* a few questions about the initial setup of gnus
@ 2010-03-06  2:50 Martin
From: Martin @ 2010-03-06  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

1. what do I need to add to .emacs to send email from my gmail account.
At the moment, if I try to send something, it shouws my username and my
hostname in the From: field (instead of username and gmail.com
I've got my ~/.authinfo in place

that's the relevant bit of my .emacs

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.virginmedia.com"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-method '(nnimap "gmail"
(nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
(nnimap-server-port 993)
(nnimap-stream ssl)))

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
    smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
    smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587
"myusername@gmail.com" nil))
    smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
    smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
    smtpmail-smtp-service 587
    smtpmail-local-domain "yourcompany.com")

2. How can I subscribe to particular groups?
3. Can I remove the line about local-domain?

thank you very much in advance

--
regards

Martin

* Re: a few questions about the initial setup of gnus
@ 2010-03-06 10:57 ` .Martin.
From: .Martin. @ 2010-03-06 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Ok, I've found the answers.
--

@ 2010-03-06 11:31   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2010-03-06 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 10:57:06 +0000, .Martin. wrote:

> Ok, I've found the answers.

Could you share them, in case someone stumbles over your questions while
searching for the same answers?

  Thanks,

    Adam

--
 "Money always takes the place of life"                       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: a few questions about the initial setup of gnus
@ 2010-03-06 13:01     ` .Martin.
From: .Martin. @ 2010-03-06 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

When it comes to subsribing to newsgroups, I created a file ~/.newsrc
and included the names of newsgroups I know I want to subscribe to.
Alternatively, there is such an option in emacs/gnus menu.

When it comes to posting messages, I created a ~/.gnus file
and included the following:

(setq gnus-posting-styles
        '((".*"
;;              (address "email@gomain.com")
        (organization "blahblah")
        (signature-file "~/.gnus-sig")
        ))
)

;; my mail headers - if not using posting styles
(setq user-full-name ".Martin.")
(setq user-mail-address "blahblah@gmail.com")

(setq   gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil
        gnus-read-active-file nil
        gnus-nov-is-evil nil)

;; don't ask how many email to dowload
(setq gnus-large-newsgroup 'nil)

I've still got some question that I haven't found any answer.
I guess I'll post them in separate posts
--

@ 2010-03-07 18:01       ` .Martin.
From: .Martin. @ 2010-03-07 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

xtd8865@gmail.com (.Martin.) writes:

There's one more thing that puzzles me. Whenever I post something, in
the main window which lists a group topics it doesn't show my name,
just the name of the usegroup (unlike with other people's posts).
Below I quote my original post which includes my config files.

The other thing is how could I set it up so that my email address
wouldn't appear in the header (or I could write a dummy email there)

thank you

@ 2010-03-07 18:08         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2010-03-07 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 18:01:03 +0000, .Martin. wrote:

> There's one more thing that puzzles me. Whenever I post something, in
> the main window which lists a group topics it doesn't show my name,
> just the name of the usegroup (unlike with other people's posts).

Why does this puzzle you? :-)

Seeing to whom/what you sent something is usually more interesting than
your own name.

Check out the variable gnus-ignored-from-addresses:

,----[ C-h v gnus-ignored-from-addresses RET ]

`----

> The other thing is how could I set it up so that my email address
> wouldn't appear in the header (or I could write a dummy email there)

Please don't, it is annoying and a waste of time.

But since you have set user-mail-address in your configuration, I guess
you can quickly see how to change it?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Your father traded the tools for M&Ms again"                Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: a few questions about the initial setup of gnus
@ 2010-03-07 18:20           ` .Martin.
From: .Martin. @ 2010-03-07 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 18:01:03 +0000, .Martin. wrote:
>
>> There's one more thing that puzzles me. Whenever I post something, in
>> the main window which lists a group topics it doesn't show my name,
>> just the name of the usegroup (unlike with other people's posts).
>
> Why does this puzzle you? :-)
>
> Seeing to whom/what you sent something is usually more interesting than
> your own name.
>
> Check out the variable gnus-ignored-from-addresses:
>
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-ignored-from-addresses RET ]
> | `gnus-ignored-from-addresses' is a variable declared in Lisp.
> |   -- loaded from "gnus-sum"
> |
> | Value: ... elided ...
> |
> | Documentation:
> | *From headers that may be suppressed in favor of To headers.
> | This can be a regexp or a list of regexps.
> `----

Thanks Adam,

Well, does it mean that it's normal? I mean, it's not the case of
my invalid settings?
I'll check the variable. Thanks

>> The other thing is how could I set it up so that my email address
>> wouldn't appear in the header (or I could write a dummy email there)
>
> Please don't, it is annoying and a waste of time.
>
> But since you have set user-mail-address in your configuration, I guess
> you can quickly see how to change it?

Oh, I thought user-mail-address is directly linked to my ability to post
messages.

--

@ 2010-03-07 18:23             ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2010-03-07 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 18:20:37 +0000, .Martin. wrote:

> Well, does it mean that it's normal?

Perfectly normal.

> Oh, I thought user-mail-address is directly linked to my ability to post
> messages.

How would that work?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Yeah, the revolution starts now                             Adam Sjøgren
  In your own backyard"                                  asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: a few questions about the initial setup of gnus
@ 2010-03-07 18:32               ` .Martin.
From: .Martin. @ 2010-03-07 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>> Oh, I thought user-mail-address is directly linked to my ability to post
>> messages.
>
> How would that work?

Fair enough, I mixed it up with the smtp settings from .emacs

Thank you

--
regards

.Martin.