contains the request I've sent, e.g. the folder
TH> which contains the message with the Message-id found in John's
TH> References header.

TH> Is this doable with Sieve?  I had a quick look at the RFC, but couldn't
TH> find something like that.

I don't think Sieve can do this on its own.  Can it do a #include?

TH> I know that I could use the gnus registry for that, but I'd prefer to
TH> keep the filtering on the server side.  Anyway, it Sieve doesn't work
TH> here, a short sample for a gnus registry/fancy splitting routine would
TH> be appreciated, too.  One key point is that it mustn't interfer with the
TH> server side filtering.  E.g. it should only look at articles which are
TH> delivered to my INBOX, everything else was filtered by the server setup.

Well, the registry could write a Sieve rules file based on its contents.
I don't think it would be easy to integrate them further.

Another way is to have the registry save its contents to Amazon SimpleDB
or a CouchDB instance, and then the server can generate filters based on
that data.  This way you could actually have both the registry and a
server-side process remembering article references.  Hmm, that sounds
like an interesting project :)

As far as a simple gnus-registry setup, it's pretty easy to do:

(setq gnus-registry-max-entries 2500
      gnus-registry-use-long-group-names t)

(gnus-registry-initialize)

Then use this in your fancy-split:

(: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent)

The fancy-split rules are run against a mailbox, so you need to set it
up to run against INBOX.  That's all.

Ted

* Re: OT: Sorting by references using Sieve
@ 2009-03-22 19:29   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-03-22 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

Hi Ted,

> TH> What I want is this: If I get a reply by John Doe, it should be
> TH> filed into the folder that contains the request I've sent,
> TH> e.g. the folder which contains the message with the Message-id
> TH> found in John's References header.
>
> TH> Is this doable with Sieve?  I had a quick look at the RFC, but
> TH> couldn't find something like that.
>
> I don't think Sieve can do this on its own.  Can it do a #include?

No, at least not that I know.

> As far as a simple gnus-registry setup, it's pretty easy to do:
>
> (setq gnus-registry-max-entries 2500
>       gnus-registry-use-long-group-names t)
>
> (gnus-registry-initialize)
>
> Then use this in your fancy-split:
>
> (: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent)
>
> The fancy-split rules are run against a mailbox, so you need to set it
> up to run against INBOX.  That's all.

Great, thanks a lot.

Bye,
Tassilo

* OT: Sorting by references using Sieve
@ 2009-03-19  7:52 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-03-19  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi Gnus users,

I use Gnus for reading newsgroups and mail using the nnimap backend.  I
do mail filtering on the server side using Sieve scripts.  This works
very nice for filtering out SPAM and moving mailing list messages to
special folders.

But there are some cases where manual filtering is required.  For
example I work on two projects A and B, both having a dedicated folder.
In both projects I communicate with John Doe, so I cannot filter by
address.  For each folder I use gcc-self (see Gnus group parameters) to
keep my own messages in the folder, too, so that I get a newsgroup style

What I want is this: If I get a reply by John Doe, it should be filed
into the folder that contains the request I've sent, e.g. the folder
which contains the message with the Message-id found in John's
References header.

Is this doable with Sieve?  I had a quick look at the RFC, but couldn't
find something like that.

I know that I could use the gnus registry for that, but I'd prefer to
keep the filtering on the server side.  Anyway, it Sieve doesn't work
here, a short sample for a gnus registry/fancy splitting routine would
be appreciated, too.  One key point is that it mustn't interfer with the
server side filtering.  E.g. it should only look at articles which are
delivered to my INBOX, everything else was filtered by the server setup.

Thanks for any pointers,
Tassilo
--
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.