* [OT] about gmane
@ 2014-04-19 23:47 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2014-04-19 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sorry to bring this here, but I cannot get a connection to gmane and
got here through my regular nntp server (enews.newsguy.com).

I'm unable to connect to news.gmane.org, and am getting prompted for a
username.  Can anyone verify that gmane is up?

Last time that happened it was because my ISP had been blackballed off
gmane, but I checked at http://gmane.org/denied.php and did not see
my outward facing IP there.

Any other reasons why I might suddenly be getting a username prompt
with gnus trys to connect to gmane?

* Re: [OT] about gmane
@ 2014-04-20  0:56 ` W. Greenhouse
From: W. Greenhouse @ 2014-04-20  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english-mXXj517/zsQ

Harry Putnam <reader-kFrNdAxtuftBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Sorry to bring this here, but I cannot get a connection to gmane and
> got here through my regular nntp server (enews.newsguy.com).
>
> I'm unable to connect to news.gmane.org, and am getting prompted for a
> username.  Can anyone verify that gmane is up?

It's working fine for me.

> Last time that happened it was because my ISP had been blackballed off
> gmane, but I checked at http://gmane.org/denied.php and did not see
> my outward facing IP there.
>
> Any other reasons why I might suddenly be getting a username prompt
> with gnus trys to connect to gmane?

Blacklist is the only reason I've ever seen this happen. I'd suggest
using the web interface to report it to gmane.discuss.

--
Best,
WGG

Reply to list only, please.
Off-list replies will be filtered and deleted.

* Re: [OT] about gmane
@ 2014-04-21 22:34   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2014-04-21 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

W. Greenhouse <wgreenhouse@riseup.net>
writes:

>> Sorry to bring this here, but I cannot get a connection to gmane and
>> got here through my regular nntp server (enews.newsguy.com).
>>
>> I'm unable to connect to news.gmane.org, and am getting prompted for a
>> username.  Can anyone verify that gmane is up?
>
> It's working fine for me.
>
>> Last time that happened it was because my ISP had been blackballed off
>> gmane, but I checked at http://gmane.org/denied.php and did not see
>> my outward facing IP there.
>>
>> Any other reasons why I might suddenly be getting a username prompt
>> with gnus trys to connect to gmane?
>
> Blacklist is the only reason I've ever seen this happen. I'd suggest
> using the web interface to report it to gmane.discuss.

Even though I said I had checked there...(http://gmane.org/denied.php)
somehow I still missed seeing it:
   z65-xx-xx-xx.ips.xxxxxxx.com (20140419)

I noticed (and reported) it the same day you answered my post so I had
hopes of getting is squared away to day... but no soap so far and no