* Leafnode
@ 2005-05-16 20:06 Flatman
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Flatman @ 2005-05-16 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

As I'm using 5 news servers and don't like the way agent handles them for offline reading/posting (plugged/unplugged) I figured out I could install my own local server .

I thought about installing Leafnode.
Anybody uses this with gnus ?
Are you happy with it ? What are the missing features, if any ? How do you feal about the auto handling of groups and expiration ?

Thanks
Erik

* Re: Leafnode
@ 2005-05-16 21:00 ` Glyn Millington
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Glyn Millington @ 2005-05-16 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Flatman <flatman@swing.be> writes:

> Hi
>
> As I'm using 5 news servers and don't like the way agent handles them
> for offline reading/posting (plugged/unplugged) I figured out I could
> install my own local server .
>
> I thought about installing Leafnode. Anybody uses this with gnus ?
> Are you happy with it ? What are the missing features, if any ? How do
> you feal about the auto handling of groups and expiration ?

Yup, I use it here, and it works nicely with Gnus.
I've never noticed any missing features; it handles groups and expiry
nicely. No problems

atb

Glyn

* Re: Leafnode
@ 2005-05-16 22:42   ` Flatman
From: Flatman @ 2005-05-16 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glyn Millington <wistanswick@linuxmail.org> writes:

> Yup, I use it here, and it works nicely with Gnus.
> I've never noticed any missing features; it handles groups and expiry
> nicely. No problems

thank you ...
I'll install Leafnode tomorrow, or maybe later this night

thanks for info

Erik

* Re: Leafnode
@ 2005-05-17  0:45 ` johnsu01
From: johnsu01 @ 2005-05-17  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Flatman <flatman@swing.be> writes:

> Hi
>
> As I'm using 5 news servers and don't like the way agent handles them for
> offline reading/posting (plugged/unplugged) I figured out I could install my
> own local server .
>
> I thought about installing Leafnode.  Anybody uses this with gnus ?  Are you
> happy with it ? What are the missing features, if any ? How do you feal about
> the auto handling of groups and expiration ?
>
> Thanks Erik

I use it here happily.

My only complaint is that it doesn't have any kind of authentication system. I
run it on my home server, and frequently want to connect to it remotely from my
laptop. Have to use an ssh tunnel to do that, unless I wanted to have a public
open server.

Leafnode isn't really intended for this use, so my complaint shouldn't be taken
very seriously.

--
-johnsu01
-http://www.wjsullivan.net

* Re: Leafnode
@ 2005-05-17 15:54 ` Paolo Amoroso
From: Paolo Amoroso @ 2005-05-17 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Flatman <flatman@swing.be> writes:

> I thought about installing Leafnode.
> Anybody uses this with gnus ?
> Are you happy with it ? What are the missing features, if any ? How do
> you feal about the auto handling of groups and expiration ?

I use Leafnode with Gnus, and I am happy with it.  I have a simple
setup (only one NNTP server), so there are no features I particularly
miss.  Handling of groups and expiration are fine for me.

Paolo
--
Lisp Propulsion Laboratory log - http://www.paoloamoroso.it/log

* Re: Leafnode
@ 2005-05-17 17:04   ` Flatman
From: Flatman @ 2005-05-17 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paolo Amoroso <amoroso@mclink.it> writes:

> I use Leafnode with Gnus, and I am happy with it.  I have a simple
> setup (only one NNTP server), so there are no features I particularly
> miss.  Handling of groups and expiration are fine for me.

Thanks
I installed leafnode with the different servers and everything works fine ...
Especially I don't need agent anymore !

The configuration was really simple also.

Erik

* Re: Leafnode
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-17 20:04 ` prep
From: prep @ 2005-05-17 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Flatman <flatman@swing.be> writes:

> As I'm using 5 news servers and don't like the way agent handles
> them for offline reading/posting (plugged/unplugged) I figured out I
> could install my own local server .

> I thought about installing Leafnode.  Anybody uses this with gnus ?
> Are you happy with it ? What are the missing features, if any ? How
> do you feal about the auto handling of groups and expiration ?

Biggest problem is low trafic groups that can get dropped then
re-started.  This resets the item numbers and all the new post are
considered by gnus to be `old', and and items archived in the cache
are now out of sequence.

It also has problems at time with large groups.

--
Paul Repacholi                               1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001                           Kalamunda.