* Setting up a nnmbox server
@ 2010-05-28 12:29 Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2010-05-28 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

I have a ~/mbox file sitting in my hard disk. If I go to the *Server*
buffer, press `a' to create a new nnmbox server and then I open it with
`O', no group is shown. The generated lisp shown when editing the server
with `e' is:

(nnmbox "mbox_server")

How can I open the messages inside the file?

Thanks,

--
Alberto

* Re: Setting up a nnmbox server
@ 2010-05-29 14:53 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2010-05-29 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have a ~/mbox file sitting in my hard disk. If I go to the *Server*
> buffer, press `a' to create a new nnmbox server and then I open it with
> `O', no group is shown. The generated lisp shown when editing the server
> with `e' is:
>
> (nnmbox "mbox_server")
>
> How can I open the messages inside the file?

The easiest way is to create a temporary nndoc group with
G-f in group buffer.  (Or for an ephemeral version use `G F'
<uppercase>

You will be prompted for a filename, where you input the full name of
mbox file like ~/mbox

Only if you really need a permanent folder... you would create a new
server.  Read the manual on that subject C-h i m gnus <RET> and scroll
quite a ways down to Server Buffer

Under the bigger heading:
SERVER BUFFER
[...]
 * Creating a Virtual Server::   An example session.

Or just click on this if you are reading with gnus.

  (info "(gnus)Creating a Virtual Server")

You will notice you are lacking parts of the specification necessary.

Once you've read that, and tried again... post back if you still need
that server and need and help.

* Re: Setting up a nnmbox server
@ 2010-05-31 14:01   ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2010-05-31 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Harry Putnam writes:

> Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a ~/mbox file sitting in my hard disk. If I go to the *Server*
>> buffer, press `a' to create a new nnmbox server and then I open it with
>> `O', no group is shown. The generated lisp shown when editing the server
>> with `e' is:
>>
>> (nnmbox "mbox_server")
>>
>> How can I open the messages inside the file?
>>

> The easiest way is to create a temporary nndoc group with
> G-f in group buffer.  (Or for an ephemeral version use `G F'
> <uppercase>
>
> You will be prompted for a filename, where you input the full name of
> mbox file like ~/mbox
>
> Only if you really need a permanent folder... you would create a new
> server.  Read the manual on that subject C-h i m gnus <RET> and scroll
> quite a ways down to Server Buffer
>
> Under the bigger heading:
> SERVER BUFFER
> [...]
>  * Creating a Virtual Server::   An example session.
>

> Or just click on this if you are reading with gnus.
>
>   (info "(gnus)Creating a Virtual Server")
>
> You will notice you are lacking parts of the specification necessary.
>
> Once you've read that, and tried again... post back if you still need
> that server and need and help.

Thank you, Harry. It seems I got confused with the name
"nnmbox". Following your instructions (G-f) and creating a nndoc server
that point to my system mail (/var/mail/${USER}) works fine. In
addition, I restarted gnus and the group was still there, so maybe this
is enough for me.

--

@ 2010-06-02 13:42     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2010-06-02 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

> Thank you, Harry. It seems I got confused with the name
> "nnmbox". Following your instructions (G-f) and creating a nndoc server
> that point to my system mail (/var/mail/${USER}) works fine. In
> addition, I restarted gnus and the group was still there, so maybe this
> is enough for me.

It wasn't clear in your original post the the mbox file you were after
was actually your system mail box.  In that case, most of us who read
our mail regularly with gnus would have gnus slurp that mail regularly
and present it with gnus, in what ever backend we prefer...

Getting gnus to slurp your system mail box requires something like
this:

(setq mail-sources
           '((file :path "/var/spool/mail/reader")))

But once gnus slurps it, the system mailbox is then empty... not like
using G-f (nndoc).  And the messages are stored under ~/News in format
of your choosing.

You'll need to study gnus manual a bit more to understand how to make
gnus present you mail in a way you like.

I've used the nnml backend for yrs... others prefer nnmaildir, or etc.

There are several more to choose from, but nnml is one of the most
versatile.  Any of them can be found in the gnus manual.

* Re: Setting up a nnmbox server
@ 2010-06-04  8:04       ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2010-06-04  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Harry Putnam writes:

> Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:
>
>> Thank you, Harry. It seems I got confused with the name
>> "nnmbox". Following your instructions (G-f) and creating a nndoc server
>> that point to my system mail (/var/mail/${USER}) works fine. In
>> addition, I restarted gnus and the group was still there, so maybe this
>> is enough for me.
>
> It wasn't clear in your original post the the mbox file you were after
> was actually your system mail box.  In that case, most of us who read
> our mail regularly with gnus would have gnus slurp that mail regularly
> and present it with gnus, in what ever backend we prefer...

My fault. I was not aware that system mail followed that convention of
the users emptying their mailboxes when reading them.

> Getting gnus to slurp your system mail box requires something like
> this:
>
> (setq mail-sources
>            '((file :path "/var/spool/mail/reader")))
>
> But once gnus slurps it, the system mailbox is then empty... not like
> using G-f (nndoc).  And the messages are stored under ~/News in format
> of your choosing.
>
> You'll need to study gnus manual a bit more to understand how to make
> gnus present you mail in a way you like.
>
> I've used the nnml backend for yrs... others prefer nnmaildir, or etc.
>
> There are several more to choose from, but nnml is one of the most
> versatile.  Any of them can be found in the gnus manual.

Thanks again! Indeed, the manual is so comprehensive that I find new
things every time I read it with a new pointer.

--
Alberto