From: Garjola Dindi <garjola@garjola.net>
To: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Configuration example for mbsync + dovecot + Gnus
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 19:11:33 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon 25-Jan-2021 at 17:31:14 +01, Eric Abrahamsen
<eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
> Garjola Dindi <garjola@garjola.net> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to move from a nnmaildir + OfflineIMAP configuration to
>> something which:
>>
>> 1. scales better for large number of messages than nnmaildir and
>> 2. does not use OfflineIMAP (Python 2 based and sometimes slow).
>>
>> I understand that some Gnus users use a local IMAP server with dovecot
>> and the nnimap backend.
>>
>> I found these interesting instructions here:
>>
>> https://ericabrahamsen.net/tech/2014/oct/gnus-dovecot-lucene.html
>
> I'm still using this setup! You didn't say what was going wrong, but
> here's a sample config block for one of my IMAP accounts:

Thanks for your answer!

With respect to the 2014 post, for the mbsync part, I had to change

,----
| UseIMAPS no
| UseTLSV1 no
`----

to this

,----
| SSLType IMAPS
| SSLVersions TLSv1.2
`----

and also add the port as you have in the example you just gave.

And now I also see that for the local dovecot, you have

,----
| AuthMechs LOGIN
`----

which was not the case in the blog post. This may be why I was getting
an authentication failure.

I will try again with this updated configuration (my next scheduled
session to play with this is next week-end!).

Do you remember having also updated dovecot.conf or other things?

Thanks!