* "Intermediate" Gnus use
@ 2003-05-04 11:44 Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2003-05-04 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been using Gnus for a while now, and I mainly use it "out of the
box", with very few tweaks/customisations (I switched on topic mode,
split a few mails, auto-hide threads, archive sent mail, mildly tweak
my summary line, and use posting styles for signatures).

I'm looking where to go next. What's a good area for a relative newbie
to look at for customisation ideas? I like the 3-pane look of many
Windows newsreaders (groups, summary, and article panes), but I've
never got a reasonable equivalent in Gnus. I don't know if it's worth
trying for.

Other than that, I dunno. Any suggestions?

Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank

* Re: "Intermediate" Gnus use
@ 2003-05-05  3:50 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2003-05-05  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Moore <gustav@morpheus.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I've been using Gnus for a while now, and I mainly use it "out of the
> box", with very few tweaks/customisations (I switched on topic mode,
> split a few mails, auto-hide threads, archive sent mail, mildly tweak
> my summary line, and use posting styles for signatures).
>
> I'm looking where to go next. What's a good area for a relative newbie
> to look at for customisation ideas? I like the 3-pane look of many
> Windows newsreaders (groups, summary, and article panes), but I've
> never got a reasonable equivalent in Gnus. I don't know if it's worth
> trying for.

That's actually probably a reasonable exercise.  At some point, when
you get into more advanced Gnus customizations, you're probably going
to need to learn some elisp.  'C-h v' will tell you about a variable,
'C-h f' about a function.  In this case, you'd need to adjust
gnus-buffer-configuration, probably to have the layout you want for
the group, summary, and article configurations.
info://gnus/Window+Layout has details on what you can change with
this.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell