* general question about groups
@ 2010-03-07 17:54 .Martin.
From: .Martin. @ 2010-03-07 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I'm getting more and more familiar with gnus. The thing is that
regardless of a newsgroup reader, I'm still very new to newsgroups in general.
The more I read into gnus tutorials the more I come across concepts
like: group level, scoring, marking, ranking.
I'm probably missing something here, but what's their practical usage?
Do you score/rank/mark/set level to groups? If so, how does it help you
later?

thank you in advance

--
regards

.Martin.

* Re: general question about groups
@ 2010-03-07 18:15 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2010-03-07 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 17:54:17 +0000, .Martin. wrote:

> The more I read into gnus tutorials the more I come across concepts
> like: group level, scoring, marking, ranking.
> I'm probably missing something here, but what's their practical usage?

I don't mean to sound rude, but did you look those concepts up in the
manual?

 Group levels:     http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_24.html#SEC24
 Scoring:          http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_262.html#SEC262
 Marking groups:   http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_26.html#SEC26
 Marking articles: http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_76.html#SEC76

(Can't find ranking though, where did you see that?)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "[...] trees are so high on carbon dioxide all the           Adam Sjøgren
  time nowadays that you can barely understand a word    asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: general question about groups
@ 2010-03-07 18:28   ` .Martin.
From: .Martin. @ 2010-03-07 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 17:54:17 +0000, .Martin. wrote:
>
>> The more I read into gnus tutorials the more I come across concepts
>> like: group level, scoring, marking, ranking.
>> I'm probably missing something here, but what's their practical usage?
>
> I don't mean to sound rude, but did you look those concepts up in the
> manual?
>
>  Group levels:     http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_24.html#SEC24
>  Scoring:          http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_262.html#SEC262
>  Marking groups:   http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_26.html#SEC26
>  Marking articles: http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_76.html#SEC76
>
> (Can't find ranking though, where did you see that?)
>

>   Best regards,
>
>     Adam

I admit I haven't read that part of the manual yet:)
When it comes to ranks, I think I saw it in emacs menu 'sort by rank'.
Do you use any of them yourself?
thanks
--
regards