* How can I check my @gmail.com email with gnus
@ 2010-03-06 13:11 .Martin.
From: .Martin. @ 2010-03-06 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I seem to get a vague idea how to use gnus for newsgroups. It still
feels VERY clumsy, slow and not the way I like it, but I guess it's the
question of configuring it properly and learning key shortcuts.

I know how to send an email from my gmail account. The problem is how
I can check for new emails. In other words, how would I display my gmail 'inbox'?

This is part of my .emacs:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.virginmedia.com"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-method '(nnimap "gmail"
                                            (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                                            (nnimap-server-port 993)
                                            (nnimap-stream ssl)))

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
      smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "myemail@gmail.com" nil))
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587

and my .gnus

(setq gnus-posting-styles
        '((".*"
;;              (address "email@gomain.com")
        (organization "abc")
        (signature-file "~/.gnus-sig")
        ))
)

;; my mail headers - if not using posting styles
(setq user-full-name ".Martin.")
(setq user-mail-address "myemail@gmail.com")

(setq   gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil
        gnus-read-active-file nil
        gnus-nov-is-evil nil)

;; don't ask how many email to dowload
(setq gnus-large-newsgroup 'nil)

Thank you
--
regards

.Martin.

* Re: How can I check my @gmail.com email with gnus
@ 2010-03-06 14:25 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2010-03-06 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 13:11:44 +0000, .Martin. wrote:

> I seem to get a vague idea how to use gnus for newsgroups. It still
> feels VERY clumsy, slow and not the way I like it, but I guess it's the
> question of configuring it properly and learning key shortcuts.

Did you find the ^ key in the *Group* buffer yet? It takes you to the
*Server* buffer, where you can browse the servers you have configured,
and subscribe/unsubscribe easily.

> I know how to send an email from my gmail account. The problem is how
> I can check for new emails. In other words, how would I display my
> gmail 'inbox'?

I think people usually refer to http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail
for tips on how to do this.

Maybe you could describe what happens when you try (and what you do)?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Money always takes the place of life"                       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: How can I check my @gmail.com email with gnus
@ 2010-03-06 16:35   ` .Martin.
From: .Martin. @ 2010-03-06 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 13:11:44 +0000, .Martin. wrote:
>
>> I seem to get a vague idea how to use gnus for newsgroups. It still
>> feels VERY clumsy, slow and not the way I like it, but I guess it's the
>> question of configuring it properly and learning key shortcuts.
>
> Did you find the ^ key in the *Group* buffer yet? It takes you to the
> *Server* buffer, where you can browse the servers you have configured,
> and subscribe/unsubscribe easily.

Thanks, it's good. I don't subscribe to many groups so I actually know
the names of them. I'll be very handy if I want to find some new group, though.

>> I know how to send an email from my gmail account. The problem is how
>> I can check for new emails. In other words, how would I display my
>> gmail 'inbox'?
>
> I think people usually refer to http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail
> for tips on how to do this.
>
> Maybe you could describe what happens when you try (and what you do)?

Thank you for your reply. I've made up my mind and decided that I'm just
going to use gnus for newsgroups for the time being.

--
regards

.Martin.