* gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar in Emacs24?
@ 2014-12-15 13:38 Loris Bennett
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Loris Bennett @ 2014-12-15 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

Does anyone know the status of gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar?  Here

https://github.com/jtatarik/ical-event/blob/master/README.md

it is claimed that the code has been integrated into Emacs24.  However
I can't find it in my GNU Emacs 24.3.1 / Gnus v5.13.

Cheers,

Loris

* Re: gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar in Emacs24?
@ 2014-12-15 15:25 ` Emanuel Berg
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-12-15 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> Does anyone know the status of gnus-calendar /
> gnus-icalendar?

I never heard of either, but you are of course aware
of the plain Emacs calendar?

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/dumps/calendar.png

Personally, I stick to the mantra "try it today - in a
different way" so I never bother with what day it is,
but I heard of some people who do, and for them I do
see the idea of using Gnus as a calendar. The days
could be the summary, and what you "must" do (or what
you actually didn't) can be posts. Yes, good idea.

Tell us more if/when you find out. Good luck!

--
underground experts united

* Re: gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar in Emacs24?
@ 2014-12-15 15:54 ` Adam Sjøgren
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-12-15 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Loris writes:

> Does anyone know the status of gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar?

It is working well for me.

> it is claimed that the code has been integrated into Emacs24.  However
> I can't find it in my GNU Emacs 24.3.1 / Gnus v5.13.

It's here in the Gnus repository:

 * http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/tree/lisp/gnus-icalendar.el

and here in the GNU Emacs repository:

 * http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/gnus/gnus-icalendar.el

But it looks like it did not make it into 24.3:

 * http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp?id=24958590a00900371b6b3b154fc1df5c980d056c

It is in 24.4, however:

 * http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/gnus/gnus-icalendar.el?id=83bad90efe943e7c88431b7a71bc1d5cf1304c92

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "The extreme case is probably literature; people             Adam Sjøgren
  studying literature rarely say anything that would be  asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar in Emacs24?
@ 2014-12-15 16:03 ` Charles Philip Chan
       [not found] ` <mailman.16138.1418659474.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.16136.1418658867.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2014-12-15 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 15 Dec 2014, loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de wrote:

> Does anyone know the status of gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar?  Here
>
> https://github.com/jtatarik/ical-event/blob/master/README.md
>
> it is claimed that the code has been integrated into Emacs24.  However
> I can't find it in my GNU Emacs 24.3.1 / Gnus v5.13.

It is now called gnus-icalendar. I see it in my emacs 24.4.51 install:

,----[ ls /usr/local/share/emacs/24.4.51/lisp/gnus/gnus-icalendar.* ]
| /usr/local/share/emacs/24.4.51/lisp/gnus/gnus-icalendar.el.gz
| /usr/local/share/emacs/24.4.51/lisp/gnus/gnus-icalendar.elc
`----

Charles

--
linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
(ksh@cis.ufl.edu put this on Tshirts in '93)

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

@ 2014-12-15 23:35   ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]     ` <mailman.16155.1418693129.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-12-15 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@bell.net> writes:

> It is now called gnus-icalendar. I see it in my
> emacs 24.4.51 ...

Cool!

I there a reason there is a Gnus calendar as well as
the plain Emacs one?

I mean, I'm not criticizing, I know there are
overlapping features in Emacs, for example RMAIL and
Gnus for mail, latex-mode and AUCTeX for LaTeX, and so
on, and I'm in favor of that, just curious if there
were any particular reasons or if the Gnus solution
has a profile in one direction or the other?

--

@ 2014-12-16  1:24     ` Charles Philip Chan
       [not found]     ` <mailman.16155.1418693129.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2014-12-16  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 15 Dec 2014, embe8573@student.uu.se wrote:

> I there a reason there is a Gnus calendar as well as
> the plain Emacs one?
>
> I mean, I'm not criticizing, I know there are
> overlapping features in Emacs, for example RMAIL and
> Gnus for mail, latex-mode and AUCTeX for LaTeX, and so
> on, and I'm in favor of that, just curious if there
> were any particular reasons or if the Gnus solution
> has a profile in one direction or the other?

This is for accepting icalendar invitations in email and optionally sync
with org-mode.

