* Re: must server be loaded to use Gcc ?
       [not found]         ` <m3eli52692.fsf@multivac.cwru.edu>
@ 2002-03-27 21:19           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-27 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
>> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
>>> 5. Review your whole .newsrc.eld, making similar changes.
>>
>> I think the problem is that .newsrc.eld lists the server as nil for
>> groups coming from gnus-select-method.  But how to find the right
>> occurrences of nil that should be replaced with "nntp:foo"?
>
> That's what the [G e] step was supposed to handle.  Doesn't it?

Ah!  Right.  Sorry for missing this one.

>> And how to find all groups which come from the native server?  One
>> must look for a list where the first element is a string which does
>> not contain the ":" character.  Whee...
>
> Right.  Fixing the top-level group names in gnus-newsrc-alist would be
> easy enough programmatically, but there could be other instance of
> group names - e.g., in group parameters somewhere.

After the previous step this might not be necessary anymore.  Hm.
Along with `G e', one could also change the group name.  Is `G E'
necessary for that or is there another way?

This `G e' thing could even be put in a kbd macro, so it would be
feasible to make it mostly automatic.  Cool.

I think I want to do this migration.

kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Re: must server be loaded to use Gcc ?
@ 2002-03-27 22:31             ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-03-27 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
>> Fixing the top-level group names in gnus-newsrc-alist would be easy
>> enough programmatically, but there could be other instance of group
>> names - e.g., in group parameters somewhere.
>
> After the previous step this might not be necessary anymore.  Hm.

I doubt Gnus would be intrusive enough to, e.g., dig into each group's
parameters, look for a posting-style, find a "Gcc" entry, and rewrite
it simply because I changed a group's server.  Nor would I want Gnus
to be that intrusive, since it'd almost certainly go wrong sometimes.

> Along with `G e', one could also change the group name.  Is `G E'
> necessary for that or is there another way?

[G E] is the only way I know of.  But is it safe to do that while Gnus
is running?  Even if you exit Gnus immediately afterwards, there could
be exit hooks, etc., that expect an unprefixed group name.

paul

* Re: must server be loaded to use Gcc ?
@ 2002-03-28  0:05             ` Paul Jarc
       [not found]             ` <vaf7knx136p.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-03-28  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Micha Wiedenmann <Micha.Wiedenmann@gmx.net> wrote:
> What about `gnus-agentize'. I am frightened to break all things.

I don't know; I don't use the Agent.

> Will nnnil be Gnus default in future releases?

It could be made the default in cases where gnus-select-method would
otherwise default nil, I think.

paul

@ 2002-03-28  0:54           ` Micha Wiedenmann
       [not found]             ` <vaf7knx136p.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
From: Micha Wiedenmann @ 2002-03-28  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Jarc schrieb am 27.03.2002:

>Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
>> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
>>> 5. Review your whole .newsrc.eld, making similar changes.
>>
>> I think the problem is that .newsrc.eld lists the server as nil for
>> groups coming from gnus-select-method.  But how to find the right
>> occurrences of nil that should be replaced with "nntp:foo"?
>
>That's what the [G e] step was supposed to handle.  Doesn't it?
>
>> And how to find all groups which come from the native server?  One
>> must look for a list where the first element is a string which does
>> not contain the ":" character.  Whee...
>
>Right.  Fixing the top-level group names in gnus-newsrc-alist would be
>easy enough programmatically, but there could be other instance of
>group names - e.g., in group parameters somewhere.

What about `gnus-agentize'. I am frightened to break all things. Will
nnnil be Gnus default in future releases? I never understood why to
distinguish between primary and secondary.

Bye, Micha
--
He who knows nothing, knows nothing.
But he who knows he knows nothing knows something.

* Re: must server be loaded to use Gcc ?
       [not found]                       ` <m3k7rwnvws.fsf@multivac.cwru.edu>
@ 2002-03-29  9:00                         ` A. L. Meyers
       [not found]                           ` <vafu1qzvaq0.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
From: A. L. Meyers @ 2002-03-29  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> "A. Lucien Meyers"
> <nospam.look@replyto.please.because.this.is.invalid> wrote:
>> I can't get it to work but have saved .newsrc and newsrc.eld.  Doing
>> G e on each newsgroup always showed "native" so I simply put
>> "nntp:native" in each case and saved with C-c C-c.
>
> It should probably be "nntp:" instead.  What does you old
> gnus-primary-select-method look like?  If it's (nntp "foo" ...), then
> use "nntp:foo".  (foo is probably an empty string.)
>
>> Finally edited .newsrc.eld and put in
>> e. g. "nntp+native:gnu.emacs.gnus".
>
> That should be "nntp+foo:gnu.emacs.gnus" if foo is not empty, or
> "nntp:gnu.emacs.gnus" is foo is empty.

