* wash forwarded threads
@ 2021-03-19  8:40 Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2021-03-19  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

I've read through the whole Info page on article washing, and now have
a much deeper appreciation for the dirty business of displaying readable
e-mails. However, there's a problem I still have: People keep forwarding
long threads of top-posted replies. Has anyone made anything to make
such things more readable? Ideally, it'd be possible to read such
e-mails as an ephemeral virtual group (similar to doing
`gnus-summary-enter-digest-group') where gnus has some heuristics for
looking for the next forwarded email, and splits the message into
a simple linear thread. Does this seem doable? Or has anyone else solved
this in some other way?

regards,
Kevin

* nnimap-keepalive
@ 2021-03-28 18:37 ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2021-03-28 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Aloha everyone,

I ran into a problem which apparently has history. I'm
spending a month at my son's house and his internet setup
doesn't do well with persistent IMAP connections. So if I
don't do anything with my IMAP connection for a little while,
and then try something, nnimap hangs (I can point out the
precise spot but I assume this is well known already).

Hence nnimap-keepalive. But that's hardwired to run every 15
minutes and check for lack of activity in the past 5
minutes. You can see the problem already, and in fact I found
an old discussion thread suggesting the keepalive time should
be configurable.

By hacking nnimap.el I changed it to a 1 minute run interval
and a 1 minute idle check, and now there is no problem with
hanging. However being largely ignorant of things gnu and
IMAP, I don't know if there is a dark side to this. Probably
so.

However I'd like to re-suggest configurability for the
keepalive timings (both the run interval and the inactivity
interval). IMAP over gnus is a real pain to use at my son's
house and I suspect elsewhere, when similar conditions
prevail.

Mahalo,

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB

* Re: nnimap-keepalive
@ 2021-03-29 16:27   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-03-29 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

> Aloha everyone,
>
> I ran into a problem which apparently has history. I'm
> spending a month at my son's house and his internet setup
> doesn't do well with persistent IMAP connections. So if I
> don't do anything with my IMAP connection for a little while,
> and then try something, nnimap hangs (I can point out the
> precise spot but I assume this is well known already).
>
> Hence nnimap-keepalive. But that's hardwired to run every 15
> minutes and check for lack of activity in the past 5
> minutes. You can see the problem already, and in fact I found
> an old discussion thread suggesting the keepalive time should
> be configurable.
>
> By hacking nnimap.el I changed it to a 1 minute run interval
> and a 1 minute idle check, and now there is no problem with
> hanging. However being largely ignorant of things gnu and
> IMAP, I don't know if there is a dark side to this. Probably
> so.

I've opened bug#47478 for this, with a patch. It adds a new
`nnimap-keepalive-times' option, which you can use to set both interval
and inactivity, or you can set it to nil to disable the keepalive
altogether.

I don't see any particular downside to running the keepalive more
frequently. Obviously it's more network traffic, but such a tiny bit
more I can't imagine it would make any difference. This patch also sets
`nnimap-streaming' to t during the keepalive, so we don't wait for a
response.

Eric