* Universal "answered marks"?
@ 2021-11-09  7:00 Lars-Johan Liman
From: Lars-Johan Liman @ 2021-11-09  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi! It's me again! :-)

Another thing that has made me curious for a long time ...

I'm using GNUS for e-mail with a local MH directory structure storage
backend. My fancy-mail-split sometimes copy a message into two folders
(on purpose).

If I read the message in one of the folders, it will be marked as "read"
(and eventually classified as old ("O")) in both. I perceive this as
good. I only need to read it once.

But if I reply to the message, the "A" mark that indicates that I have
answered the message only appears in the folder where I actually sat
when I replied. If I go to the other folder, there is no indication on
the summary line that I have replied to the message.

Is it possible to make the "A" mark appear in all folders that have a
copy of the message? (It's obviously possible for the "read" mark, so
why not for the "answered" mark?)

				Cheers,
				  /Liman

* Re: Universal "answered marks"?
@ 2021-11-09 23:59 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-11-09 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars-Johan Liman; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Lars-Johan Liman <info-gnus-english@cafax.se> writes:

> If I read the message in one of the folders, it will be marked as "read"
> (and eventually classified as old ("O")) in both. I perceive this as
> good. I only need to read it once.

Yes, that's through the crossposting support...

> But if I reply to the message, the "A" mark that indicates that I have
> answered the message only appears in the folder where I actually sat
> when I replied. If I go to the other folder, there is no indication on
> the summary line that I have replied to the message.

I'm not sure that would be workeable in general -- it could be annoying
to tick an article in one group and then having it be ticked in five
other groups, too.  But perhaps that would be nice for certain article
marks, like the "A" mark?  Actually, while I'm typing this, I get the
feeling that Gnus does have support for it somewhere, but I can't find
it...  Does anybody know whether this functionality is hiding somewhere?

* Re: Universal "answered marks"?
@ 2021-11-10  6:11   ` Lars-Johan Liman
From: Lars-Johan Liman @ 2021-11-10  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

larsi@gnus.org 2021-11-10 00:59 [+0100]:
> I'm not sure that would be workeable in general -- it could be annoying
> to tick an article in one group and then having it be ticked in five
> other groups, too.  But perhaps that would be nice for certain article
> marks, like the "A" mark?  Actually, while I'm typing this, I get the
> feeling that Gnus does have support for it somewhere, but I can't find
> it...  Does anybody know whether this functionality is hiding somewhere?

Yes, I agree different marks have different properties in this respect.
My personal taste is that I would gladly see "seen", "read", "answered",
and "ticked" ("!") be "universal" (YMMV!). "Seen" and "read" already
work like this.

				Cheers,
				  /Liman