* display of accented characters
@ 2005-11-16 21:24 Hugh Lawson
From: Hugh Lawson @ 2005-11-16 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emacs 21, talking about Latin characters

Problem: in X, using a Multi-key (compose key) the accented characters
are displayed in a different smaller font. But, with the same emacs,
using iso-accents-mode, the accented characters are displayed as
expected.

This means that this emacs install can display the accented characters
properly.

How can I make them display properly without using the
iso-accents-mode?

Or, where in the documentation is this issue discussed?  I've done a
good bit of web searching and doc browsing.

--
Hugh Lawson
hlawson@triad.rr.com

* Re: display of accented characters
@ 2005-11-17  8:58 ` Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2005-11-17  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 22:11 on nov 16 2005, Hugh Lawson said :

> Emacs 21, talking about Latin characters
>
> Problem: in X, using a Multi-key (compose key) the accented characters
> are displayed in a different smaller font. But, with the same emacs,
> using iso-accents-mode, the accented characters are displayed as
> expected.
>
> This means that this emacs install can display the accented characters
> properly.

It means also that the accentuated chars that are inserted via the
compose key and those generated by iso-accents-mode are not the same.

I guess that one set must be iso-8859-1 and the other is iso-8859-15
(the one that includes euro).

To check that you can go to the different accentuated chars and type
C-u C-x =
I will show you the properties of the character and the font used to
display it.

> How can I make them display properly without using the
> iso-accents-mode?
>
> Or, where in the documentation is this issue discussed?  I've done a
> good bit of web searching and doc browsing.

Maybe that you could take a look to the fontsets chapter of the manual
(info "(Emacs)Fontsets") and (info "(Emacs)Defining fontsets") to know
how Emacs can use differents font sets to display the characters
regarding of their encoding.

Then M-x describe-fontset RET RET to see the current fontset settings.
You will be able to see the character set to correct in the fontset.

Note : this is a solution that could be considered somehow as a canon-to
kill a fly and maybe that simply unify-8859-on-encoding-mode could help
you without hacking the fontset.

I hope that another experienced user will confirm/infirm what i said.

HTH.
--
Sébastien Kirche

* Re: display of accented characters
@ 2005-11-17 15:19   ` Hugh Lawson
From: Hugh Lawson @ 2005-11-17 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sébastien Kirche <sebastien.kirche.no@spam.free.fr.invalid> writes:

> Note : this is a solution that could be considered somehow as a canon-to
> kill a fly and maybe that simply unify-8859-on-encoding-mode could help
> you without hacking the fontset.

Thanks to Sébastien for the tips.

Results of experimentation on this Emacs install.

1. Best
   $ locale: en_US.ISO-8859-15
   M-x unify-8859-on-decoding-mode

This displays normal-sized accented Latin characters and a
normal-sized euro character when these are entered using the Multi_key
(X Window) method.  This was the result I wanted.

2. OK
   $locale en_US.UTF-8

with Multi-key I see normal-sized accented characters, but there is no
euro character displayed

3. Poor
   $locale: en_US.ISO-8859-15
   unify-8859-on-decoding mode is TURNED OFF

This displays tiny accented characters and tiny euro character when
these are entered by the Multi-key method.

* Re: display of accented characters
@ 2005-11-22 19:34     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-11-22 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 3. Poor
>    $locale: en_US.ISO-8859-15
>    unify-8859-on-decoding mode is TURNED OFF

> This displays tiny accented characters and tiny euro character when
> these are entered by the Multi-key method.

It looks like you don't have a full collection of Latin-9 fonts, so the
closest font Emacs can find for Latin-9 chars is slightly smaller
than wanted.

        Stefan