From: Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org>
To: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
Cc: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Re: group splitting and gnus-secondary-select-methods
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 20:34:50 +0200	[thread overview]

Eric, Emanuel,

Thank you for the quick replies!  Perhaps I haven't been clear:
when I said that I'm trying to setup "group mail splitting" I
didn't mean plain mail splitting (I have been using that one since
the begin of the century or so), I meant what the Gnus manual
calls "group mail splitting" (there's a section on it).  Gnus has
functionality to generate fancy splitting rules automatically for
groups that contain 'to-list' or 'to-address' parameters.  If you
have defined these parameters for some groups and evaluate
(gnus-group-split-fancy), you'll get a split that can be assigned
to the variable nnimap-split-fancy.

So far so good, the only problem is that at the time that ~/.gnus
gets executed, (gnus-group-split-fancy) returns an empty split
'(&)'.  You can see this by putting
(setq my-group-split-fancy-result (gnus-group-split-fancy))
in your ~/.gnus and examining the variable.  It seems to me that
this is because when it executes its configuration file, Gnus
doesn't yet know what groups there are.

That's why I've been using hooks to set the variable
gnus-secondary-select-methods.  Gnus has some functionality to
setup hooks for group mail splitting by itself, but this doesn't
cover multiple select methods.

The hooks that I've found (gnus-read-newsrc-el-hook and
gnus-get-new-news-hook), but I'm not sure whether that's the best
way to setup things.  And if it is, it should be maybe added to
the manual.

Christoph