* Names & topics
@ 2020-05-11  8:05 Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2020-05-11  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

After much anguish I have succeeded in making an imap group for an email
address. (I'd forgotten how to do it!) The group has the convoluted name
'nnimap+imap.domain-name.com:INBOX'. How do I change it to
'nnimap+domain-name:INBOX'? I have tried edited the info using 'GE', but
my edits are not accepted.

Thanks.

Colin.

--
Colin Baxter

* Re: Names & topics
@ 2020-05-13  7:52 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2020-05-13  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

Hi Colin,

> After much anguish I have succeeded in making an imap group for an
> email address. (I'd forgotten how to do it!) The group has the
> convoluted name 'nnimap+imap.domain-name.com:INBOX'. How do I change
> it to 'nnimap+domain-name:INBOX'? I have tried edited the info using
> 'GE', but my edits are not accepted.

Define it like so:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
  '(nnimap "Fastmail" ;; The name.
           (nnimap-address "imap.fastmail.com")) ;; The actual server.

Then the groups will be named nnimap+Fastmail:*.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Names & topics
@ 2020-05-13  9:34   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2020-05-13  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Hello Tassilo,

Thank you for your response.

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes: Hi Colin,

    >> After much anguish I have succeeded in making an imap group for
    >> an email address. (I'd forgotten how to do it!) The group has the
    >> convoluted name 'nnimap+imap.domain-name.com:INBOX'. How do I
    >> change it to 'nnimap+domain-name:INBOX'? I have tried edited the
    >> info using 'GE', but my edits are not accepted.

    > Define it like so:

    > (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "Fastmail" ;;
    > The name.  (nnimap-address "imap.fastmail.com")) ;; The actual
    > server.

    > Then the groups will be named nnimap+Fastmail:*.

Yes, I had done that originally. Your email, however, prompted me to
look again at my configuration. Entering ^ in the Group buffer, I
discovered two servers with slightly different names but pointing to the
same imap address. I had inadvertently created a second server. I
removed the unwanted server and all is now well. I am going to blame my
email provider (not yandex) for appearing to allow latitude in acceptable imap
addresses:-)

Thank you again.

Best wishes,

Colin.