* Re: skipping to new article without reading it
       [not found] <mailman.466.1162310120.27805.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-10-31 16:34 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2006-10-31 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shanks N <shanks.n@gmail.com> writes:

> In nognus 0.04, in a Summary buffer, pressing n goes to the next
> unread article and opens it.  Is there a way to just go the next
> unread article without connecting to the server to read it?

Have you tried 'C-h b C-s unread' from the summary buffer?  That will
list out all of the available key commands.  Also 'M-x apropos
gnus.*unread' might be informative.  It looks like M-n is what you're
after.

  --dzm

* Re: skipping to new article without reading it
@ 2006-10-31 18:07   ` Shanks N
From: Shanks N @ 2006-10-31 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Z Maze <dmaze@mit.edu> writes:

> Shanks N <shanks.n@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In nognus 0.04, in a Summary buffer, pressing n goes to the next
>> unread article and opens it.  Is there a way to just go the next
>> unread article without connecting to the server to read it?
>
> Have you tried 'C-h b C-s unread' from the summary buffer?  That will
> list out all of the available key commands.  Also 'M-x apropos
> gnus.*unread' might be informative.  It looks like M-n is what you're
> after.
>
>   --dzm

Thank you, that works.  I shall look up the info you suggested too.

regards,
Shanks

@ 2006-11-01  9:12 ` Malte Spiess
From: Malte Spiess @ 2006-11-01  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shanks N <shanks.n@gmail.com> writes:

> In nognus 0.04, in a Summary buffer, pressing n goes to the next
> unread article and opens it.  Is there a way to just go the next
> unread article without connecting to the server to read it?

You may consider trying "d" (here d runs the command
gnus-summary-mark-as-read-forward). This also marks the article as read,
but this is mostly what I want.

Greetings

Malte

* skipping to new article without reading it
@ 2006-10-31 15:47 Shanks N
From: Shanks N @ 2006-10-31 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In nognus 0.04, in a Summary buffer, pressing n goes to the next
unread article and opens it.  Is there a way to just go the next
unread article without connecting to the server to read it?

I use my laptop in office and at home.  In office, nntp  is blocked.
I use fetchmail to get mail to a local spool and read it in gnus.  Is
there a way to selectively read the local spool without connecting to
the nntp server?   If gnus can figure out whether it's in office or at
home, even better! :)

Right now I use gnus-no-server or hit C-g like mad if I forgetfully M-x
gnus in office.

regards,
Shanks