Charles

--
LILO, you've got me on my knees!
(from David Black, dblack@pilot.njin.net, with apologies to Derek and the

@ 2014-12-16 10:33   ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2014-12-16 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 15 Dec 2014, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> Loris writes:
>
>> Does anyone know the status of gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar?
>
> It is working well for me.

It is not yet in Debian's GNU Emacs 24.4.1, but I just loaded the file
from Savanah. And during testing, Gnus sent an accept response to one
invitation! Kudos!

I had a quick look at the comment, (but) I would appreciate more
documentation. For instance, I did not yet manage to add an event to my
diary file. (~/diary). Does that require org integration?

--
Q:	How many IBM CPU's does it take to do a logical right shift?
A:	33.  1 to hold the bits and 32 to push the register.

* Re: gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar in Emacs24?
@ 2014-12-16 10:39     ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2014-12-16 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 16 Dec 2014, Gijs Hillenius wrote:

> On 15 Dec 2014, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
>
>> Loris writes:
>>
>>> Does anyone know the status of gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar?
>>
>> It is working well for me.
>
> It is not yet in Debian's GNU Emacs 24.4.1, but I just loaded the file
> from Savanah. And during testing, Gnus sent an accept response to one
> invitation! Kudos!
>
> I had a quick look at the comment, (but) I would appreciate more
> documentation. For instance, I did not yet manage to add an event to
> my diary file. (~/diary). Does that require org integration?

But I did manage to get an appointment added to my org file after
creating a * Calendar section in that file. Aha!

* Re: gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar in Emacs24?
@ 2014-12-16 11:41       ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]         ` <mailman.16288.1418822799.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-12-16 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs writes:

>> I had a quick look at the comment, (but) I would appreciate more
>> documentation. For instance, I did not yet manage to add an event to
>> my diary file. (~/diary). Does that require org integration?

> But I did manage to get an appointment added to my org file after
> creating a * Calendar section in that file. Aha!

It has been a while since I got it set up, but here is my configuration:

    (require 'gnus-icalendar)

    ;; to enable optional iCalendar->Org sync functionality
    ;; NOTE: both the capture file and the headline(s) inside must already exist
    (setq gnus-icalendar-org-capture-file "~/org/calendar.org")
    (setq gnus-icalendar-org-capture-headline '("Calendar"))
    (gnus-icalendar-org-setup)

    (setq gnus-icalendar-additional-identities '("extra@example.com"
                                                 "somemore@example.com"))

I have also installed Emacs-Calfw, which enables a very nice view of
the org-mode calendar:

 * https://github.com/kiwanami/emacs-calfw

Besides the usual M-x org-agenda-list.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Så skal man bare huske at netværk bliver lavet              Adam Sjøgren
  af ingeniører, RAM af computerfolk og harddiske        asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar in Emacs24?
@ 2014-12-16 14:41     ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2014-12-16 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 16 Dec 2014, Gijs Hillenius wrote:

> On 15 Dec 2014, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
>
>> Loris writes:
>>
>>> Does anyone know the status of gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar?
>>
>> It is working well for me.
>
> It is not yet in Debian's GNU Emacs 24.4.1, but I just loaded the file

I was wrong. it *is* in Debian's GNU Emacs 24.4.1. And it is working
beautifully. Yippie!

* Re: gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar in Emacs24?
       [not found]     ` <mailman.16155.1418693129.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2014-12-16 22:41       ` Emanuel Berg
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-12-16 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@bell.net> writes:

>> I there a reason there is a Gnus calendar as well
>> as the plain Emacs one? I mean, I'm not
>> criticizing, I know there are overlapping features
>> in Emacs, for example RMAIL and Gnus for mail,
>> latex-mode and AUCTeX for LaTeX, and so on, and I'm
>> in favor of that, just curious if there were any
>> particular reasons or if the Gnus solution has a
>> profile in one direction or the other?
>
> This is for accepting icalendar invitations in email
> and optionally sync with org-mode.

