* Articles marked as old without having seen them
@ 2007-12-22 10:45 Torsten Bronger
From: Torsten Bronger @ 2007-12-22 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hallöchen!

A couple of weeks ago, I changed my OS and took the chance to update
my CVS version of Emacs/Gnus, too.  Since then, I observe the
following:

Some Usenet articles are marked as old ("O" in the very first
column) although I've never seen them.  Accordingly, there is a dot
in the second column.

This can be reproduced very well, although I haven't yet found out
the pattern of it.  They are not crossposts.  I've never used score
lists.  The probability increases with increasing time of
inactivity: For example, every morning of after having returned from
work I see some articles (almost) lost by this.  When I check for
new articles regularly, however, I seem to be save.

I get my news with a leafnode/fetchnews cron job.  The Gnus agent is
switched off.

Has anybody an idea about the cause of this trouble?

Tschö,
Torsten.

                                      Jabber ID: bronger@jabber.org
                      (See http://ime.webhop.org for ICQ, MSN, etc.)

* Re: Articles marked as old without having seen them
@ 2007-12-25 13:38 ` Torsten Bronger
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5397.1198671946.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Torsten Bronger @ 2007-12-25 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hallöchen!

Torsten Bronger writes:

> [...]  Since then, I observe the following:
>
> Some Usenet articles are marked as old ("O" in the very first
> column) although I've never seen them.  Accordingly, there is a
> dot in the second column.

I looked at this problem further and found out that the .marks file
contains a ridiculously high number as the upper limit of read
articles.  Couriously enough, the .newsrc is correct.  I resetted
the .marks file, marked all articles as read in Gnus manually, so
that everything seems to be consistent now.  The high numbers my be
remains from the old news spool indices before I changed the OS.

It would be still nice, however, if someone could confirm that
inconsistent .marks and .newsrc files can lead to some articles
wrongly marks as read while others are marked properly.

@ 2007-12-26 12:25   ` Bastien
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5397.1198671946.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Bastien @ 2007-12-26 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: Torsten Bronger

Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> It would be still nice, however, if someone could confirm that
> inconsistent .marks and .newsrc files can lead to some articles
> wrongly marks as read while others are marked properly.

I confirm that I've had some similar trouble before, with my nnml box.
So now I use this:

(setq nnml-marks-is-evil t)
(setq nntp-marks-is-evil t)

And Gnus doesn't do any evil anymore :)

--
Bastien

@ 2007-12-26 12:46     ` Torsten Bronger
From: Torsten Bronger @ 2007-12-26 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hallöchen!

Bastien writes:

> Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
>
>> It would be still nice, however, if someone could confirm that
>> inconsistent .marks and .newsrc files can lead to some articles
>> wrongly marks as read while others are marked properly.
>
> I confirm that I've had some similar trouble before, with my nnml
> box.  So now I use this:
>
> (setq nnml-marks-is-evil t)
> (setq nntp-marks-is-evil t)

Thank you!  The latter and the corresponding part of Gnus'
documentation was very helpful.

               (See http://ime.webhop.org for further contact info.)