* Attachments in forwarded messages garbled
@ 2006-11-08  5:12 David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2006-11-08  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ever since I made the switch to Linux for my main machine, I've been
having the problem that when I forward (gnus-summary-mail-forward) a
message that contains an attachment, the recipent gets a garbled
version of the original attachment.

I am using a CVS version of Emacs.  I see this effect both with the
version of Gnus it ships with and with a CVS HEAD version of Gnus.  I
have unfortunately been unable to test this with a release version
(21.4) of emacs; Gnus just won't start up for me in that version :(

I would really appreciate some help with this; it's becoming a major
productivity drain.

Thanks in advance,

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

* Re: Attachments in forwarded messages garbled
@ 2006-11-08  9:45 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-11-08  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Nov 08 2006, David Abrahams wrote:

> Ever since I made the switch to Linux for my main machine, I've been
> having the problem that when I forward (gnus-summary-mail-forward) a
> message that contains an attachment, the recipent gets a garbled
> version of the original attachment.

Without *any* kind of information what is kind of problem the
"garbled" message/attachment has, it's next to impossible to help you.
You might send such a message to gmane.test or send us a gzipped mbox
of the received message.  Be sure not to include private stuff.

> I am using a CVS version of Emacs.

In this article, you used Emacs 23 (CVS unicode branch; experimental).
Please try to reproduce the problem with Emacs 22 (CVS trunk or
pretest tarball).

> I see this effect both with the version of Gnus it ships with and
> with a CVS HEAD version of Gnus.  I have unfortunately been unable
> to test this with a release version (21.4) of emacs; Gnus just won't
> start up for me in that version :(

Independent from the attachment problem, it might be worth to debug
this problem.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Attachments in forwarded messages garbled
@ 2006-11-08 17:19   ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2006-11-08 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Wed, Nov 08 2006, David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> Ever since I made the switch to Linux for my main machine, I've been
>> having the problem that when I forward (gnus-summary-mail-forward) a
>> message that contains an attachment, the recipent gets a garbled
>> version of the original attachment.
>
> Without *any* kind of information what is kind of problem the
> "garbled" message/attachment has, it's next to impossible to help you.
> You might send such a message to gmane.test or send us a gzipped mbox
> of the received message.  Be sure not to include private stuff.

I will arrange such a test in a follow-up message.

>> I am using a CVS version of Emacs.
>
> In this article, you used Emacs 23 (CVS unicode branch; experimental).
> Please try to reproduce the problem with Emacs 22 (CVS trunk or
> pretest tarball).

I did it already with the HEAD of the CVS trunk and the result is the
same.  I am having a very hard time figuring out which tags correspond
to various releases.

>> I see this effect both with the version of Gnus it ships with and
>> with a CVS HEAD version of Gnus.  I have unfortunately been unable
>> to test this with a release version (21.4) of emacs; Gnus just won't
>> start up for me in that version :(
>
> Independent from the attachment problem, it might be worth to debug
> this problem.

Yes, it might.  But the other problem is more critical to me.

--

@ 2006-11-08 17:28   ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2006-11-08 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Without *any* kind of information what is kind of problem the
> "garbled" message/attachment has, it's next to impossible to help you.
> You might send such a message to gmane.test or send us a gzipped mbox
> of the received message.  Be sure not to include private stuff.

If Gnus cooperates, this message should include two enclosures: an
inline image (the Boost logo) and a forwarded email message.  The
original email message being forwarded contained a copy of the same
image (inline), and it was received cleanly.

[-- Attachment #2: boost.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 6308 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 9034 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3.1.1: boost.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 6302 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3.1.2: Type: text/plain, Size: 61 bytes --]

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

@ 2006-11-08 17:54     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-11-08 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 08/11/06, David Abrahams wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>
>> Without *any* kind of information what is kind of problem the
>> "garbled" message/attachment has, it's next to impossible to help you.
>> You might send such a message to gmane.test or send us a gzipped mbox
>> of the received message.  Be sure not to include private stuff.
>
> If Gnus cooperates, this message should include two enclosures: an
> inline image (the Boost logo) and a forwarded email message.  The
> original email message being forwarded contained a copy of the same
> image (inline), and it was received cleanly.

I can't see the second image with Gnus 5.11.

--
Leo

* Re: Attachments in forwarded messages garbled
@ 2006-11-08 20:38       ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2006-11-08 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 08/11/06, David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>>
>>> Without *any* kind of information what is kind of problem the
>>> "garbled" message/attachment has, it's next to impossible to help you.
>>> You might send such a message to gmane.test or send us a gzipped mbox
>>> of the received message.  Be sure not to include private stuff.
>>
>> If Gnus cooperates, this message should include two enclosures: an
>> inline image (the Boost logo) and a forwarded email message.  The
>> original email message being forwarded contained a copy of the same
>> image (inline), and it was received cleanly.
>>

> I can't see the second image with Gnus 5.11.

Right, that's the whole point.  If you look at the raw text of the
message (`C-u g') you'll see two instances therein of the following:

but the 2nd one is garbled so as to be invisible (in this case).  In
more recent Gnusen you'll see an empty box where the image should be.

--

@ 2006-11-10  0:27     ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2006-11-10  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 08 2006, David Abrahams wrote:
>>
>>> Ever since I made the switch to Linux for my main machine, I've been
>>> having the problem that when I forward (gnus-summary-mail-forward) a
>>> message that contains an attachment, the recipent gets a garbled
>>> version of the original attachment.
>>
>> Without *any* kind of information what is kind of problem the
>> "garbled" message/attachment has, it's next to impossible to help you.
>> You might send such a message to gmane.test or send us a gzipped mbox
>> of the received message.  Be sure not to include private stuff.
>
> I will arrange such a test in a follow-up message.

Was there insufficient information?  Is there anything else I
should do?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting