* Re: Immediate deletion of mail
       [not found] <mailman.7983.1204060655.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2008-02-26 21:21 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2008-02-26 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 23:17:19 +0200, Sebastian wrote:

> How to immediately delete mail in a particular group?

B DEL runs `gnus-summary-delete-article', perhaps?

  Best regards,

--
 "Achtung, babies!"                                           Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Immediate deletion of mail
@ 2008-02-28  7:53       ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2008-02-28  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Quoth Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>:
> IIRC, expiry only happens on group exit.  Maybe you need to simulate
> entering and quitting the group:
>
> (defun rs-gnus-enter-and-quit-group ()
>   (interactive)
>   (gnus-group-quick-select-group 0 "nnml:blackhole")
>   (gnus-summary-exit))

Thanks Reiner.  This looks like just what I needed. I can add this to
gnus-exit-gnus-hook and that should be that.

>> I just want mail split to 'blackhole' to disappear.
>
> How about using `junk' in `nnmail-split-fancy'?
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Fancy Mail Splitting") ]
> | `junk'
> |      If the split is the symbol `junk', then don't save (i.e., delete)
> |      this message.  Use with extreme caution.
> `----

Hmm.  Interesting.  Will investigate.

Thanks again.

Sebastian

* Re: Immediate deletion of mail
@ 2008-02-27 23:09     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-02-27 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, Feb 27 2008, Sebastian Tennant wrote:

> I should have added "without ever having to visit that group."  I want
> the group to act like /dev/null essentially.
[...]

,----[ (info "(gnus)Selecting a Group") ]
`----

> I just want mail split to 'blackhole' to disappear.

How about using `junk' in `nnmail-split-fancy'?

,----[ (info "(gnus)Fancy Mail Splitting") ]
| `junk'
|      If the split is the symbol `junk', then don't save (i.e., delete)
|      this message.  Use with extreme caution.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Immediate deletion of mail
@ 2008-02-27  7:35   ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2008-02-27  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Quoth Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>:
> On Tue, Feb 26 2008, Sebastian Tennant wrote:
>
>> How to immediately delete mail in a particular group?
>
> `B DEL' (`gnus-summary-delete-article') as suggested by Adam is one
> possibility.

I should have added "without ever having to visit that group."  I want
the group to act like /dev/null essentially.

>> I've added the group to gnus-total-expirable-newsgroups and set the
>> expiry period for that group to 'immediate, using
>> nnmail-expiry-wait-function,
>
> I can't parse this.  Better post code.

  ;;; Newsgroups in which mail should expire
  (setq gnus-total-expirable-newsgroups "Gmail\\|moley\\|blackhole")

  ;;; Email pre-expiry period according to group
  (setq nnmail-expiry-wait-function
        (lambda (group)
          (cond ((string= group "Gmail")      90)
                ((string= group "moley")      30)
                ((string= group "blackhole") 'immediate)
                (t                            7))))

This arrangement works as it stands.  Each time I quit the summary
buffer of 'blackhole' any read mail is immediately expired but I don't
want to read it.  I don't even want to visit the group in the first
place.  I just want mail split to 'blackhole' to disappear.

Is this possible?

Sebastian

* Re: Immediate deletion of mail
@ 2008-02-26 22:40 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-02-26 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, Feb 26 2008, Sebastian Tennant wrote:

> How to immediately delete mail in a particular group?

`B DEL' (`gnus-summary-delete-article') as suggested by Adam is one
possibility.

> I've added the group to gnus-total-expirable-newsgroups and set the
> expiry period for that group to 'immediate, using
> nnmail-expiry-wait-function,

I can't parse this.  Better post code.

Note:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Expiring Mail") ]
`----

> but I now need a way to automatically mark all mail arriving in that
> group as read so that it is, indeed, expired.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Immediate deletion of mail
@ 2008-02-26 21:17 Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2008-02-26 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi list,

How to immediately delete mail in a particular group?

I've added the group to gnus-total-expirable-newsgroups and set the
expiry period for that group to 'immediate, using
nnmail-expiry-wait-function, but I now need a way to automatically mark
all mail arriving in that group as read so that it is, indeed, expired.

Or am I going about this all wrong?

Sebastian