* getting a photo out of an email?
@ 2010-02-16 16:05 Nigel Beck
From: Nigel Beck @ 2010-02-16 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Seemingly I can do complex stuff but not simple things....

I get an email. It has a photo in it.  The photo shows up as [cid],
which I can do various things to expand and make appear in-line.

How do I actually save the photo?  "e" for extract is for mimes, right
click does nothing, etc.
--
Nigel Beck
http://www.nigelbeck.com

* Re: getting a photo out of an email?
@ 2010-02-16 16:29 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2010-02-16 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

,----[ (info "(gnus)MIME Commands") ]
| The following commands all understand the numerical prefix.  For
| instance, `3 K v' means "view the third MIME part".
|
| `b'
| `K v'
|      View the MIME part.
|
| `K o'
|      Save the MIME part.
|
| `K O'
|      Prompt for a file name, then save the MIME part and strip it from
|      the article.  The stripped MIME object will be referred via the
|      message/external-body MIME type.
`----

In the menu, see Article -> Mime -> Multipart

Does that help?

* Re: getting a photo out of an email?
@ 2010-02-16 23:59   ` Nigel Beck
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Nigel Beck @ 2010-02-16 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I wound up doing "X m" - "extract all parts" - which then said "image/*"
as the default part description, and it dumped them all into a directory
of my choice.

K v etc didn't do the trick right away at least.  Perhaps as gnus had
inlined the photos?

--
Nigel Beck
http://www.nigelbeck.com

* Re: getting a photo out of an email?
@ 2010-02-17  9:31     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-02-17  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Nigel Beck <me@nigelbeck.com> writes:

Hi Nigel,

> K v etc didn't do the trick right away at least.  Perhaps as gnus had
> inlined the photos?

Maybe.  Yeu could try to show the MIME buttons (`K b') and then hit `K
o' on the button for the image.  Does that work?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: getting a photo out of an email?
@ 2010-02-19  0:10     ` Tim Landscheidt
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2010-02-19  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Nigel Beck <me@nigelbeck.com> wrote:

> I wound up doing "X m" - "extract all parts" - which then said "image/*"
> as the default part description, and it dumped them all into a directory
> of my choice.

> K v etc didn't do the trick right away at least.  Perhaps as gnus had
> inlined the photos?

On a related topic: I receive quoted-printable encoded HTML
mails (no multipart, i. e. "Content-Type: text/html;
charset=ISO-8859-1" and "Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable") from Google Alerts. How do I extract a
bunch of them to individual files in a target directory? In
principle, X m works for me, but requires manual confirma-
tion for every mail if used with M-&. What is the proper way
to handle MIME mails in elisp? gnus-summary-save-parts and
gnus-article-save-part look, ahem, very focused on user in-
teraction.

Tim

* Re: getting a photo out of an email?
@ 2010-02-20 14:23       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2010-02-20 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Fri, Feb 19 2010, Tim Landscheidt wrote:

> How do I extract a bunch of them to individual files in a target
> directory? In principle, X m works for me, but requires manual
> confirma- tion for every mail if used with M-&. What is the proper
> way to handle MIME mails in elisp? gnus-summary-save-parts and
> gnus-article-save-part look, ahem, very focused on user in-
> teraction.

Does `gnus-prompt-before-saving' help?

,----[ (info "(gnus)Saving Articles") ]
|    All these commands use the process/prefix convention (*note
| Process/Prefix::).  If you save bunches of articles using these
| functions, you might get tired of being prompted for files to save each
| and every article in.  The prompting action is controlled by the
| `gnus-prompt-before-saving' variable, which is `always' by default,
| giving you that excessive prompting action you know and loathe.  If you
| set this variable to `t' instead, you'll be prompted just once for each
| series of articles you save.  If you like to really have Gnus do all
| your thinking for you, you can even set this variable to `nil', which
| means that you will never be prompted for files to save articles in.
| Gnus will simply save all the articles in the default files.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: getting a photo out of an email?
@ 2010-02-20 14:27     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2010-02-20 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, Feb 17 2010, Nigel Beck wrote:

> K v etc didn't do the trick right away at least.  Perhaps as gnus had
> inlined the photos?

Maybe `K b' or `C-u K b' helps:

,----[ <f1> f gnus-summary-display-buttonized RET ]
| gnus-summary-display-buttonized [...] Lisp function in `gnus-sum.el'.
| (gnus-summary-display-buttonized &optional SHOW-ALL-PARTS)
|
| Display the current article buffer fully MIME-buttonized.
| If SHOW-ALL-PARTS (the prefix) is non-nil, all multipart/* parts are
| treated as multipart/mixed.
`----

`gnus-mime-display-multipart-related-as-mixed' ...

,----[ (info "(gnus)MIME Commands") ]
| `gnus-mime-display-multipart-related-as-mixed'
|      Display "multipart/related" parts as "multipart/mixed".
|
|      If displaying `text/html' is discouraged, see
|      `mm-discouraged-alternatives', images or other material inside a
|      "multipart/related" part might be overlooked when this variable is
|      `nil'.  *note Display Customization: (emacs-mime)Display
|      Customization.
`----

... and `C-d':

,----[ <f1> f gnus-summary-enter-digest-group RET ]
| gnus-summary-enter-digest-group [...] Lisp function in `gnus-sum.el'.
| (gnus-summary-enter-digest-group &optional FORCE)
|
| Enter an nndoc group based on the current article.
| If FORCE, force a digest interpretation.  If not, try
| to guess what the document format is.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: getting a photo out of an email?
@ 2010-02-23 16:23         ` Tim Landscheidt
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2010-02-23 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

>> How do I extract a bunch of them to individual files in a target
>> directory? In principle, X m works for me, but requires manual
>> confirma- tion for every mail if used with M-&. What is the proper
>> way to handle MIME mails in elisp? gnus-summary-save-parts and
>> gnus-article-save-part look, ahem, very focused on user in-
>> teraction.

> Does `gnus-prompt-before-saving' help?
> [...]

Yes in the way that I didn't know about it before :-).

  No as X m (without M-&!) shows a similar behaviour even
with gnus-prompt-before-saving set to 'always.

  Big no as for example X m only allows a directory to spec-
ify and fills it with filenames of its own liking. But sup-
pose I'd like to take the image/jpeg or nth part to /dir1 as
nr.jpg and the image/html or mth part to /dir2 as
(nr^2).html and the application/pdf part to pipe to cmd3 -
well, basically I'd like to be able to do mail processing
without having to resort to Perl.

Tim