* View read articles in a group.
@ 2006-04-26  5:45 Fredrik Bulow
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Fredrik Bulow @ 2006-04-26  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all.

How do I view all read articles in a group (i.e. the ones that show up
marked with O's when there are no unread articles left). Strangely
enough how to do this doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual.

* Re: View read articles in a group.
@ 2006-04-26  7:48 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-04-26  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 26 2006, Fredrik Bulow wrote:

> How do I view all read articles in a group (i.e. the ones that show up
> marked with O's when there are no unread articles left). Strangely
> enough how to do this doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual.

It's even in the FAQ included in the Gnus manual:

,----[ (info "(gnus)[4.1]") ]
| Question 4.1
|
| When I enter a group, all read messages are gone. How to view them
| again?
`----

See also...

,----[ (info "(gnus)Selecting a Group") ]
| `SPACE'
|      Select the current group, switch to the summary buffer and display
|      the first unread article (`gnus-group-read-group').  If there are
|      no unread articles in the group, or if you give a non-numerical
|      prefix to this command, Gnus will offer to fetch all the old
|      articles in this group from the server.  If you give a numerical
|      prefix N, N determines the number of articles Gnus will fetch.  If
|      N is positive, Gnus fetches the N newest articles, if N is
|      negative, Gnus fetches the `abs(N)' oldest articles.
|
|      Thus, `SPC' enters the group normally, `C-u SPC' offers old
|      articles, `C-u 4 2 SPC' fetches the 42 newest articles, and `C-u -
|      4 2 SPC' fetches the 42 oldest ones.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: View read articles in a group.
@ 2006-04-26  8:09 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-04-26  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fredrik Bulow <kaliumfredrik@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Fredrik,

> How do I view all read articles in a group (i.e. the ones that show up
> marked with O's when there are no unread articles left). Strangely
> enough how to do this doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Selecting a Group") ]
| `SPACE'
|      Select the current group, switch to the summary buffer and
|      display the first unread article (`gnus-group-read-group').  If
|      there are no unread articles in the group, or if you give a
|      non-numerical prefix to this command, Gnus will offer to fetch
|      all the old articles in this group from the server.  If you give
|      a numerical prefix N, N determines the number of articles Gnus
|      will fetch.  If N is positive, Gnus fetches the N newest
|      articles, if N is negative, Gnus fetches the `abs(N)' oldest
|      articles.
|
|      Thus, `SPC' enters the group normally, `C-u SPC' offers old
|      articles, `C-u 4 2 SPC' fetches the 42 newest articles, and `C-u
|      - 4 2 SPC' fetches the 42 oldest ones.
|
|      When you are in the group (in the Summary buffer), you can type
|      `M-g' to fetch new articles, or `C-u M-g' to also show the old
|      ones.
`----

Or if you want to display only all (previously) read articles and let
the unread articles disappear, open the summary buffer with all articles
and limit it to read articles with `/ m O'. This works with all marks,
the 'O' is the gnus-ancient-mark, which applies to all messages you've
read in previous session.

Regards,
Tassilo
--
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

* Re: View read articles in a group.
@ 2006-04-26  8:35 ` Bert 'theBlackDragon' Geens
From: Bert 'theBlackDragon' Geens @ 2006-04-26  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fredrik Bulow <kaliumfredrik@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all.
>
> How do I view all read articles in a group (i.e. the ones that show up
> marked with O's when there are no unread articles left). Strangely
> enough how to do this doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual.

I don't know where it is in the manual but it is in the tutorial over at
my.gnus.org (http://my.gnus.org/tutorial/Mail.html#Mail).

The command is C-u M-g.

Cheers

Bert