Now you are describing it in terms of technology
instances that I'm unfamiliar with. G00gle reveals
that icalendar is an accursed Apple thing, so I
suppose it is an integration with Apple's calendar.
Good for you - eh :)

--

@ 2014-12-16 22:49         ` David Engster
       [not found]         ` <mailman.16239.1418770400.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: David Engster @ 2014-12-16 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Emanuel Berg writes:
> Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@bell.net> writes:
>
>>> I there a reason there is a Gnus calendar as well
>>> as the plain Emacs one? I mean, I'm not
>>> criticizing, I know there are overlapping features
>>> in Emacs, for example RMAIL and Gnus for mail,
>>> latex-mode and AUCTeX for LaTeX, and so on, and I'm
>>> in favor of that, just curious if there were any
>>> particular reasons or if the Gnus solution has a
>>> profile in one direction or the other?
>>
>> This is for accepting icalendar invitations in email
>> and optionally sync with org-mode.
>
> Now you are describing it in terms of technology
> instances that I'm unfamiliar with. G00gle reveals
> that icalendar is an accursed Apple thing, so I
> suppose it is an integration with Apple's calendar.
> Good for you - eh :)

Maybe try Google instead of G00gle, and you'll find

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5545

-David

* Re: gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar in Emacs24?
@ 2014-12-16 22:52         ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]         ` <mailman.16239.1418770400.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-12-16 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Emanuel writes:

> G00gle reveals that icalendar is an accursed Apple thing, so I suppose
> it is an integration with Apple's calendar. Good for you - eh :)

Many programs support the format, and it is defined in rfc5545, so
"accursed Apple thing" is not quite accurate.

To wit:

 * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICalendar

I use gnus-icalendar at work to avoid having to use Outlook, and I use
the iCalendar format at home to get calendars from my computers to show
up on an Android phone. No Apple involved.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the          Adam Sjøgren
  reality I accept."                                     asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2014-12-16 23:15           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-12-16 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Many programs support the format, and it is defined
> in rfc5545, so "accursed Apple thing" is not quite
> accurate.
>
> To wit:
>
>  * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICalendar
>
> I use gnus-icalendar at work to avoid having to use
> Outlook, and I use the iCalendar format at home to
> get calendars from my computers to show up on an
> Android phone. No Apple involved.

OK, just out of respect for you guys I will print and
read that Wikipedia page right now...

--
underground experts united

* Re: gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar in Emacs24?
       [not found]         ` <mailman.16239.1418770400.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2014-12-17  7:36           ` Loris Bennett
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Loris Bennett @ 2014-12-17  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> I use gnus-icalendar at work to avoid having to use Outlook, and I use
> the iCalendar format at home to get calendars from my computers to show
> up on an Android phone. No Apple involved.

What Android app are you using for that?  I've tried aCal and DAVdroid
to connect to a local owncloud instance, but to no avail.

@ 2014-12-17 11:41             ` Rasmus
       [not found]             ` <mailman.16286.1418816719.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Rasmus @ 2014-12-17 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:
>
>> I use gnus-icalendar at work to avoid having to use Outlook, and I use
>> the iCalendar format at home to get calendars from my computers to show
>> up on an Android phone. No Apple involved.
>
> What Android app are you using for that?  I've tried aCal and DAVdroid
> to connect to a local owncloud instance, but to no avail.

For what it's worth: I use DAVdroid to sync my phone with owncloud (I can
then use the normal calendar).  I use org-caldav to sync between owncloud
and my org-agenda.

—Rasmus

--
Enough with the bla bla!

@ 2014-12-17 11:50               ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2014-12-17 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
>> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:
>>
>>> I use gnus-icalendar at work to avoid having to use Outlook, and I use
>>> the iCalendar format at home to get calendars from my computers to show
>>> up on an Android phone. No Apple involved.
>>
>> What Android app are you using for that?  I've tried aCal and DAVdroid
>> to connect to a local owncloud instance, but to no avail.
>
> For what it's worth: I use DAVdroid to sync my phone with owncloud (I can
> then use the normal calendar).  I use org-caldav to sync between owncloud
> and my org-agenda.
>
> —Rasmus

Thanks for the info.  I'll have another go with DAVdroid.

@ 2014-12-17 13:26         ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]         ` <mailman.16288.1418822799.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-12-17 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Adam writes:

> It has been a while since I got it set up, but here is my configuration:
>
>     (require 'gnus-icalendar)

I forgot this line:

      (gnus-icalendar-setup)

here.