Meanwhile have following my understanding of your instructions (see
prior post) and it works inasmuch as I can get the newsgroups.

However, the original problem, alas, still seems unresolved. Doing
gnus-no-server gets me neither newgroups nor nnmaildirgroups, just a
screen with nnnil.

Starting gnus with F10-Tools-Read Mail with Gnus checks nnmaildir first
but then connects to the internet to download news. No improvement.

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
PGP Key fingerprint=F1C0 D9AE 1B18 1405 4DFA  B4CC 6DC7 FF78 C76E FB15

@ 2002-03-29 15:19                             ` A. L. Meyers
From: A. L. Meyers @ 2002-03-29 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "A. L. Meyers" <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> writes:
>
>> However, the original problem, alas, still seems unresolved. Doing
>> gnus-no-server gets me neither newgroups nor nnmaildirgroups, just a
>> screen with nnnil.
>
> This is the first time I see you mentioning this problem.  Hm.  Can
> you show us the current values of the variables gnus-select-method
> and gnus-secondary-select-methods?

Here they are:

gnus-select-method's value is (nnnil "")

gnus-secondary-select-methods's value is
((nnmaildir ""
            (directory "~/g/nnmaildir")
            (create-directory "~/g/maildirs")
            (directory-files nnheader-directory-files-safe)
            (get-new-mail t))
 (nntp "news.myisp.ch"))

What I want to do is open the nnmaildir server (giving me access to the
nnmaildirgroups for Gcc: purposes) without gnus checking for new news
and in so doing connect to my ISP.

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
PGP Key fingerprint=F1C0 D9AE 1B18 1405 4DFA  B4CC 6DC7 FF78 C76E FB15
To Big Brother Echelon from "spook":
DES supercomputer North Korea obfuscation arrangements CIA explosion NSA

* Re: must server be loaded to use Gcc ?
       [not found]                             ` <87elhvzixw.fsf@landhaus.consult-meyers.com>
@ 2002-04-04 17:09                               ` Paul Jarc
       [not found]                                 ` <k8z1yduof6u.fsf@alcatel.de>
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-04-04 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

"A. L. Meyers" <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> wrote:
> If I understand my email system correctly, fetchmail gets the mail at my
> ISP and hands it to qmail, who transfers it (without procmail for the
> time being) to my maildir, ~/.maildir/ .

getmail could retrieve your mail and deliver it directly to your
maildir, without having to go through a local MTA.
<URL:http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/software/getmail-2.0/>

> Now starting guns-unplugged does load the nnmaildir secondary server but
> does NOT get-new-mail from this server.

So there is new mail in ~/.maildir/, and ~/.maildir/ is in
mail-sources, but that mail is not split into groups while you're
unplugged?  Is that right?

paul

@ 2002-04-05  8:23                                   ` A. L. Meyers
From: A. L. Meyers @ 2002-04-05  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Marquardt <c.marquardt@alcatel.de> writes:

> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
>
>> "A. L. Meyers" <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> wrote:
>>> If I understand my email system correctly, fetchmail gets the mail
>>> at my ISP and hands it to qmail, who transfers it (without procmail
>>> for the time being) to my maildir, ~/.maildir/ .
>>
>> getmail could retrieve your mail and deliver it directly to your
>> maildir, without having to go through a local MTA.
>> <URL:http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/software/getmail-2.0/>
>
> Or animail from animail.sf.net: "Animail is a POP3/APOP/IMAP4Rev1
> (with or without SSL, IMAP4 from version 1.1.2 and up) client".

Thanks for the references. Apparently I did not explain the problem
well. Getting the mail into ~./.maildir/ is not the problem. But Gnus
does not pick up the mail from this directory and sort it using
nnmail-spilt-methods unless the network connection is up, i. e.
"plugged".

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
PGP key fingerprint=F1C0 D9AE 1B18 1405 4DFA  B4CC 6DC7 FF78 C76E FB15
To Big Brother Echelon from "spook":
SEAL Team 6 Waco, Texas BATF spy Rule Psix Marxist Cocaine Kennedy Iran