* Where to download starttls?
@ 2010-01-31 23:31 Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2010-01-31 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I need `starttls' in order to send mail with Gnus trough my gmail
account.

Where do I download that package?  I couldn't find it over the net.

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo

* Re: Where to download starttls?
@ 2010-02-01  0:24 ` Mark T. B. Carroll
From: Mark T. B. Carroll @ 2010-02-01  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

> I need `starttls' in order to send mail with Gnus trough my gmail
> account.
>
> Where do I download that package?  I couldn't find it over the net.

For what it's worth, the README from mine says,

** starttls - simple wrapper program for STARTTLS **

* CVS

  Latest developing version is available at CVS.

(0) logging in to anonymous CVS server.

    % cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.m17n.org:/cvs/root login

    CVS password: [CR] # NULL string

(1) checkout the module

    % cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.m17n.org:/cvs/root checkout starttls

(2) bootstrapping

  % cd starttls
  % ./bootstrap

* Bug reports

  If you write bug-reports and/or suggestions for improvement, please
  send them to the EMACS-MIME Mailing List:

        emacs-mime-en@m17n.org  (English)
        emacs-mime-ja@m17n.org  (Japanese)

* Re: Where to download starttls?
@ 2010-02-01 15:53   ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2010-02-01 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: Mark T. B. Carroll

On Feb 1, 1:24 am, "Mark T. B. Carroll" <mtbc@ixod.org> wrote:
> Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:
> > I need `starttls' in order to send mail with Gnus trough my gmail
> > account.
>
> > Where do I download that package?  I couldn't find it over the net.
>
> For what it's worth, the README from mine says,
>
> ** starttls - simple wrapper program for STARTTLS **
>
> * CVS
>
>   Latest developing version is available at CVS.
>
> (0) logging in to anonymous CVS server.
>
>     % cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.m17n.org:/cvs/root login
>
>     CVS password: [CR] # NULL string
>
> (1) checkout the module
>
>     % cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.m17n.org:/cvs/root checkout starttls
>
> (2) bootstrapping
>
>   % cd starttls
>   % ./bootstrap
>
> * Bug reports
>
>   If you write bug-reports and/or suggestions for improvement, please
>   send them to the EMACS-MIME Mailing List:
>
>         emacs-mime-en@m17n.org  (English)
>         emacs-mime-ja@m17n.org  (Japanese)

Thanks: but the password is not clear: the access is refused for user
anonynous.
Can you specify it more clearly?

Thanks

@ 2010-02-01 16:01     ` Mark T. B. Carroll
From: Mark T. B. Carroll @ 2010-02-01 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

> On Feb 1, 1:24 am, "Mark T. B. Carroll" <mtbc@ixod.org> wrote:

>>     % cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.m17n.org:/cvs/root login
>>
>>     CVS password: [CR] # NULL string
>>
>> (1) checkout the module
>>
>>     % cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.m17n.org:/cvs/root checkout starttls

> Thanks: but the password is not clear: the access is refused for user
> anonynous.

anony_m_ous

> Can you specify it more clearly?

Works fine for me --

$ cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.m17n.org:/cvs/root login
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@cvs.m17n.org:2401/cvs/root
CVS password:
$ cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.m17n.org:/cvs/root checkout starttls
cvs checkout: Updating starttls
$

(I just hit ENTER at the password prompt.)

In case it matters,

$ cvs --version

Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.12.13 (client/server)

CVS version may not be best anyway, perhaps someone else can point
toward a stable release.

Mark

* Re: Where to download starttls?
@ 2010-02-01 16:02     ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2010-02-01 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: Rodolfo Medina, Mark T. B. Carroll

On Feb 1, 4:53 pm, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 1:24 am, "Mark T. B. Carroll" <mtbc@ixod.org> wrote:
>

> > Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:
> > > I need `starttls' in order to send mail with Gnus trough my gmail
> > > account.
>
> > > Where do I download that package?  I couldn't find it over the net.
>
> > For what it's worth, the README from mine says,
>
> > ** starttls - simple wrapper program for STARTTLS **
>
> > * CVS
>
> >   Latest developing version is available at CVS.
>
> > (0) logging in to anonymous CVS server.
>
> >     % cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.m17n.org:/cvs/root login
>
> >     CVS password: [CR] # NULL string
>
> > (1) checkout the module
>
> >     % cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.m17n.org:/cvs/root checkout starttls
>
> > (2) bootstrapping
>
> >   % cd starttls
> >   % ./bootstrap
>
> > * Bug reports
>
> >   If you write bug-reports and/or suggestions for improvement, please
> >   send them to the EMACS-MIME Mailing List:
>
> >         emacs-mime-en@m17n.org  (English)
> >         emacs-mime-ja@m17n.org  (Japanese)
>
> Thanks: but the password is not clear: the access is refused for user
> anonynous.
> Can you specify it more clearly?

Yes, it seems ok now.
Rodolfo

* Gnus won't send mail trough gmail account (was: Where to download starttls?)
@ 2010-02-01 18:12   ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2010-02-01 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

"Mark T. B. Carroll" <mtbc@ixod.org> writes:

> For what it's worth, the README from mine says,
>

> ** starttls - simple wrapper program for STARTTLS **
>
> * CVS
>
>   Latest developing version is available at CVS.
>
> (0) logging in to anonymous CVS server.
>
>     % cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.m17n.org:/cvs/root login
>
>     CVS password: [CR] # NULL string
>
> (1) checkout the module
>
>     % cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.m17n.org:/cvs/root checkout starttls
>
> (2) bootstrapping
>
>   % cd starttls
>   % ./bootstrap

The download and the boostrap seemed to go well, yet Gnus desn't manage to send
messages through my gmail account: I still get a

 smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed; SMTP protocol error

error.  Please help!  GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 (cvs), No Gnus v0.11 (cvs).

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo

* Problems with starttls installation (was: Where to download starttls?)
@ 2010-02-01 22:32 ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2010-02-01 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I downloaded starttls cvs.  I cd to starttls directory, then did:

 $ ./bootstrap
 $ ./configure
 $ make

, but got the following error:

 asnprintf.c:18:20: error: config.h: No such file or directory

At debian.user mailing list someone said that the file config.h should have
been generated by the `configure' script.

Can anybody provide any help with this issue?

Thanks
Rodolfo

* Re: Problems with starttls installation
@ 2010-02-02  1:02   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-02-02  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> I downloaded starttls cvs.  I cd to starttls directory, then did:

>  $ ./bootstrap
>  $ ./configure
>  $ make

> , but got the following error:

>  asnprintf.c:18:20: error: config.h: No such file or directory

> At debian.user mailing list someone said that the file config.h should have
> been generated by the `configure' script.

> Can anybody provide any help with this issue?

It's a bit old but I use:

http://ftp.opaopa.org/pub/elisp/starttls-0.10.tar.gz

$ ./configure
$ make

(There's no `bootstrap' script.)

The only reason I didn't use the one checked out from cvs.m17n.org
is I didn't have `gnulib-tool'.

* [solved] Re: Problems with starttls installation
@ 2010-02-02 19:39     ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2010-02-02 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> It's a bit old but I use:
>
> http://ftp.opaopa.org/pub/elisp/starttls-0.10.tar.gz
>
> $ ./configure
> $ make
>
> (There's no `bootstrap' script.)
>
> The only reason I didn't use the one checked out from cvs.m17n.org
> is I didn't have `gnulib-tool'.

Thanks, that seems to work!  I do have gnulib-tool, but starttls cvs wouldn't
install either.

Rodolfo