* gnus-summary-scroll-up scrolls one page instead of one line
@ 2006-10-23 17:11 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-10-23 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

since a few days my CVS Gnus has some scrolling problems. If I view an
article by hitting RET (`gnus-summary-scroll-up') on it in *Summary*, I
get the following behavior:

  - as long as there are visible headers (Subject, From, etc.) on top of
    the buffer, pressing RET scrolls exactly one line as it should be.

  - when the last visible header scrolled out of the visible buffer part
    pressing ret results in scrolling one entire page like SPACE
    (`gnus-summary-next-page') does.

How can I get back to the old behavior, e.g. RET always scrolls only one
line?

Bye and thanks,
Tassilo
--
* delYsid has mortgage, opportunity and penis in his score file.
<delYsid> thats pretty effective against spam

* Re: gnus-summary-scroll-up scrolls one page instead of one line
@ 2006-10-23 21:10 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-10-23 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 23 2006, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> since a few days my CVS Gnus has some scrolling problems.

Could you try to identify the responsible change (using the -D
argument of cvs)?

Anyhow, if the problem is only in the CVS version, you'd better ask on
the ding list.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus-summary-scroll-up scrolls one page instead of one line
@ 2006-10-24 11:33   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-10-24 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Reiner,

>> since a few days my CVS Gnus has some scrolling problems.
>
> Could you try to identify the responsible change (using the -D
> argument of cvs)?

Sure, but it seems not be be Gnus' fault. I'm sure that I have these
scrolling issues for about one or two weeks, but even the version you
get with `cvs up -D 2006-08-01' suffers from the same problem.

So it seems I have to do the same with my emacs checkout. Could you name
the files in emacs which could cause the issue, so that I have a clue to
when I should downgrade? (It's building about 25 minutes, so try and
error is to costly...)

Bye and thanks,
Tassilo
--
          "Emacs is not a development tool but a way of life."
                - David Kastrup in alt.religion.emacs -

* Re: gnus-summary-scroll-up scrolls one page instead of one line
@ 2006-10-24 12:29     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-10-24 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 24 2006, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> So it seems I have to do the same with my emacs checkout. Could you name
> the files in emacs which could cause the issue, so that I have a clue to
> when I should downgrade? (It's building about 25 minutes, so try and
> error is to costly...)

Sorry, I don't see any obvious changes in src/ChangeLog and
lisp/ChangeLog.  Please report it on emacs-devel or emacs-pretest-bugs
(M-x report-emacs-bug RET).  Preferably, try to reproduce the problem
with the bundled Gnus version (5.11).  Be sure to do this on a
different account or HOME directory, because downgrading Gnus may lead
to problems.

FWIW, I can't reproduce the problem, neither with my usual settings
nor with a very minimal setup (neither with No Gnus nor 5.11).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus-summary-scroll-up scrolls one page instead of one line
@ 2006-10-24 15:56       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-10-24 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Reiner,

> Sorry, I don't see any obvious changes in src/ChangeLog and
> lisp/ChangeLog.  Please report it on emacs-devel or emacs-pretest-bugs
> (M-x report-emacs-bug RET).  Preferably, try to reproduce the problem
> with the bundled Gnus version (5.11).  Be sure to do this on a
> different account or HOME directory, because downgrading Gnus may lead
> to problems.

I tried it on my test account, and all worked fine. But I was able to
locate the source of the problem. Fasten your seat belts -- one
customized face is causing the trouble!

(custom-set-faces
 '(mode-line ((((class color) (min-colors 88)) (:background "darkred" :foreground "grey" :box (:line-width 1 :style released-button) :height 0.8 :family "helvetica")))))

If I commend out this line, scrolling works as it should. With this line
I can reproduce the bug in both No Gnus and 5-11.

> FWIW, I can't reproduce the problem, neither with my usual settings
> nor with a very minimal setup (neither with No Gnus nor 5.11).

Could you try to reproduce it with my `custom-set-faces'?

I'm going to report the bug via `report-emacs-bug' anyways.

Bye and thanks,
Tassilo

* Re: gnus-summary-scroll-up scrolls one page instead of one line
@ 2006-10-24 18:55         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-10-24 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 24 2006, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> I tried it on my test account, and all worked fine. But I was able to
> locate the source of the problem. Fasten your seat belts -- one
> customized face is causing the trouble!
>
> (custom-set-faces '(mode-line ((((class color) (min-colors 88))
> (:background "darkred" :foreground "grey" :box (:line-width 1 :style
> released-button) :height 0.8 :family "helvetica")))))

A proportional font for `mode-line' has been suggested recently in
some newsgroup or list.  Have you changed the face `mode-line'
recently, i.e. there's probably no recent relevant change in Emacs or
Gnus?

> If I commend out this line, scrolling works as it should. With this line
> I can reproduce the bug in both No Gnus and 5-11.
[...]
> Could you try to reproduce it with my `custom-set-faces'?

":line-width 1" seems to be the culprit (the default is -1, see
`faces.el').

(set-face-attribute 'mode-line nil
		    :box '(:line-width 1 :style released-button))

> I'm going to report the bug via `report-emacs-bug' anyways.

You may Cc ding (it's possible that the bug is in Gnus).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus-summary-scroll-up scrolls one page instead of one line
@ 2006-10-24 21:20           ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-10-24 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Reiner,

> A proportional font for `mode-line' has been suggested recently in
> some newsgroup or list.

Yep, that was Kim Storm's answer
(<mailman.7811.1160142023.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>) to my question
on gnu.emacs.help.

> Have you changed the face `mode-line' recently, i.e. there's probably
> no recent relevant change in Emacs or Gnus?

Yes.

>> If I commend out this line, scrolling works as it should. With this line
>> I can reproduce the bug in both No Gnus and 5-11.
> [...]
>> Could you try to reproduce it with my `custom-set-faces'?
>
> ":line-width 1" seems to be the culprit (the default is -1, see
> `faces.el').

I can confirm this. Changing the box width to -1 fixes the problem.

>> I'm going to report the bug via `report-emacs-bug' anyways.
>
> You may Cc ding (it's possible that the bug is in Gnus).

Sorry, too late. The message still waits for approval on the pretest
mailing list.

Bye and thanks,
Tassilo
--

@ 2006-10-26  8:37             ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-10-26  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> You may Cc ding (it's possible that the bug is in Gnus).
>
> Sorry, too late. The message still waits for approval on the pretest
> mailing list.

Ok, the bug report has hit gmane.emacs.devel:
<E1Gcn4s-0006RB-Ct@fencepost.gnu.org>

Regards,
Tassilo
--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!