* fcc with nnml mail spool
@ 2021-07-25 20:42 Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2021-07-25 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

that has been posted to gmane.emacs.gnus.user as well.

If mail is stored in mbox format, an fcc header allows to keep a local
copy of an outgoing mail message, where (by default) the copy of the
mail message is appended to an mbox file like any external messages.
This way, everything in a thread is naturally kept together for later
reference, the external mail messages plus my replies.

How can one achieve the same thing with the nnml mail spool?  Of course,
there is the bcc header.  But can one also generate local copies of
outgoing mail messages that go straight into one of the nnml mail
groups?

I guess the syntax of the old-fashioned fcc header is not the most
helpful for this.  Instead of an mbox file it would be useful to specify
the Gnus group the copy of the outgoing mail message should go into.
Such a syntax could even work with any other Gnus mail back end.  Or am
I missing something?

I also found the variable message-fcc-handler-function.  But I am not
sure how it can possibly help in the above context.

* Re: fcc with nnml mail spool
@ 2021-07-25 21:09 ` Adam Sjøgren via info-gnus-english
From: Adam Sjøgren via info-gnus-english @ 2021-07-25 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Roland writes:

> How can one achieve the same thing with the nnml mail spool?

I use the archiving functionality in Gnus for this. It adds a
(Gnus-specific) header to news articles like this:

  Gcc: nnml+archive:news-2021

For email I have configured it to add this:

  Gcc: nnml+archive:news-2021

I have set gnus-message-archive-method in .gnus to this:

  '(nnml "archive"
     (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
     (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
     (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
     (gnus-search-engine gnus-search-notmuch)
     (nnml-inhibit-expiry t))

and then I have:

  (setq gnus-message-archive-group
        '((if (message-news-p)
              (concat "news-" (format-time-string "%Y"))
            (concat "mail-" (format-time-string "%Y")))))

which does the {news,mail}-{year} part.

I also set gnus-gcc-mark-as-read to t, because I want the archived
messages to be marked as read automatically.

(I guess you could just set your archive method to be your regular
nnml-method - I'm not sure why I split them back in ancient times.)

I hope this helps!

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 'It's pulled, and it's fine, but there's clearly a         Adam Sjøgren
  balance between "octopus merges are fine" and        asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: fcc with nnml mail spool
@ 2021-07-25 21:11   ` Adam Sjøgren via info-gnus-english
From: Adam Sjøgren via info-gnus-english @ 2021-07-25 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Adam Sjøgren writes:

> (I guess you could just set your archive method to be your regular
> nnml-method - I'm not sure why I split them back in ancient times.)

I know why now - I followed the example in the manual almost to the
letter, only changing nnfolder to nnml:

 · https://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_75.html#Archived-Messages

  :-),

   Adam

--
 "It's kind of important to have peace on earth."           Adam Sjøgren
                                                       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: fcc with nnml mail spool
@ 2021-07-26  1:43     ` Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2021-07-26  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren via info-gnus-english; +Cc: Adam Sjøgren

On Sun, Jul 25 2021, Adam Sjøgren via info-gnus-english wrote:
> Adam Sjøgren writes:
>
>> (I guess you could just set your archive method to be your regular
>> nnml-method - I'm not sure why I split them back in ancient times.)
>
> I know why now - I followed the example in the manual almost to the
> letter, only changing nnfolder to nnml:
>
>  · https://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_75.html#Archived-Messages

Thank you, that's very useful!  I am new to the world of Gnus, which
also means that I need to learn where to look for what I want!