From: Roland Winkler <winkler@gnu.org>
To: Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de>
Cc: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Highlight process-marked files in Gnus summary?
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 21:26:36 -0500	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jul 26 2021, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Roland Winkler <winkler@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I found this old thread.  Could it make sense to have a minor mode
>> that puts the `invisible' text property on all lines without
>> process-mark?
>
> I played with limiting since then (a concept that is a bit more advanced
> than making lines invisible and already exists).
>
> AFAIK there is no command that lets you limit to process marked
> articles, but it should be trivial to write using `gnus-summary-limit'
> (limits to a given article list).

Yes, thank you, limiting goes very much in the direction I want.
-- I like the two-step process of first marking the messages I want, and
only afterwards limiting the summary buffer because I can check whether
I have identified all messages I wanted to identify before the unmarked
messages become invisible.

Hopefully, it will be not too difficult to teach Gnus to limit the
Summary buffer based on the process-mark.

> You might also want to test something like
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (defun my-gnus-limit-to-current-thread ()

Thanks! - If gnus can identify a thread correctly, the problem is pretty
much solved anyway.  I am concerned about the annoying cases where the
discussion of a topic spreads out into multiple threads because someone
continued the discussion with a new message using a different subject
header and ignoring the references headers used previously.  Typically,
this takes me multiple iterations of hand-crafted search criteria to
identify all messages that have contributed to the discussion of a
topic.

It just came to my mind: does Gnus allow one to add a custom header like
a "topic ID" that could help me two months later when I need to revisit
the discussion of a topic that was distributed over multiple apparently
unrelated threads?

There are all kinds of Gnus commands for article washing and
manipulating article headers.  Yet I have not identified anything that
could be (mis-) used for such a purpose.