* Confusion about headers I can score on
@ 2012-09-27  6:49 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-09-27  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused about the meaning and effects of what header I chose
to score on with `I' and `L'.  Basically, I almost always want to say:
score (up/down) the article at point and all followups (also future
followups) recursively, i.e., the (sub)thread whose root is the article
at point.

Guessing by the name, I've thought `I t ...' and `I T', that is, score
on thread, is what I want.  But it isn't.  When I do `I T' on some
article, exit and reenter the summary, it's score is only adapted by my
adaptive scoring rules, so its score changes +/-5, but not +/-1000 as
said by `gnus-score-interactive-default-score'.

So how do I do what I want?

And another thing.  Does scoring on followups have a different semantics
with interactive and adaptive scoring?  At least the docs say so:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Summary Score Commands") ]
|     `f'
|           Score on followups--this matches the author name, and adds
|           scores to the followups to this author.  (Using this key
|           leads to the creation of `ADAPT' files.)
`----

Whereas:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Adaptive Scoring") ]
|    The headers you can score on are `from', `subject', `message-id',
| `references', `xref', `lines', `chars' and `date'.  In addition, you
| can score on `followup', which will create an adaptive score entry that
| matches on the `References' header using the `Message-ID' of the
| current article, thereby matching the following thread.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Confusion about headers I can score on
       [not found] <mailman.9831.1348728575.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2012-12-24 16:00 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-12-24 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> I'm a bit confused about the meaning and effects of what header I chose
> to score on with `I' and `L'.  Basically, I almost always want to say:
> score (up/down) the article at point and all followups (also future
> followups) recursively, i.e., the (sub)thread whose root is the article
> at point.

That would be `I f' (followups).

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen