* Reply to attached message
@ 2021-07-20 21:10 Christoph Groth
From: Christoph Groth @ 2021-07-20 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

I wonder if there is a way in Gnus to reply to a message that has been
forwarded as a MIME attachment.

Any ideas?

Christoph

* Re: Reply to attached message
@ 2021-07-20 21:17 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-07-20 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Groth; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I wonder if there is a way in Gnus to reply to a message that has been
> forwarded as a MIME attachment.

How does the message appear in the Gnus message? What happens when you
hit "K v" (gnus-article-view-part) on it?

I guess it would make sense to display attached messages as "full" Gnus
messages, which would let you do all the usual message things with them.
But I don't know how easy it would be to identify those attachments.

* Re: Reply to attached message
@ 2021-07-20 21:31   ` Christoph Groth
From: Christoph Groth @ 2021-07-20 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> writes:

> > I wonder if there is a way in Gnus to reply to a message that has
> > been forwarded as a MIME attachment.
>
> How does the message appear in the Gnus message? What happens when you
> hit "K v" (gnus-article-view-part) on it?

It appears inline with colored headers, so Gnus does recognize it as
a message.  But I cannot find a convenient way to open the attached
message in a separate message buffer so that message commands would work
on it.

Here is one way that does work, but it is a bit clumsy:

(1) Save the attachment to a file.

(2) Create a group from that file (G f).

(3) Open that group and reply to the message.

* Re: Reply to attached message
@ 2021-07-20 21:51     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-07-20 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Groth; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> writes:
>
>> > I wonder if there is a way in Gnus to reply to a message that has
>> > been forwarded as a MIME attachment.
>>
>> How does the message appear in the Gnus message? What happens when you
>> hit "K v" (gnus-article-view-part) on it?
>
> It appears inline with colored headers, so Gnus does recognize it as
> a message.  But I cannot find a convenient way to open the attached
> message in a separate message buffer so that message commands would work
> on it.

Huh, so it inlines by default. What's the MIME type on the attachment?

Since people can already "K i" to explicitly inline, it seems like it
would make sense to have "K v" put the message in a separate buffer in
`gnus-article-mode'.

> Here is one way that does work, but it is a bit clumsy:
>
> (1) Save the attachment to a file.
>
> (2) Create a group from that file (G f).
>
> (3) Open that group and reply to the message.

Yes, that was going to be my original suggestion, but it's not a great
solution and I figured you'd already done that!

* Re: Reply to attached message
@ 2021-07-20 23:12 ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2021-07-20 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Jul 20, 2021, Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> wrote:

> I wonder if there is a way in Gnus to reply to a message that has been
> forwarded as a MIME attachment.

For some messages, you can hit `C-d' (gnus-summary-enter-digest-group)
and then select the correct sub-part in the new summary buffer that
appears.

Dan

* Re: Reply to attached message
@ 2021-07-22 21:33   ` Christoph Groth
From: Christoph Groth @ 2021-07-22 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Dan Christensen wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2021, Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> wrote:
>
> > I wonder if there is a way in Gnus to reply to a message that has
> > been forwarded as a MIME attachment.
>
> For some messages, you can hit `C-d' (gnus-summary-enter-digest-group)
> and then select the correct sub-part in the new summary buffer that
> appears.

That does work in my case.  Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Christoph