From: Vasily Korytov <moderator@faqteam.org>
Subject: Re: Gnusbie questions?
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 06:18:48 +0400	[thread overview]

 RVM> But how does mail-sources settings affect nnmail settings?

 RVM> (setq
 RVM> nnmail-spool-file "po:loginname" ;Login
 RVM> nnmail-pop-password-required t    ;Password
 RVM> mail-host-address "pop3server.isp.com"  ;Incoming mail
 RVM> )

I think, you don't need any of these anymore. Try to comment them all
out.

Probably, the quoted above variables make Gnus using movemail (a
separate executable; that one was asking you a password =), not its
native facilities for POP3 (I think, there's no reason of using the
first one, except for, maybe, speed -- but on modern machines it doesn't
matter), but I'm not sure.

 >> Maybe you should search the archives of this newsgroup for the answer,
 >> how to accompish it.

 RVM> I guess that's next, I've found some stuff at

 RVM> www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/big.html   NTEmacs FAQ
 RVM> www.ccs.neu.edu/software/contrib/gnus/        gnus FAQ
 RVM> my.gnus.org/                                  for Gnus newbies

 RVM> Maybe 'google'ing or 'kibozing'?

Yes. Google (the successor of dejanews) keeps a nice archive. So, you
can search this group for ``keep mail on pop server'' or whatever.
Usenet is a valuable source of information, so I consider its archives a
very good thing. =))

 RVM> Apparently, to keep stuff on the server I must setup to use RMAIL
 RVM> or VM?

I don't use any of these, so I can't definitely say. I can definitely
say, that in the Unix world (I think, that's still the main developement
area of Emacs in general and Gnus and VM specifically; As for RMAIL -- I
think, it's an older thingie) POP mail fetching is often considered to
be a buisiness of a separate program, not mail reader's.

Good examples of fetching programs are fetchmail (former popclient) and
gwpop. First one runs under Windows, but only in environment called
Cygwin -- kinda Un*x emulator; second one is written in Perl and IMHO
it's worth looking at, but I've never used it, so I cannot tell much
here.

I don't say, it's the only way to fetch your mail from POP servers, but
you can surely try this, if Gnus does not support leaving mail on
servers (sorry again, I don't know it and quick search on docs gave
nothing).

--
                     With respect, Vasily Korytov

PGP key fingerprint: A4FE 4665 A720 687F 4ECC 1474 7C16 C498 BAAB C999