* strange copies of mail
@ 2005-08-08 13:48 Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2005-08-08 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

I just discovered gnus is dumping copies of my mail-messages in my
~/Mail folder. These messages are called Incomin6767Bg4du and similar,
and is a copy of message (for example) ~/Mail/certain_folder/664

The other interesting bit:

-rw------- gijs gijs  ~/Mail/certain_folder/664
-rw-------  1 gijs mail  Incoming6797ON

so the group is different. This could be something fetchmail started
doing as of yesterday (date of first Incoming###-message)....

It seems I can safely delete the Incoming### messages. But I wonder
what happened.. Does anybody recognize this new gnus- (or fetchmail-)
behaviour?

Thanks

Gijs

--
Scientists are people who build the Brooklyn Bridge and then buy it.
		-- William Buckley

* Re: strange copies of mail
@ 2005-08-08 14:26 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-08-08 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 15:48:44 +0200, Gijs wrote:

> It seems I can safely delete the Incoming### messages. But I wonder
> what happened.. Does anybody recognize this new gnus- (or fetchmail-)
> behaviour?

Check what the value of the variable mail-source-delete-incoming is:

,----[ C-h v mail-source-delete-incoming RET ]
| `mail-source-delete-incoming' is a variable declared in Lisp.
|   -- loaded from "mail-source"
|
| Value: t
|
| Documentation:
| *If non-nil, delete incoming files after handling.
| If t, delete immediately, if nil, never delete.  If a positive number, delete
| files older than number of days.
`----

  Best regards,

--
 "Your problem is you've got no common sense."                Adam Sjøgren
 "I've got PLENTY of common sense!                       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: strange copies of mail
@ 2005-08-08 15:34 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2005-08-08 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> I just discovered gnus is dumping copies of my mail-messages in my
> ~/Mail folder. These messages are called Incomin6767Bg4du and
> similar,

I think these days that behavior is controlled by
`mail-source-delete-incoming', and in CVS/alpha builds of Gnus, that
variable gets defaulted to nil (in beta and release versions ['5.x']
it defaults to t).  If something breaks in the mail-splitting code,
it's intended to give you a safety net so that you can recover mail
from an earlier stage in the process.

> It seems I can safely delete the Incoming### messages. But I wonder
> what happened.. Does anybody recognize this new gnus- (or fetchmail-)
> behaviour?

If they are in fact being produced by Gnus, it's safe to just blow
them away.  Did you recently change versions of Gnus somehow, possibly
from a 5.10 version or one included with your Emacs?

  --dzm

* Re: strange copies of mail
@ 2005-08-08 19:45   ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2005-08-08 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

     > Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:
    >> I just discovered gnus is dumping copies of my mail-messages in
    >> my ~/Mail folder. These messages are called Incomin6767Bg4du
    >> and similar,

     > I think these days that behavior is controlled by
     > `mail-source-delete-incoming', and in CVS/alpha builds of Gnus,
     > that variable gets defaulted to nil (in beta and release
     > versions ['5.x'] it defaults to t).  If something breaks in the

Ah! I have it set to nil here. That must be it, I guess. (I think)
on this Debian box it got upgraded just this weekend.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll set mail-source-delete-incoming to 3, for
the heck of it.

Gijs

--
God gives us relatives; thank goodness we can chose our friends.