* Re: Messages appearing unread.
       [not found] <87vfwi70bx.fsf@cam.ac.uk>
@ 2003-05-11  4:39 ` Gaute B Strokkenes
       [not found]   ` <84k7cvco9p.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Gaute B Strokkenes @ 2003-05-11  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 mai 2003, gs234@cam.ac.uk wrote:
>[1] At least I _think_ it only happens to one group.  It's pretty
>high volume, so I usually notice when there's no new mail.  It could
>be happening to lower volume groups as well without me noticing,
>although I've been pretty paranoid about this lately.

Well, I've now seen it happen somewhere else as well.  I moved some
messages from nnml:mail.misc to itself, and immediately noticed how
the unread count did not go up.  Sure enough, the previously unread
messages were now read ("O.").  This is pretty scary.

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
I am a traffic light, and Alan Ginsberg kidnapped my laundry in 1927!

* Re: Messages appearing unread.
       [not found]           ` <87llx8oa1z.fsf@cam.ac.uk>
@ 2003-05-15 11:40             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-15 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> On 15 mai 2003, kai.grossjohann@gmx.net wrote:
>>> ((seen
>>> (1 . 1060)
>>> (1077 . 4105)
>>> (4190 . 4191)
>>> 54615 54629 54720)
>>
>> And this seems to tell us that messages 4190 through 4191 have been
>> seen, and also that 54615 54629 54720 have been seen.  Those latter
>> numbers are pretty weird.  Do you have files corresponding to these
>> numbers?
>
> No--If I enter the group and turn of threading, then the last message
> has number 4268 according to the mode line.

Well.  Hm.  Please have a look on disk, without Gnus.  Also look in
the .overview file in the directory for that group -- does it have
entries in the 50,000 range?

Also, please have a look at the active file (~/Mail/active, perhaps)
to see what that says for the group in question.

And then, if the 50,000 numbers don't appear anywhere else, you might
wish to `G E' on the group and remove them, to see if that helps.

I don't fully grok Gnus, I just know enough to be suspicious when I
find strange numbers that don't correspond to the messages that
actually exist.  Suspicious of dragons, in fact.
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: Messages appearing unread.
@ 2003-05-15 12:30               ` Gaute B Strokkenes
       [not found]                 ` <84znlo8d9j.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Gaute B Strokkenes @ 2003-05-15 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15 mai 2003, kai.grossjohann@gmx.net wrote:
> Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@cam.ac.uk> writes:

>>> And this seems to tell us that messages 4190 through 4191 have
>>> been seen, and also that 54615 54629 54720 have been seen.  Those
>>> latter numbers are pretty weird.  Do you have files corresponding
>>> to these numbers?
>>
>> No--If I enter the group and turn of threading, then the last
>> message has number 4268 according to the mode line.
>
> Well.  Hm.  Please have a look on disk, without Gnus.  Also look in
> the .overview file in the directory for that group -- does it have
> entries in the 50,000 range?

No, the entries are all decently-numbered below the 5000 range.

> Also, please have a look at the active file (~/Mail/active, perhaps)
> to see what that says for the group in question.

Looks like you're on to something:

((read (1 . 1594)
       (1596 . 1622)
       (1624 . 1630)
       (4227 . 4235)
       (4237 . 4278)
       (4280 . 54614)    <
       (54616 . 54628)   <
       (54630 . 54719))  <
 (tick (71 . 287)
       (354 . 361)
       (582 . 583)
       (627 . 657)
       668
       911
       (1865 . 1867)
       1869
       1871
       1873
       1875
       1888
       (1938 . 1939)
       1950
       1965
       (1968 . 1969)
       2019
       2188
       2421
       2526
       2530)
 (expire 1940
	 1953
	 2386
	 2389
	 2556
	 2586))

> And then, if the 50,000 numbers don't appear anywhere else, you
> might wish to `G E' on the group and remove them, to see if that
> helps.

I'll try that now, thanks.

> I don't fully grok Gnus, I just know enough to be suspicious when I
> find strange numbers that don't correspond to the messages that
> actually exist.  Suspicious of dragons, in fact.

Here is a snippet from the *Messages* buffer, when I just started
Gnus:

--8<--
Wrote /home/gs234/Mail/gnu/bug-emacs/564
Wrote /home/gs234/Mail/debian/devel/4292
Wrote /home/gs234/Mail/debian/devel/4293
Wrote /home/gs234/Mail/gnu/bug-utils/1637
Wrote /home/gs234/Mail/debian/devel/4294
nnml: Reading incoming mail from imap...
--8<--

As you can see, the most recent message is the just-arrived 4294.
When I do `G E' on debian.devel, I get:

("nnml:debian.devel" 3
 ((1 . 1594)
  (1596 . 1622)
  (4221 . 4225)
  (4227 . 4235)
  (4237 . 4278)
  (4280 . 4294))
          ^^^^
 ((expire 1940 1953 2386 2389 2556 2586)
  (tick
   (71 . 287)
   (354 . 361)
   (582 . 583)
   (627 . 657)
   668 911
   (1865 . 1867)
   1869 1871 1873 1875 1888
   (1938 . 1939)
   1950 1965
   (1968 . 1969)
   2019 2188 2421 2526 2530)
  (seen
   (1 . 1060)
   (1077 . 4280)
           ^^^^
   54615 54629 54720))
 "nnml:")

So something is definitely munging this.

Notice how articles 4281-4294 are read, but unseen.

I take it that to repair this I ought to simply delete any bits that
have numbers with ~54xxx in them?

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
My Aunt MAUREEN was a military advisor to IKE & TINA TURNER!!

@ 2003-05-15 23:18                   ` Gaute B Strokkenes
From: Gaute B Strokkenes @ 2003-05-15 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15 mai 2003, kai.grossjohann@gmx.net wrote:
> Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Notice how articles 4281-4294 are read, but unseen.
>
> This seems bad.
>
>> I take it that to repair this I ought to simply delete any bits
>> that have numbers with ~54xxx in them?
>
> That would be a first attempt.

How do I go about it?  Do I shut down Gnus and edit .newsrc.eld,
and .marks simultaneously?  Or is it sufficient to use `G E' ?

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
I think I'll make SCRAMBLED EGGS!!  They're each in LITTLE SHELLS..

* Re: Messages appearing unread.
@ 2003-05-17 12:17                     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-17 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> How do I go about it?  Do I shut down Gnus and edit .newsrc.eld,
> and .marks simultaneously?  Or is it sufficient to use `G E' ?

The former appears better.

I'm afraid that `G E' might not propagate to the .marks file.  I had
completely forgotten about the .marks file.  Hm.  Maybe this can be
implemented somehow.

--
This line is not blank.

* Re: Messages appearing unread.
@ 2003-05-21 15:36                       ` Gaute B Strokkenes
From: Gaute B Strokkenes @ 2003-05-21 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 mai 2003, kai.grossjohann@gmx.net wrote:
> Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> How do I go about it?  Do I shut down Gnus and edit .newsrc.eld,
>> and .marks simultaneously?  Or is it sufficient to use `G E' ?
>
> The former appears better.

Thanks!  I followed your advise, and I the problem appears to have
ceased.  Now, if only I could get nnimap to play nicely with tls,
everything would be hunky-dory...

--
Gaute Strokkenes                        http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
TATTOOED MIDGETS are using ALFREDO in their SALAMI FACTORY!