* Re: To Oort or not to Oort
       [not found] <pan.2002.10.14.14.53.38.830325.9405@hartford-hwp.com>
@ 2002-10-14 20:58 ` Adam P.
From: Adam P. @ 2002-10-14 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> writes:

> I've somehow broken gnus-5.9.0 (RH7.3) and one workaround might be to
> upgrade to ognus.
>
> There are dire warnings on the web site, and so I ask, does it generally
> work ok?

Yes.  Very OK :-)

> Further, I don't want to get into a mess with dependencies. Does the ognus
> require a lot that my gnus-5.9.0 lacks?

I don't remember having to install any additional components when I
switched from 5.9 to Oort...

> Finally, does anyone know if the gnus that comes with RedHat 8.0 is the
> ognus?

Once it's installed, you can check it e.g. by M-x gnus-version.  I
don't know about RedHat, but Debian is rather slow and conservative
when it comes to gnus versions.  But installing Oort oneself is a
piece of cake.

So the answer is _to Oort_ -- fear not the slings and arrows of
outrageous fortune.

   Adam

--
Name and address in X-Real...

@ 2002-10-14 18:58 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-10-14 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> writes:

> There are dire warnings on the web site, and so I ask, does it
> generally work ok?

Yes.

> Further, I don't want to get into a mess with dependencies. Does the ognus
> require a lot that my gnus-5.9.0 lacks?

It doesn't *require* it, but you might want to install the 'url' and
'w3' packages.

> The site offers both ognus.tar.gz and gnus-0.07.tar.gz. What is the
> difference?

I don't know.  Look at the date, and pick the newest one.

> Finally, does anyone know if the gnus that comes with RedHat 8.0 is
> the ognus?

It isn't.