>     ;; to enable optional iCalendar->Org sync functionality

--
 "Dom 999 saker                                               Adam Sjøgren
  jag aldrig skulle göra                                 asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2014-12-17 13:47             ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-12-17 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Loris writes:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

> What Android app are you using for that?  I've tried aCal and DAVdroid
> to connect to a local owncloud instance, but to no avail.

I am using DAVdroid to connect the built in Android calendar to radiCALe
on my server.

I wrote a little bit about it, because some if it was non-trivial to set
up:

 * http://koldfront.dk/archive/2014/09/14-190318.html

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "We're not unreasonable, I mean, noone's going to eat        Adam Sjøgren
  your eyes"                                             asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2014-12-18 16:50   ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2014-12-18 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 15 Dec 2014, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> Loris writes:
>
>> Does anyone know the status of gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar?
>
> It is working well for me.

The past two days I've had a few occasions to put this to the test. When
someone using Lotus Notes sends me an invitation, gnus-icalendar is even
able to return accept responses. Yay!

For Outlook/Exchange based invitations, I can add the meeting requests,
but there is no [accept] thingie.

David, would you want to see some of the latter?

In any case, this is a very neat feature.

* Re: gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar in Emacs24?
@ 2014-12-19  0:50     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-12-19  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> The past two days I've had a few occasions to put
> this to the test. When someone using Lotus Notes
> sends me an invitation, gnus-icalendar is even able
> to return accept responses. Yay!
>
> For Outlook/Exchange based invitations, I can add
> the meeting requests, but there is no [accept]
> thingie.

I must confess that this invitation business is brand
new to Yours Truly. I used Outlook to send love
letters as a kid but perhaps what was lacking even
then was invitations. Can I send an invitation from
Gnus, and how is that any different from a plain mail
except for some repercussions in (I presume) the
icalendar GUI client?

--

@ 2014-12-19  8:04       ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2014-12-19  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 19 Dec 2014, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:
>
>> The past two days I've had a few occasions to put this to the
>> test. When someone using Lotus Notes sends me an invitation,
>> gnus-icalendar is even able to return accept responses. Yay!
>>
>> For Outlook/Exchange based invitations, I can add the meeting
>> requests, but there is no [accept] thingie.
>
> I must confess that this invitation business is brand new to Yours
> Truly. I used Outlook to send love letters as a kid but perhaps what
> was lacking even then was invitations. Can I send an invitation from
> Gnus, and how is that any different from a plain mail except for some
> repercussions in (I presume) the icalendar GUI client?

[accept] sends an automatically crafted email to the meeting host ( I
don't see it, it is a flash in the minibuffer). At the host the
information also automagically gets inserted in the meeting calender
entry. (x will attend, or x has confirmed... )

@ 2015-01-13 10:07           ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2015-01-13 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi!

gnus-icalendar.el makes managing incoming meeting requests a breeze.

How would I go about *creating* a invitation for a meeting?

thx

* Re: gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar in Emacs24?
@ 2015-01-21  7:53               ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2015-01-21  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sri, 2014-12-17 at 12:41 +0100, Rasmus wrote:

Hello Rasmus,

For some time I tried to use vim (due to wrist pain) & taskwarrior to manage
my tasks. Recently I migrated from Claws to Evolution, mostly for groupware
capabilities, iow. to be abl to sync my calendar & contacts with my phone
where I use DAVdroid.

This thread, afaict, speaks about gnuc-calendar which enables one to accept
invitation withing Gnuc, but that's not of much interest for me, atm...

> For what it's worth: I use DAVdroid to sync my phone with owncloud (I can
> then use the normal calendar).  I use org-caldav to sync between owncloud
> and my org-agenda.

However, considering that I'm moving back to Emacs/org-mode, I'd like to use
Gnus and it seems that I would be able to sync my org's calendar (agenda) with
my phone, but I wonder what to do about contacts?

I'm not much pleased with Evolution, but using it mostly for having ability to
have decent contact app which is synced with phones via ownCloud allowing to
get rid of using Google's services for that.

I know there was/is org-contacts, but not sure if it's still maintained and I
never embraced BBDB(3).

