From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: "jindam, vani" <jindam.vani@disroot.org>
Cc: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Re: delete downloaded marked emails after specific days & pop3 advice
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2022 16:30:19 -0800	[thread overview]

"jindam, vani" <jindam.vani@disroot.org> writes:

> after much trials, i found its impossible to run
> dovecot on debian 11 on userland (1). i have a
> copy of gnus manual (by lars magne, 1995-2015,
> no version). recently disvovered check paren
> for looking errors on .gnus
>
> i have few questions:
>
> (a) is it possible to download all emails on my
> local machine, i dont want to retain email copies
> on server

mbsync doesn't offer this: the only available setting is the Sync
directive in the config file, and that doesn't allow deleting messages
remotely but not locally. This sounds more like using pop3 as a
mail-source, with the :leave setting at `nil'.

> (b) do i have to specify all email directories
> on .gnus for downloading, ex: spam, draft

With "Patterns *" in your mbsync config, mbsync will sync all folders.
Gnus will make all those folders available through the nnmaildir
backend, though you can also subscribe/unsubscribe to them within Gnus, so you
can choose what you see.

> (c) how do i auto expunge all marked emails on
> .gnus or mbsync.rc after specific period

See the "Expiring Mail" section of the Gnus manual. With the settings
you've shown below, when Gnus eventually deletes a message that deletion
will get synced to the server, as well.

> (d) seriously, reconsidering to use getmail
> to fetch all emails through pop3, is it good
> idea. pop3 supports or recognises only one
> directory —inbox & does it mean it will include
> spam emails in inbox?

If you don't care about the state of the server, and would prefer to not
leave messages there, then yes I think using a pop3 mail-source might be
a better option than mbsync. You can still use nnmaildir locally, with
split rules that send incoming mail there.

I don't use this and I don't know if pop will pull messages from
multiple folders; the docs don't mention any relevant config.

Note that you've got this in your nnmaildir config:

(get-new-mail t)

That *only* comes into play if you're using mail sources. That means
that given the config below you don't need it: mbsync will add messages
to nnmaildir, which nnmaildir will detect automatically.