* Technique for reading and answering to Usenet articles: how do you manage to update the group buffers without needing to restart Gnus?
@ 2010-04-27 19:39 Merciadri Luca
From: Merciadri Luca @ 2010-04-27 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

* Re: Technique for reading and answering to Usenet articles: how do you manage to update the group buffers without needing to restart Gnus?
  2010-04-27 19:39 Technique for reading and answering to Usenet articles: how do you manage to update the group buffers without needing to restart Gnus? Merciadri Luca
@ 2010-04-27 19:51 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2010-04-27 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 21:39:27 +0200, Merciadri wrote:

> Okay, I am not a professionnal of Gnus, but my current technique for
> reading and answering to Usenet articles is to post a message, close
> Gnus, and then restart it some hours after to see if there is anything
> new.

(Why do you close Gnus?)

Pressing 'g' in the *Group* buffer will check for news in all your
groups (runs gnus-group-get-new-news).

> How can I manageto make this process at least slightly automatic?

You can make Gnus automatically check for new news after being idle for
some time by using a daemon:

 * http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_302.html#SEC302

Manually pressing 'g' is usually easier, though.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "How did someone as misanthropic as me end up in this        Adam Sjøgren
  business anyway? What the hell am I doing here?"       asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2010-04-27 21:10   ` Merciadri Luca
From: Merciadri Luca @ 2010-04-27 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

@ 2010-04-28 10:26   ` Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2010-04-28 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 21:39:27 +0200, Merciadri wrote:
>
>> Okay, I am not a professionnal of Gnus, but my current technique for
>> reading and answering to Usenet articles is to post a message, close
>> Gnus, and then restart it some hours after to see if there is anything
>> new.
>
> (Why do you close Gnus?)
>
> Pressing 'g' in the *Group* buffer will check for news in all your
> groups (runs gnus-group-get-new-news).
>
>> How can I manageto make this process at least slightly automatic?
>
> You can make Gnus automatically check for new news after being idle for
> some time by using a daemon:
>
>  * http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_302.html#SEC302
>
> Manually pressing 'g' is usually easier, though.
>

>   Best regards,
>
>     Adam

Thanks. Although I scanned my lisp/gnus folder that ships with my emacs
installation and but found no 'gnus-demon-scan-pgp' (curiosity you
see). Documentation glitch?

@ 2010-04-30 19:58     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2010-04-30 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 13:26:24 +0300, Leonidas wrote:

> Thanks. Although I scanned my lisp/gnus folder that ships with my emacs
> installation and but found no 'gnus-demon-scan-pgp' (curiosity you
> see). Documentation glitch?

It is a little ambiguous in the manual, I think, whether it is a
fictional example or a real one. One of the last paragraphs mention the
ready-made functions that are available, which do not include a pgp one.

  Best regards,

    Adam