Any pointer which would enable me to use Gnus along with org-mode 'cause I
really like ability to create tasks based on email messages?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
When your intelligence has passed out of the dense forest
of delusion, you shall become indifferent to all that has

* Re: gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar in Emacs24?
@ 2015-01-21 21:07                 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-01-21 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:

>> For what it's worth: I use DAVdroid to sync my phone with owncloud (I can
>> then use the normal calendar).  I use org-caldav to sync between owncloud
>> and my org-agenda.
>
> However, considering that I'm moving back to Emacs/org-mode, I'd like to use
> Gnus and it seems that I would be able to sync my org's calendar (agenda) with
> my phone, but I wonder what to do about contacts?

There's AsynK, but I haven't managed to make it work.

> I'm not much pleased with Evolution, but using it mostly for having ability to
> have decent contact app which is synced with phones via ownCloud allowing to
> get rid of using Google's services for that.

If you use Gnome, Gnome Contacts supports owncloud contacts.

> I know there was/is org-contacts, but not sure if it's still maintained and I
> never embraced BBDB(3).

BBDB3 is nice.  You may be able to setup sync between BBDB and owncloud
using AsynK.

> Any pointer which would enable me to use Gnus along with org-mode 'cause I
> really like ability to create tasks based on email messages?

org-capture works out of the box with Gnus.

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
. . . The proofs are technical in nature and provides no real understanding

* Re: gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar in Emacs24?
@ 2015-01-22  7:21                   ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2015-01-22  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sri, 2015-01-21 at 22:07 +0100, Rasmus wrote:

> BBDB3 is nice.  You may be able to setup sync between BBDB and owncloud
> using AsynK.

It sounds good, but I wonder about this statement (from org group):"I found
AsynK screwed up my contacts." ?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Therefore, without being attached to the fruits of activities,
one should act as a matter of duty, for by working without

* Re: gnus-calendar / gnus-icalendar in Emacs24?
@ 2015-01-22 11:16                     ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2015-01-22 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:

> On Sri, 2015-01-21 at 22:07 +0100, Rasmus wrote:
>
>> BBDB3 is nice.  You may be able to setup sync between BBDB and owncloud
>> using AsynK.
>
> It sounds good, but I wonder about this statement (from org group):"I found
> AsynK screwed up my contacts." ?

ASynK does make backups on each sync, though you should probably make
your own backups as well (1000 bbdb contacts takes 0.5M so there's no
reason not to keep lots of backups).

I've used ASynK for maybe a year or more to sync my owncloud with bbdb3.
I use http://dmfs.org/carddav/ on my phone. There was a problem at one
point when both owncloud upgraded to 7 and ASynK had some change to its
db format I think, where I had to do a full clean re-sync to make it
work again, but mostly it's just been doing its thing without trouble.

I don't use very advanced contact field stuff though, just names, emails
and phone numbers, though you can setup rewrite rules for field names
http://karra-asynk.appspot.com/doc/asynk/asynk_5.html#Customization

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C

@ 2015-01-22 22:17                       ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-01-22 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:

> Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:
>
>> On Sri, 2015-01-21 at 22:07 +0100, Rasmus wrote:
>>
>>> BBDB3 is nice.  You may be able to setup sync between BBDB and owncloud
>>> using AsynK.
>>
>> It sounds good, but I wonder about this statement (from org group):"I found
>> AsynK screwed up my contacts." ?

[I think the quote is me.]

Now I remember: I use fields not supported by AsynK, and as I recall AsynK
"tampered" with unsupported fields (maybe by removing them?).  I see that
you have a link to further customization below, so I have clearly not done
my homework well enough.

Sorry about the imprecise statement!  And thanks for clarifying.  I should
give Asynk another look.

—Rasmus

> ASynK does make backups on each sync, though you should probably make
> your own backups as well (1000 bbdb contacts takes 0.5M so there's no
> reason not to keep lots of backups).
>
> I've used ASynK for maybe a year or more to sync my owncloud with bbdb3.
> I use http://dmfs.org/carddav/ on my phone. There was a problem at one
> point when both owncloud upgraded to 7 and ASynK had some change to its
> db format I think, where I had to do a full clean re-sync to make it
> work again, but mostly it's just been doing its thing without trouble.
>
> I don't use very advanced contact field stuff though, just names, emails
> and phone numbers, though you can setup rewrite rules for field names
> http://karra-asynk.appspot.com/doc/asynk/asynk_5.html#Customization

--
Hvor meget poesi tror De kommer ud af et glas isvand?