* gnus mail lists
@ 2006-07-12 12:43 Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-07-12 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could some kind soul please point me in the right direction for
creating, maintaining and emailing a mail list in gnus e.g 28 people
belonging to a mail list called "relatives" and I can send a single
email to "relatives" and an email will go to all members of
"relatives". I currently use BBDB. Any pointers/Advice appreciated.

* Re: gnus mail lists
@ 2006-07-12 13:26 ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2006-07-12 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> Could some kind soul please point me in the right direction for
> creating, maintaining and emailing a mail list in gnus e.g 28 people
> belonging to a mail list called "relatives" and I can send a single
> email to "relatives" and an email will go to all members of
> "relatives". I currently use BBDB. Any pointers/Advice appreciated.

See the "Mail Sending Interfaces" node in the BBDB manual.

* Re: gnus mail lists
@ 2006-07-12 14:01   ` Hadron Quark
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-07-12 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> writes:

> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Could some kind soul please point me in the right direction for
>> creating, maintaining and emailing a mail list in gnus e.g 28 people
>> belonging to a mail list called "relatives" and I can send a single
>> email to "relatives" and an email will go to all members of
>> "relatives". I currently use BBDB. Any pointers/Advice appreciated.
>
> See the "Mail Sending Interfaces" node in the BBDB manual.

A quick google indicates that mail-abbrev.el is non existant and that
mailabbrev.el is included. I loaded this and enabled alias expansion. I
added (a in bbdb buffer) a mail-alias of "test" to two existing BBDB
entries.

But when I expand the alias in the "too" field, it does not substitute
"test" with the emails of those BBDB entries that have a mail-alias
field containg "test".

Have I misunderstood something?

* Re: gnus mail lists
@ 2006-07-13 15:23     ` Lowell Gilbert
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4061.1152810521.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2006-07-13 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> writes:
>
>> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Could some kind soul please point me in the right direction for
>>> creating, maintaining and emailing a mail list in gnus e.g 28 people
>>> belonging to a mail list called "relatives" and I can send a single
>>> email to "relatives" and an email will go to all members of
>>> "relatives". I currently use BBDB. Any pointers/Advice appreciated.
>>
>> See the "Mail Sending Interfaces" node in the BBDB manual.
>
> A quick google indicates that mail-abbrev.el is non existant and that
> mailabbrev.el is included. I loaded this and enabled alias expansion. I
> added (a in bbdb buffer) a mail-alias of "test" to two existing BBDB
> entries.
>
> But when I expand the alias in the "too" field, it does not substitute
> "test" with the emails of those BBDB entries that have a mail-alias
> field containg "test".
>
> Have I misunderstood something?

Good question; I can't get it to work either, now that I actually
tried it.  I would like to trace the hook handling to track it down,
but I don't have the time at the moment.

* Re: gnus mail lists
@ 2006-07-13 16:17     ` Andrea Russo
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4061.1152810521.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Andrea Russo @ 2006-07-13 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> But when I expand the alias in the "too" field, it does not substitute
> "test" with the emails of those BBDB entries that have a mail-alias
> field containg "test".

I tried with GNU Emacs 22.0.50.7, Gnus v5.11 and BBDB version 2.35
($Date: 2006/05/25 23:19:53 $)

It works like a charm.  I simply added the mail-alias field in some
bbdb records and added this code to my .gnus:

(add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'bbdb-define-all-aliases)

Thanks,
Andrea.

		-- Albert Einstein

* Re: gnus mail lists
@ 2006-07-13 16:33       ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-07-13 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> writes:

> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> writes:

>>> See the "Mail Sending Interfaces" node in the BBDB manual.
>>
>> A quick google indicates that mail-abbrev.el is non existant and that
>> mailabbrev.el is included. I loaded this and enabled alias expansion. I
>> added (a in bbdb buffer) a mail-alias of "test" to two existing BBDB
>> entries.
>>
>> But when I expand the alias in the "too" field, it does not substitute
>> "test" with the emails of those BBDB entries that have a mail-alias
>> field containg "test".
>>
>> Have I misunderstood something?
>
> Good question; I can't get it to work either, now that I actually
> tried it.  I would like to trace the hook handling to track it down,
> but I don't have the time at the moment.

Any advice you can give at a later date would be much appreciated. I
would hate to have to leave gnus now after the learning curve and setup
issues I had :(

* Re: gnus mail lists
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4061.1152810521.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-07-13 18:06       ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-07-13 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrea Russo <rastandy@salug.it> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> But when I expand the alias in the "too" field, it does not substitute
>> "test" with the emails of those BBDB entries that have a mail-alias
>> field containg "test".
>
> I tried with GNU Emacs 22.0.50.7, Gnus v5.11 and BBDB version 2.35
> ($Date: 2006/05/25 23:19:53 $)
>
> It works like a charm.  I simply added the mail-alias field in some
> bbdb records and added this code to my .gnus:
>
> (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'bbdb-define-all-aliases)
>
> Thanks,
> Andrea.

how did you expand it? usual tab key?

* Re: gnus mail lists
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4061.1152810521.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-07-13 18:10       ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-07-13 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrea Russo <rastandy@salug.it> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> But when I expand the alias in the "too" field, it does not substitute
>> "test" with the emails of those BBDB entries that have a mail-alias
>> field containg "test".
>
> I tried with GNU Emacs 22.0.50.7, Gnus v5.11 and BBDB version 2.35
> ($Date: 2006/05/25 23:19:53 $)
>
> It works like a charm.  I simply added the mail-alias field in some
> bbdb records and added this code to my .gnus:
>
> (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'bbdb-define-all-aliases)
>
> Thanks,
> Andrea.

Thanks Andrea.

The problem was that I picked an alias that was part of existing email
names and  email addresses : silly of me. i changed the mail alias to
"XX" and it worked fine.

Many thanks for taking the time to check it out.