* Prevent "save to ~/.authinfo[Y/y/N/n]" prompt
@ 2014-09-29 20:38 Brady Trainor
From: Brady Trainor @ 2014-09-29 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi, something is wrong with my gpg use, so until I fix it, I will just
enter my password for each use. (I will likely start a new thread about
my gpg soon.)

But something I never really liked, is the prompt when doing so to save
this information in `~/.authinfo'.

Is there a way to prevent this prompt. I think it'd be nice for initial
setup of Gnus as well, as storing passwords (securely) may not be the
first thing you get around to, and one may get nervous about accidently
saving it in this plain text file.

--
Brady

* Re: Prevent "save to ~/.authinfo[Y/y/N/n]" prompt
@ 2014-09-30  0:59 ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-09-30  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brady Trainor; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:

> Hi, something is wrong with my gpg use, so until I fix it, I will just
> enter my password for each use. (I will likely start a new thread about
> my gpg soon.)
>
> But something I never really liked, is the prompt when doing so to save
> this information in `~/.authinfo'.
>
> Is there a way to prevent this prompt. I think it'd be nice for initial
> setup of Gnus as well, as storing passwords (securely) may not be the
> first thing you get around to, and one may get nervous about accidently
> saving it in this plain text file.

Hi Brady.

I have *never* seen this behaviour, so maybe it is some slight quirk at
your end which is causing it? Perhaps the way that something is
saved/configured in your gpg setup? But whatever is causing it, it is
definitely non-standard behaviour!

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.93.1

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Prevent "save to ~/.authinfo[Y/y/N/n]" prompt
@ 2014-09-30  2:25   ` Brady Trainor
From: Brady Trainor @ 2014-09-30  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:
>
>> Hi, something is wrong with my gpg use, so until I fix it, I will just
>> enter my password for each use. (I will likely start a new thread about
>> my gpg soon.)
>>
>> But something I never really liked, is the prompt when doing so to save
>> this information in `~/.authinfo'.
>>
>> Is there a way to prevent this prompt. I think it'd be nice for initial
>> setup of Gnus as well, as storing passwords (securely) may not be the
>> first thing you get around to, and one may get nervous about accidently
>> saving it in this plain text file.
>
> Hi Brady.
>
> I have *never* seen this behaviour, so maybe it is some slight quirk at
> your end which is causing it? Perhaps the way that something is
> saved/configured in your gpg setup? But whatever is causing it, it is
> definitely non-standard behaviour!
>
> Sharon.

I meant I was not using gpg for now. I believe if you comment out your
password, you should be able to reproduce the prompt.

I think I've solved it. From
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs/emacs-24/annotate/head:/lisp/gnus/auth-source.el,
I find

,----
| (let ((prompt (format "Save auth info to file %s? " file))
|       (done (not (eq auth-source-save-behavior 'ask)))
`----

Which inspires

,----
| (setq auth-source-save-behavior nil)
`----

which appears to be the best way.

Not sure if there was a better way to browse the lisp, I was
simultaneously downloading it when I found it with Ctrl+f in the
browser.

Also, can ensure it prompts for a gpg file instead of a plain text one,
with

,----
`----

--